Publisher and direct-mail pioneer Frank Johnson '34 is dead

Frank H. Johnson 1934 passed away on March 9, 2001. He was eighty-eight and a resident of New York City.

While at Kenyon, Frank was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma. According to the New York Times, his claim to fame at Kenyon was that after forgetting to study for an examination in medieval English literature, he made up a wild story about dragons. The professor gave him an A+ and wrote, "You write most entertainingly on a subject you know nothing about." Frank left Kenyon in the middle of his junior year because of financial difficulties resulting from the Depression and completed his education at Ohio State University in 1934.

Frank then took a job as an office boy at Time, Inc., where his responsibilities included sharpening Henry Luce's pencils. He rose through the ranks to the position of circulation director of Life magazine. After four years in the Army Air Corps, he returned to Time to be circulation-promotion manager of Fortune magazine from 1949 to 1957, the heyday of direct-mail subscription sales.

Frank, a pioneer in direct-mail advertising, found novel ways to grab readers' attention. His correspondence invaded millions of homes, and because of many people's resentment of this invasion, he strove to show his readers respect. Frank assumed that people had dictionaries and flattered their intelligence by refusing to talk down to them. Modest about his accomplishments in the field, he said, in a 1999 interview with Boardroom magazine, "Direct mail has been written for many years before any of us were born, and we all swiped from whomever the originators were."

Though Frank wrote thousands of letters over the signatures of company or organization heads, he sometimes used the name David Forrest, a name he made up and never explained. According to his daughter, Judith Thoms, while nobody knew who he was, unless they thought he was David Forrest, he received a steady stream of fan mail.

In 1957, Frank joined a group of former executives from Time to start American Heritage Publishing Company. He wrote and managed the advertising campaigns for American Heritage and its sister magazine, Horizon, as well as promoting dozens of books published by the company.

After twenty years with American Heritage, Frank became a freelance consultant. He counted among his clients the Audubon Society, the Bronx Zoo, the Guggenheim and Metropolitan museums, Harper's, Ms, and Newsweek.

In addition to his daughter Judith, Frank is survived by another daughter, Deborah Johnson; a son, Allan Johnson; and six grandchildren.

Hawthorne expert C.E. Frazer Clark '51 dies at seventy-five

C.E. Frazer Clark Jr. '51 on June 9, 2001. He was seventy-five and a resident of AuTrain, Michigan.

Frazer initially enrolled at the University of Michigan but soon left to join the U.S. Army. He served in the 87th Infantry Division and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. After the war, Fraser enrolled at Kenyon, where he developed an interest in Nathaniel Hawthorne that continued into graduate school at Wayne State University.

While writing his thesis on Hawthorne, Frazer was employed at Charles S. Boesen's antiquarian book store in Detroit, where he was transformed from a Hawthorne buff into a serious collector when he found a previously undiscovered first edition of The Scarlet Letter, signed by the author. He amassed the most comprehensive research archive of Hawthorne's works ever, collecting books and other memorabilia and artifacts about the author. Frazer, who lectured widely on Hawthorne, was a bibliographer and a friend of libraries, including Kenyon's, to which he donated the one-hundred-volume series Dictionary of Literary Biography and the series companion, the DLB Yearbook.

Frazer, who wrote Nathaniel Hawthorne: A Descriptive Bibliography, published in 1978, ultimately owned every separately published work of Hawthorne, save two. In 1989, he donated his thirty-thousand-item Hawthorne collection of books and artifacts, dividing them between the House of the Seven Gables and the Peabody Essex Institute, both located in Hawthorne's birthplace, Salem, Massachusetts.

Frazer wrote bibliographical and biographical articles about the author and catalogued Hawthorne exhibits that he mounted around the world. The catalogues were usually designed by his wife, Margaret Ann Clark, who survives him.

Frazer was cofounder, with Matthew Bruccoli of the University of South Carolina, of Bruccoli Clark Publishing, which began as a publisher of annuals and limited editions of unpublished writings of authors such as Robert Coover, James Gould Couzzens, and James Dickey.

"It was Frazer who took me under his wing the night of the Old Kenyon fire," recalls classmate Will Pilcher '51. "I went home with him to 'T' barracks. After a sleepless night, I took the bus home to McArthur, Ohio, where my father, LeRoy Pilcher '17 was, unknown to me at the time, dying of pancreatic cancer. When I got back, I lived with Frazer until the Alumni House was ready to take in many of the fire's survivors for the balance of the year."

In addition to his wife, Frazer is survived by two sons, Douglas A. and C.E. Frazer Clark III, a grandson, and a brother and a sister. Memorial contributions may be made to the House of the Seven Gables, 54 Turner Street, Salem, Massachusetts 01970.

Public relations whiz Patrick Jackson '54 is dead at sixty-eight

Patrick J. Jackson 1954 died on March 22, 2001. He was sixty-eight and a resident of Rye, New Hampshire.

Pat enrolled at Kenyon as a married student with a newborn son. Despite having to work nearly full time to support his family, he played football and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. Pat left Kenyon after two years because of financial difficulties, but he went on to earn a master's degree in organizational development from Antioch University in 1979.

John F. Barton '54 was a high-school acquaintance of Pat and his first wife, Shirley. "We became good friends at Kenyon, where I visited them in the quonset huts designated for married-student housing," said Barton. "I'm so glad he won recognition for his work in public relations. News of his death brought back memories of those Kenyon times, when we were young and eager to get on with our lives."

Pat founded Jackson Jackson and Wagner (JJ&W), a behavioral public-relations management consulting firm in 1956, and became one of the most widely known and respected practitioners in the field. Often referred to as "the public-relations counselor's counsel," he was respected by his peers for his passion for advancing the profession and his involvement in the education of practitioners and students.

Under Pat's leadership in the 1960s and 70s, JJ&W concentrated on public interest and activist groups in the civil liberties, civil rights, consumer, and other movements. It is considered the first public-relations firm to practice in the area of environmental issues and grassroots movements, beginning in 1964.

JJ&W's research subsidiary, Dudley Research, was founded in 1982 with a philosophy based on the premise that true public-relations research is "rooted in what motivates a person to act."

Pat was an editor for pr reporter for more than three decades. The newsletter is one of the foremost international public-relations journals, featuring cutting-edge theories and advice.

Pat was elected in 1980 to serve as president of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA). He served as a trustee on numerous boards, including those of Antioch University, the First Amendment Congress, and the Society for the Protection of New Hampshire Forests.

Pat is survived by his wife, Stacey E. Smith, and their children, Alexandra and Jeremy, as well as daughters Pamela Sadler and Roberta Trefts; sons Richard W. and Kevin S. Jackson; twenty-one grandchildren; eight great-grandchildren; and a brother T. Michael Jackson. Memorial contributions may be made to the Patrick Jackson Memorial Fund, PRSA Foundation, 33 Irving Place, New York, New York 10003, or the New Hampshire Environmental Foundation, c/o JJ&W, 14 Front Street, Exeter, New Hampshire 03833.

Richard Golumb '67, baby boomer symbol, dies at fifty-five

Richard Golomb '67 succumbed to colon cancer on August 14, 2001. He was fifty-five and a resident of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

A biology major at Kenyon, Richard was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity.

Richard had an interest in wildlife from an early age and after graduation from Kenyon he took a job as a zoologist for the Pittsburgh Children's Zoo. Although he was enthusiastic about the work, he was also a married man with children and found the job did not provide enough income to support a family. Richard tried a stint in his family's glass and paint business, but found it unfulfilling. When he was thirty, already divorced and the veteran of two career attempts, he started dating a woman who was a photographer. She inspired him to try photography as a career, and it was as a commercial photographer that Richard found success. He also achieved recognition for his personal photographic work, which often included close-up images of the natural world.

Richard never abandoned his passion for wildlife, and he raised boa constrictors, exotic frogs, lizards, pythons, and tortoises for thirty years.

A natural athlete, he took up tennis at the age of twenty-five and, without so much as a lesson, became a nationally ranked amateur. Also a runner, he ran in Pittsburgh's Great Race from its inception until he was diagnosed with colon cancer in early 2000.

His friend Ronald C. Weingrad '67 writes, "I had enriching and funny experiences with Richard that are too numerous to mention. His sense of humor and his love of family and life made for a person who will be missed by everyone who crossed his path. He enriched us all by his presence, sometimes without anyone even knowing it. During his life, Richard made many anonymous donations to the poor and suffering because, as he often said, 'I've been blessed by my membership in the lucky sperm club and most people cannot say the same.'"

In 1995, Richard was the subject of one of a series of articles in the Wall Street Journal on baby boomers turning fifty. Reflecting on the decline in health of his parents, and the reality that he had more years behind him than ahead, he said, "I don't want to lose the capacity to be amused, joyful, in awe of the world." His regrets centered on his failed marriages, although his wives were never bitter and, in fact, provided care in his last illness. Ironically, Richard was quoted in the article as saying, "I've seen an awful lot of people put things off and then the Fates intervened." He spent a great deal of time valuing his family and friends just in case.

Richard is survived by his wife, Sharon Voas; two daughters, Lisa Golomb Zaretsky and Alice Golomb; two grandchildren; and a brother, Louis Golomb.

Joshua H. Kaneko '27 on January 8, 1997. He was ninety-six and a resident of Harunamachi, Japan.

Joshua entered Kenyon in 1926 after having completed a bachelor of arts degree at St. Paul's (Rikkyo) University in Tokyo, Japan. He continued his education at Ohio State University, Columbia University, and Oxford University. From 1929 until 1966, Joshua was a professor at St. Paul's University; in 1971, he moved to Tsuru Bunka College in Yamanashi Prefecture, where he remained until his retirement in 1978. In addition to his teaching, Joshua was director of Jomo Airinsha, a private social-welfare agency in his native city of Maebashi.

Joshua was the author of Manjiro, The Man Who Discovered America, published in 1956. The true story recounts the life of Nakahama Manjiro, a fourteen-year-old Japanese fisherman's son who was shipwrecked in 1841 and rescued by the captain of an American whaler. After becoming the first Japanese to be educated in the United States, he returned to Japan, despite the threat of execution, to help bring his people into the modern world. Compass-America Productions has secured exclusive film and television rights to Joshua's book.

Joshua is survived by his wife of sixty-five years, Hisako Oizumi Kaneko. Memorial contributions may be made to the general scholarship fund of Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Robert Scholle 1928 on December 23, 1993. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Cleveland, Ohio.

Robert spent his life as a purchasing agent, working in the steel, aircraft, and nuclear industries. In 1960, he became a freelance manufacturer's representative. Robert retired in 1976 and, with one of his sons, purchased a picture-framing operation. A granddaughter took over the business in 1991.

Robert is survived by a daughter, Marian Hong; four sons, Richard, William, Douglas, and Thomas Scholle; twenty grandchildren; and fourteen great-grandchildren.

Arthur D. Wolfe 1931 on May 23, 2000. He was ninety and a resident of Erie, Ohio.

At Kenyon, Art was a member of the golf team, the Reveille staff, and Sigma Pi. In 1934, he joined the company that later became the Bellvue Manufacturing Company as a sales manager. Art rose through the ranks, becoming president in 1950 and finally chairman of the board in the 1970s. Over the years, Art was active on the boards of International Metal Hose Company (which Bellvue Manufacturing purchased), Union Bank and Savings Company, Yingling Machine Corporation, and 84 Whittlesey Corporation.

Art is survived by his wife, Helen Fisher Wolfe, a daughter, Monica Mincheff, and a son, Arthur L. Wolfe.

Rev. Baird B. Coffin '32 on December 29, 2000. He was eighty-eight and a resident of Riverside, California.

A chemistry major at Kenyon, Baird was a member of Psi Upsilon. He received his law degree from George Washington University in 1935 and won admission to the bar in Washington, D.C. After service as a government employee from 1933 to 1936, Baird joined the Outdoor Advertising Association of America, where he worked until 1941. During World War II, he worked in defense plants. After the war, Baird moved to Laguna Beach, California, where he was postmaster until 1952. He opened a private law practice in 1952, which he operated until his retirement on January 1, 1988. Baird, who was deeply committed to the Episcopal Church, was ordained to the order of Perpetual Deacons in 1956 and to the priesthood in May 1959.

Baird is survived by his wife, Carol Combs Baird; three daughters, Carol Coffin Kreppel, Susan Coffin Croll, and Corionna Coffin Shinen; and four granddaughters.

George G. Gilbert '34 on September 12, 1995. He was eighty-two and a resident of Greensboro, North Carolina.

A biology and chemistry major at Kenyon, George attended medical school at Johns Hopkins University, where he earned his M.D. He went on to complete a residency in genito-urinary surgery at Duke University. After serving in the U.S. Navy from 1944 to 1946, he practiced medicine in Asheville, North Carolina, until his retirement in 1981.

George is survived by two stepsons.

John B. Tritsch '34 on July 11, 2001. He was eighty-nine and a resident of Jekyll Island, Georgia.

At Kenyon, John was a member of Beta Theta Pi and the football team. He worked for Frigidaire Division of General Motors Corporation (originally Frigidaire Sales Corporation) from 1945 until his retirement as sales manager in 1972. John served the College as a class agent for many years.

John is survived by his wife, Lois Zollinger Tritsch; two daughters, Patricia A. Trumbull and Deborah J. White; a son, John P. Tritsch '66; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Diabetes Association, Always and Forever Memorial Honor Program, Attention: ADA Web, Box 2680, North Canton, Ohio 44720.

Merrill "Bud" MacNamee '34 on May 15, 2001. He was eighty-eight and a resident of Brooksville, Florida.

A philosophy major at Kenyon, Bud was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the football and track teams. He served in the U.S. Navy from 1944 to 1946. A representative of the National Life Insurance Company of Vermont, Bud was an associate of the H.F. Johnson National Life general agency in Chicago, Illinois, for many years until establishing his own brokerage firm, Merrill W. MacNamee and Associates. He retired to Florida in 1983.

Bud is survived by his wife, Martha Purnell MacNamee; a daughter, Sandra L. Kahler; a son, Jeffrey M. MacNamee; and five grandsons.

Robert E. Lawless '35 on November 11, 1996. He was eighty-three and a resident of Pensacola, Florida.

Bob was a designated naval aviator who remained in the naval reserve until he retired as a captain in 1967. He retired as a captain that same year from American Airlines. Bob, who held a master's degree in education, then taught mathematics at John Tyler Community College until 1981.

There are no known survivors.

Robert L. Boyd '36 on June 16, 1999. He was eighty-four and a resident of Newport News, Virginia.

Bob was a physics major at Kenyon and a member of Sigma Pi. He also earned membership in Phi Beta Kappa and Tau Kappa Alpha honor societies. During World War II, from 1942 until 1946, Bob served as a first lieutenant in the Army Corps of Engineers. His distinguished career of more than forty years in the field of electric heating and air-conditioning technology included positions as a consultant for the National Association of Home Builders Research Foundation and the Climate Control Division of Singer Company. Bob held three patents and published many articles on subjects related to heating, refrigeration, and air conditioning. From 1971 to 1974, he was associate professor of air-conditioning technology at the State University of New York at Alfred. In 1975, Bob started his own firm, Southern Tier Industrial Consultants, in Olean, New York, from which he retired in 1978. An American Association of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers fellow and life member, he was honored with a Fifty-Year Distinguished Service Award.

Bob is survived by two daughters, Mary Ellen Motz and Barbara B. Hall; a son, Robert Lee Boyd III; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Bickford H. Cogswell '36 on September 22, 1995. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Gurnee, Illinois.

Bickford transferred to Kenyon in 1934 from Pennsylvania State University. He was a member of Phi Delta Theta.

Bickford is survived by his wife, Doris Hazeltine Cogswell, a daughter, Anne R. Cogswell, and a son, Anthony H. Cogswell.

Rev. John D. Hughes '37 B'49 on April 25, 2001. He was eighty-five and a resident of Bolton, Connecticut.

John earned highest honors in history at Kenyon, where he was a member of Middle Kenyon Society and Tau Kappa Alpha. After graduation, he went to work for the Curtis Publishing Company in Youngstown, Ohio. During World War II, John served as a staff sergeant with the U.S. Army Engineers in Asia. At the conclusion of the war, he entered Bexley Hall Seminary, where he received a divinity degree in 1949, and then pursued further studies at the Oberlin Graduate School of Theology from 1951 to 1952. He served as rector of St. James' Episcopal Church in Bucyrus until 1952, when he became the first resident vicar of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Greencastle, Indiana, and chaplain for the Episcopalian students at DePauw University. John next moved to Liverpool, New York, to serve St. Matthew's Church and then went on to serve various churches within the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut for more than forty years, beginning with St. Paul's Episcopal in 1959 and concluding with service as an interim priest from 1967 until his death.

John is survived by his wife of forty-six years, Helen Slade Hughes; two daughters, Cynthia Southern and Mary Wright; two sons, William H. and John D. Hughes; six grandchildren; a brother, Willard Hughes; and several nieces and nephews. Memorial contributions may be made to St. George's Episcopal Church Memorial Fund, Box 9158, Bolton, Connecticut 06043.

Joseph R. Sammon 1937 on February 28, 2001. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Lyndhurst, Ohio.

At Kenyon, Joe was a member of Beta Theta Pi. While serving with the Army Aviation Fire-fighting Platoon in Europe during World War II, he was awarded the Soldier's Medal, for risking his life to help rescue four airmen from a burning, explosives-filled Lancaster bomber that had crash-landed on the airfield where he was stationed in England. Following the war, Joe joined the Cleveland, Ohio, fire department, which he served for forty-one years.

"Although Joe did not complete his four years at Kenyon, he could always be counted on for financial and social support," said his friend Allen H. Neff '37. Joe and Allen, a member of Alpha Delta Phi, founded the Rye Bucks Society, a social club whose descendants continued the association for many years.

Joe is survived by his wife, Susan Palcisko Sammon; two daughters, Carolyn Fallara and Jacqueline Moreno; four grandchildren; a great-granddaughter; and a brother, John V. Sammon '38. Memorial contributions may be made to the Burn Unit, MetroHealth Medical Center, 2500 MetroHealth Drive, Cleveland, Ohio 44109.

Robert F. Stamm '37 on April 1, 2001. He was eighty-six and a resident of Sedona, Arizona.

At Kenyon, Bob was a chemistry major, with additional interests in physics and mathematics, and a member of Sigma Pi. He won election to Phi Beta Kappa and Sigma Xi and honors in his major, as well as letters in basketball, football, and tennis. Bob went on to complete a doctorate in physical chemistry at Iowa State University and then spent his professional career as a research physicist at Cyanamid Corporation and Clairol, Inc. He published extensively in his field and held thirty patents. Upon his retirement in 1982, Bob made all the energy calculations and designed a passive solar-energy house, which he had built in Sedona, and where he spent his retirement years. The house required almost no heating from the back-up furnace or wood stove, and it did not have an air conditioner.

Bob is survived by his wife, Isabel, and a brother, D. Eugene Stamm '28.

Rev. Ralph H. Weeks 1937 on June 29, 2000. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Anchorage, Alaska.

Ralph moved to Alaska in 1938, taking a job as boy's supervisor, athletic coach, and teacher at Sheldon Jackson School in Sitka. During World War II, he and his wife were government teachers in Noorvik while Ralph served as captain of the Territorial Guard. In 1947, they returned to Sitka, helping to establish Mount Edgecumbe boarding school, where Ralph was a teacher and later chaplain. He studied theology at San Francisco Theological Seminary and, after graduating in 1953, he was ordained a Presbyterian minister. His first assignment was as missionary pastor from Delta Junction to Fairbanks, Alaska. In 1954, Ralph and his family moved to Woodland Park Presbyterian Church in Spenard, and he continued his ministry to natives, spending hours in ministry at the Alaska Native Hospital and in evangelism in native Alaskan villages. In 1970, the Yukon Presbytery assigned him to the Arctic Parish, including six village churches in Gambell, Savoonga, Wainwright, Barrow, Kaktovik, and Anaktuvuk Pass. Ralph took his first retirement in 1978 and spent the next ten years crisscrossing the lower forty-eight states raising money to train Alaska-native lay pastors. In 1981, he was instrumental in establishing Alaska Presbyterian-Reformed Ministries.

Ralph is survived by his wife of fifty-nine years, Louise Miley Weeks; three daughters, Caroline Prosser, Joan White, and Isabella McConnell; five grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

David W. Albee '39 on October 8, 2001. He was eighty-four and a resident of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

At Kenyon, David was a history major and a member of Phi Kappa Sigma. He served as a supply sergeant in the U.S. Army during World War II. After the war, David was a product inspector for the General Motors Corporation.

David is survived by his wife of fifty-five years, Evelyn; two daughters, Margaret "Mikki" Day and Patricia Price; six grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; a sister, Elizabeth Frier; and a number of nieces and nephews.

William T. Alexander '39 on August 5, 2001. He was eighty-five and a resident of Parma Heights, Ohio.

A member of Beta Theta Pi at Kenyon, Bill graduated magna cum laude with honors in economics and won election to Phi Beta Kappa in his junior year. After graduation, he worked for United Airlines and then was drafted into the U.S. Army in 1941 and sent to Officer Candidate School. Bill then served as a captain in the field artillery and unit commander with the 806th Tank Destroyer Battalion in the Asia-Pacific Theater and the Philippines from 1945 until the end of the war. He remained active in the army reserves as the commander of the 317th Tank Battalion, which was called back to active duty during the Korean War. Bill was promoted to major and stationed at Camp Polk in Louisiana and in Japan. For many years following that war, he was a sales manager for Ernest F. Donley and Sons, a construction equipment company in Cleveland, Ohio. In 1977, he purchased the automotive equipment portion of the business and became president of Ohio Tool Warehouse.

Bill is survived by his wife, Barbara "Bobbie" Alexander; a daughter, Judith Alexander Dobbins; and a grandson, William James Dobbins. Bill was preceded in death by his brother, James R. Alexander '35. Memorial contributions may be made to Kenyon College in care of the Office of Development, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Richard C. Kaulback 1939 on August 16, 2000. He was eighty-four and a resident of Camp Hill, Pennsylvania.

After leaving Kenyon, Richard attended the University of Pittsburgh. He was a World War II veteran of the U.S. Army Air Force. Richard made his career as a U.S. Customs officer.

Richard is survived by his wife, Marian Keefe Kaulback. Memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, Building 2, Suite 321, 2001 North Front Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17102.

Col. Lino "Mike" Simmonetti 1939 on July 31, 2001, in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He was eighty-five and a resident of Tuscaloosa, Follansbee, West Virginia, and Pensacola, Florida.

A physics major at Kenyon, Mike was a member of Sigma Pi and an outstanding football player. Col. Lewis F. Treleaven '41 remembers, "Mike was remarkable in that he immigrated from Italy at the age of twelve, unable to speak English, yet in seven years became an Eagle Scout and an all-state football player for two years, and he graduated from high school third in his class. He enlisted in the U.S. Air Force in 1940, and he was commissioned a year later. Mike was then assigned to build air fields in North Eastern India and Burma early in World War II, when those areas were under Japanese attack. He served a total of thirty years in the Air Force, in air control, intelligence, and security, and he was awarded the Legion of Merit, the Bronze Star, four Commendation Medals, and numerous area and campaign awards. Mike was a dedicated public servant and volunteer, serving as Boy Scout Commissioner in several districts as he moved around the world. After retiring from the Air Force, he was assistant administrator of a four-hundred-bed hospital and then executive vice president of the Raritan Valley Regional Chamber of Commerce in New Jersey until his final retirement in the 1980s. In retirement, he spent fall and spring in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, winters in Pensacola, Florida, where he could enjoy fishing and golf, and summers in Follansbee, West Virginia, where he was buried with full military honors provided by Wright-Patterson Air Force Base."

Mike is survived by his wife, Elizabeth Lyons Simonetti; a daughter, Joan Beck; a stepdaughter, Patricia Lyons; a stepson, Robert Lyons; seven step-grandchildren; and nine step-great-grandchildren. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Kenyon Fund, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Robert P. Gray '40 on October 16, 2001, of emphysema. He was eighty-four and a resident of Sun City West, Arizona.

A member of Delta Kappa Epsilon at Kenyon, Robert served as a squadron commander in the U.S. Army Air Corps in the Pacific during World War II. He had a distinguished career with his own advertising agency in Chicago, Illinois, and later, in semiretirement, in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Robert is survived by his wife, Trudy; two daughters, Virginia Gray and Jennifer Bennett; two sons, Bradley and Tom Gray; four grandchildren; and a sister, Bette Smith.

J. Donald Young '40 on August 24, 2001. He was eighty-three and a resident of Hickory, Pennsylvania.

Don, who transferred to Kenyon from Allegheny College, majored in English, joined Delta Tau Delta, and earned his degree cum laude. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Navy from 1940 to 1945 as a submariner stationed in the Pacific. After leaving the service, Don was manager and then president of the J. H. Young Company in Carnegie, Pennsylvania, from 1946 until his retirement in 1984. The company, now located in Rochester, New York, is managed by his son, Roger H. Young '77.

Don is survived by his wife, Billy Mitchell Young; a daughter, Martha Young Bell; two sons, Roger and James H. Young II; a sister, Virginia Scarlett; a brother, Richard A. Young; and six grandchildren.

Rev. Richard R.P. Coombs 1942 on November 1, 2000, of a heart attack. He was eighty and a resident of Spokane, Washington.

Richard attended Kenyon for one year and went on to receive a bachelor's degree from Harvard College and a bachelor of divinity degree from the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Following his ordination, he served parishes in Burlingame and Salinas, California, and in New York City. Richard was appointed dean of St. John's Cathedral in Spokane in 1956 and served that parish until his retirement in 1985. From 1987 to 1989, he was an administrator of St. George's College in Jerusalem. Richard served as a trustee of the church pension fund in New York City for twelve years. He held an honorary doctorate in divinity from the Church Divinity School of the Pacific in Berkeley, California.

Richard is survived by his wife of fifty-one years, Barbara; two daughters, Catherine Moye and Margaret Farris; two sons, David and Peter Coombs; and eight grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist, 127 East 12th Avenue, Spokane, Washington 99202.

Richard W. Stickney '42 on March 16, 2001. He was eighty-one and a resident of Somers, New York. Burial was in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors.

At Kenyon, Richard was a member of Psi Upsilon and the riding and polo clubs. Immediately after graduation, he entered the U.S. Army, where he saw duty in the Battle of the Bulge and was one of the first men across the bridge at Remagen. For his valorous service, Richard was awarded the Purple Heart, the Air Medal, and the Bronze Star. After discharge from the service with the rank of captain, Richard pursued a career in marketing with various companies, including Toledo Scale, American Brake Shoe, Hewitt-Robbins, and, finally, Union Carbide, retiring in 1976.

Richard is survived by his wife, Margaret Fallon Stickney; a brother, John T. Stickney '36; a nephew; and a great-nephew.

Robert L. Costello '43 on June 13, 2001, of cardiac arrest. He was eighty and a resident of Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Robert graduated from Kenyon in December 1942 and went immediately into the U.S. Army, where he served in the European Theater. After the war, he enrolled in forestry school at the University of Michigan, earning master's degrees in botany and biology and a doctorate in botany. Robert began his teaching career at the University of Wisconsin at Milwaukee in 1956 and taught there until his retirement in 1986.

Robert, who leaves no survivors, was preceded in death by six sisters and three brothers, including Roy C. Costello '27.

James Paton III '44 on September 27, 2001. He was seventy-eight and a resident of Louisville, Kentucky.

At Kenyon, Jim was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon. His college career was interrupted by the war, when he left Kenyon in 1943 to serve in the U.S. Army. Accepted to Officer Training School, Jim achieved the rank of lieutenant. After the war, he returned to Kenyon to complete his degree and then went on to earn a master's degree and doctorate from Western Reserve University. Jim spent his career teaching English at Grove City College in Pennsylvania and retired as professor and chairman of the Department of English, Speech, and Drama.

Jim is survived by his wife, Patrice; a daughter, Anne Paton; three granddaughters; and two great-granddaughters. Memorial contributions may be made to the Cabbage Patch Settlement House, 1413 South Sixth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40208.

Thomas F. Smith '44 on August 1, 2001. He was seventy-eight and a resident of Omena, Michigan.

A mathematics major at Kenyon, Tom was a member of Alpha Delta Phi. He entered the U.S. Army Air Force in 1943 and served in aerial photographic intelligence in England, France, and Germany. After the war, Tom earned a master's degree in mathematics at the University of Cincinnati and then went to work for Federated Department Stores as a research director. Upon his retirement, he moved to Omena to manage the family cherry orchard, Thomas S. Smith and Sons. Active in that industry, he received the National Cherry Festival Cherry Promotion Award in 1997.

Tom is survived by his wife, Mary Aler Smith; three daughters, Deborah Disch, Josephine Robertson, and Marian Electa Powell; two sons, Stewart S. and Thomas F. Smith Jr.; ten grandchildren; a great-granddaughter; a sister, Carolin Renz; and a brother, Craig Smith. Memorial contributions may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church, 303 East Pearl Street, Leland, Michigan 49654 or Sharecare of Leelanau, Inc., 215 South High Street, Northport, Michigan 49670.

Thomas D. Schmidt '47 on May 6, 2001. He was seventy-nine and a resident of Rockford, Illinois.

During World War II, Tom served in the U.S. Army. After the war, he completed his education at Kenyon and then joined Gunite Foundry and Wagner Casting, where he worked until his retirement in 1985.

Tom is survived by two sons, Pieter Noble and Thomas Jackson Schmidt; four grandchildren; a brother, John Noble Schmidt '51; and three nieces. Memorial contributions may be made to Burpee Museum of Natural History, 737 North Main Street, Rockford, Illinois 61103-6971.

David C. Weller '46 on November 23, 1999. He was seventy-seven and a resident of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

A physics major at Kenyon, David went on to earn a master's degree from the University of Illinois. During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps. David later pursued a career as an electrical engineer with Bell Telephone Laboratories.

David is survived by his wife, Lucille Gabriel Weller, a daughter, Whitney Weller, and a son, David Weller.

William R. Bowman 1946 on September 27, 1998. He was seventy-four and a resident of Cleveland, Ohio.

Bill served in the U.S. Army during World War II.

Bill is survived by his wife, Loretta, a daughter, Gretchen, and a son, Bill.

Bert H. Anderson Jr. 1949 on September 19, 2001. He was seventy-three and a resident of Grant Park, Illinois.

Bert attended Kenyon for one year. He served in the U.S. Army from 1946 to 1947, stationed in Tokyo, Japan, with General MacArthur. Bert founded an insurance agency in Oak Park, Illinois, in 1950 and operated there until 1983, when he sold the agency to R.N. Crawford and Company. He established Alpha Trust in 1970, the first Illinois multi-employer group-insurance trust. Five years later, Bert founded the Midwest Industrial League, an insurance buying cooperative for forty-eight manufacturers and contractors. He operated as a freelance risk manager from 1988 until his retirement.

Bert is survived by his wife, Lou Berry Anderson; three daughters, Julie Fishman, Amy LaFontant, and Sarah Quinn; two sons, Bert "Knute" Anderson III '70 and Charles Anderson; fifteen grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. Memorial contributions may be made to the Salvation Army, 148 North Harrison Avenue, Kankakee, Illinois 60901.

Kenneth Leith III 1950 on October 10, 2000. He was seventy-four and a resident of Alpine, Texas.

Ken began his higher education at Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia as part of the V-12 program. After serving in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he attended Kenyon for one year and then the University of Wisconsin at Madison. It was there Ken began racing sports cars. He made racing his career until 1967, when he retired to pursue various business interests. An avid historian, Ken was a life-long member of the Sports Car Club of America and Mensa.

Ken is survived by three daughters, Mary Parish, Ann Griess, and Frances Pontasch; a son, Kenneth Leith IV; nine grandchildren; nine great-grandchildren; and a sister, Mary Gordon Rutrough. Memorial contributions may be made to the Alpine Public Library Memorial Fund, 203 North Seventh Street, Alpine, Texas 79830.

Sol Bogen 1952 on September 22, 2001. He was seventy-one and a resident of East Hampton, New York.

Sol attended Kenyon for three years, participating in athletics, student government, theater, and the Collegian. After earning his law degree from Columbia University, he was admitted to the bar in 1954. Sol spent his entire career in the practice of law, specializing in labor law.

Sol is survived by four daughters, Claudia Sullivan and Kimberlee, Melissa, and Kristina Bogen; three grandchildren; and a sister, Sara Bogen. Memorial contributions may be made to the Sol Bogen Classics Studies Scholarship Fund, Kenyon College, Office of Development, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Jay H. Gellens '52 on June 28, 2001, of a stroke. He was seventy-two and a resident of San Diego, California.

At the urging of one of his professors, Jay transferred from Brown University to Kenyon, where he hoped to receive "more concentrated instruction and encouragement" in his study of English and in the development of his talents for writing poetry and critical essays. He went on to earn a Ph.D. at Yale University, where he studied under Maynard Mack and other New Critics. Jay joined the faculty of San Diego State College, now San Diego State University (SDSU), in 1961.

Paul Strand, dean of the College of Arts and Letters at SDSU said about Jay, "Although Jay did write critical essays, he did not want to be known as a critic. He wanted to be known as a novelist and playwright, what he called 'the real thing.' However, it was as a teacher that he truly distinguished himself. Whether he was teaching King Lear in Shakespeare class or The Penal Colony in an introductory literature class, he moved students of all ages and backgrounds by the force and depth of his teaching."

Another colleague, Harlan Lewin, wrote, "Jay created his life rather than following lines laid down by others. At every moment he challenged his students, himself, and whomever he encountered, including myself. . . . Jay was a person to be loved and feared at the same time, a loner who could most intimately get under one's skin. He made one see how truly personal the intellectual life can be."

Jay is survived by two daughters, Kathryn Gellens Reback and Mary Gellens, and three grandchildren.

Richard C. Quick '52 on March 7, 2001. He was seventy-four and a resident of Geneseo, New York.

Dick was drafted while still in high school for service in the U.S. Navy during World War II. A self-confessed indifferent student, he discovered a passion for archaeology while in the service and determined to further his education. Dick earned his degree at Kenyon cum laude and went on to earn a master's degree in library science from Case Western Reserve University. He then joined the staff of the University of Delaware as assistant director of libraries and later held the position of director of libraries at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff. In 1968, Dick became director of college libraries at the State University of New York at Geneseo, and he remained there until his retirement in 1992. He was a trustee of the Wadsworth Library in the Village of Geneseo and a member of the Advisory Council of Librarians for the Rochester Regional Research Library Council. Dick maintained his interest in archaeology and history throughout his life.

Dick is survived by his wife, Christine, whom he married when he was a sophomore at Kenyon; two sons, Jonathon and Andrew Quick; two grandsons; and two sisters, Catharine Ambos and Mary Warren.

John S. Ver Nooy '52 on December 1, 2000. He was seventy and a resident of Fairfield Glade, Tennessee.

A history major at Kenyon, John was a member of Delta Tau Delta. Following graduation, he enlisted in the U.S. Army and served in Japan. John then attended Mexico City College of the University of the Americas, where he earned a master's degree in Latin American history. He then entered the field of sales management and spent his career selling building materials, retiring in May 1991 from Georgia-Pacific Corporation as regional manager of the Gypsum Division.

John is survived by his wife, Jean, a daughter, Jennifer Ver Nooy, and a son, Scott Ver Nooy.

George H. Gordon 1953 on September 4, 2001. He was sixty-nine and a resident of Topeka, Kansas.

George attended Kenyon for three semesters. During that time, he served as business manager of the Collegian and joined Beta Theta Pi. George went on to complete his bachelor's degree at the University of Kansas. For most of his working life, he owned and operated his own property and investment company in Topeka.

George is survived by two sisters, Jean Gordon Dibble and Betsy Gordon Reinhold. Memorial contributions may be made to the Beta Theta Pi Foundation, 5134 Bonham Road, Box 6277, Oxford, Ohio 45056.

Harold "Bud" Meier 1953 on March 21, 2001, of cancer. He was seventy-seven and a resident of St. Anthony, Minnesota.

After leaving Kenyon, where he was a member of Phi Kappa Epsilon, Bud attended the University of Minnesota, where he earned a degree in English. He joined KSTP as a reporter in the early 1950s and worked his way up to news director before leaving in 1964. Bud spent the rest of his career in public relations, first for the 3M Company and later for Carlson Companies and Champion International. He retired in 1985 and then wrote an outdoor column for the Stillwater Gazette for about ten years. An avid fisherman, Bud was the founder of Muskies Inc.

Bud is survived by his wife, Melba Meier; a daughter, Barbara Meier; and a son, Paul Meier.

Robert O. Forsyth '54 on February 10, 2001. He was sixty-nine and a resident of Monroe, Connecticut, and Webster, Massachusetts.

An English major at Kenyon, Bob was a member of the Collegian and Reveille staffs. He played tennis and baseball and joined Beta Theta Pi. After serving in the U.S. Army for a year, Bob joined Perkin-Elmer Corporation, where he was manager of project and production control for seventeen years. He was also a professional tennis player and instructor with the Four Seasons Tennis Club in Wilton, Connecticut, and manager of the tennis programs at the Redding Country Club in Redding, Connecticut, the Net Tennis Club in Islamorada, Florida, and the Ocean Reef Club in North Key Largo, Florida, until his retirement two years ago.

Bob is survived by two daughters, Jennifer H. Zwicky and Christina Benoit; a son, Timothy O. Forsyth; and a grandson. Memorial contributions may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, 919 North Michigan Avenue, Suite 1100, Chicago, Illinois 60611-1676.

Arthur R. Bernstein '57 on January 12, 2001, of non-Hodgkins lymphoma. He was sixty-five and a resident of Manlius, New York.

At Kenyon, Art was a pre-medical student and a member of Sigma Pi. He completed his medical training in 1966 at the State University of New York Upstate Medical Center. Art then practiced urology in the Syracuse, New York, area for more than thirty years.

Art is survived by his wife, Anne "Nancy" Hewitt Bernstein; a daughter, Jennifer A. Bernstein; three sons, Michael A., Brian D., and Matthew D. Bernstein; a granddaughter; a brother, Jerry L. Bernstein; and a sister, Donna Resnick. Memorial contributions may be made to the Leukemia/Lymphoma Society of Central New York, 401 North Salina Street, Syracuse, New York 13203.

Glenn E. Burress 1957 on April 1, 2001, of a heart attack. He was sixty-five and a resident of Sacramento, California.

Glenn entered Kenyon intending to pursue a career in medicine. However, in his sophomore year, he came under the influence of the late Professor of Economics Paul Titus and discovered a new interest. At the end of his sophomore year, Glenn transferred to the University of Cincinnati to study with Professor Walter Egle, whose economic philosophy interested him and who was looking for an assistant. Glenn graduated from the University of Cincinnati with high honors and a Phi Beta Kappa key, and he went on to earn a master's degree there. After enrolling at Harvard University for his doctoral work, he was candidly advised by a professor that he would never succeed there given his particular economic theories. Glenn returned to the University of Cincinnati, completed his Ph.D. there in 1961, and set out to challenge the conventional wisdom of economic policy and to offer a remedy that would further social justice for all people. He worked for Business Week and the Journal of Commerce as well as the American Bankers Association. In 1979, Glenn's career was interrupted by a disabling accident. Throughout his long recovery, he continued to write about his economic theories and to push for their acceptance.

Glenn is survived by his wife, Dorothy Malcolm; a daughter, Jennifer Kuehnle; a son, Timothy Burress; two stepdaughters, Cristina Grile and Debra Dvornik; two stepsons, Donald and Timothy Malcolm; a granddaughter; five step-grandchildren; and two brothers, Gene and Philip Burress.

Jon C. Troike '61 on April 11, 2001. He was sixty-one and a resident of Sandusky, Ohio.

A philosophy major at Kenyon, Jon played baseball and joined Beta Theta Pi. After graduation, he enlisted in the U.S. Air Force and won a commission as a second lieutenant upon completion of Officer Training School at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. Jon made a career in the military, rising to the rank of major, before going on to work as a sales engineer for Sandusky Foundry and Machine Company.

Jon is survived by his wife, Ellen; two daughters, Julie and Roberta Troike; and a son, Ross Troike.

Steven L. Goldberg '63 on July 8, 2000. He was fifty-eight and resident of Bayonne, New Jersey.

A biology major at Kenyon, Steve was a member of the Archon Society. He went on to receive his medical degree from the College of Medicine at the State University of New York Health Science Center in Brooklyn. At the time of his death, Steve was the attending physician in pathology at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York City. Chief of surgical pathology at Staten Island University Hospital for fourteen years, he previously worked for the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and Overlook Hospital. Steve was president of Temple Emanuel Jewish Community Center of Bayonne and a member of its board of directors, treasurer of the New York Pathology Society, and an adjunct professor of pathology at Mount Sinai School of Medicine.

Steve is survived by his wife, Ellen Freeman Goldberg; a daughter, Morgan D. Goldberg; a son, Adam P. Goldberg; and a brother, Ivan Goldberg.

Nicholas Visser 1965 on June 13, 2001, of cancer. He was fifty-seven and a resident of Cape Town, South Africa.

"Kenyon alumni from the mid-1960s may remember Nick, an English major and member of Delta Tau Delta," Peter A. White '66 writes, "Nick was a member of the Class of 1965, but he left Kenyon after the 1963-64 academic year. He was a professor of English at the University of Cape Town. The university publication, Monday, reports that Nick emigrated from the United States in 1966, continued his education at Cape Town, and earned a Ph.D. at Rhodes University in 1972. He was active in many academic associations, including the Association of University English Teachers of Southern Africa, which he founded, and his literary criticism was widely published in South African scholarly journals. Nick is described in the Cape Town obituary as 'a scholar and teacher who lived life to the full,' which will not surprise those who knew him well, as I did, when we were students and friends at Kenyon."

Nick is survived by his wife, Pippa.

Rev. James L. Gillespie '68 on February 26, 2001, of cancer. He was fifty-four and a resident of Cleveland, Ohio.

A history major at Kenyon, Jim won election to Phi Beta Kappa, the Alan G. Goldsmith Prize in history, and a Woodrow Wilson Fellowship for graduate study. He went on to earn a master's degree and doctorate in medieval history from Princeton University. Jim also received a divinity degree from Cranmer (Orthodox Anglican) Seminary as well as a bachelor of science degree from Kent State University and a master's degree in education from Cleveland State University. At the time of his death, he was a professor at Notre Dame College and an adjunct faculty member at Ursuline College and John Carroll University. Jim had previously held teaching positions at Catawba College, the University of Minnesota, Appalachian State University, and Queens University in Belfast, Northern Ireland. He recently served as dean of the American University of the Middle East in Amman, Jordan, and as a senior research fellow at the American Center for Oriental Research there. Jim, who wrote two books and many scholarly articles on medieval history, was a past president of the Society of the White Hart, an association of medieval historians, and a fellow of the Royal Historical Society of Great Britain.

Jim is survived by several cousins. Memorial contributions may be made to the Society of the White Hart, c/o Prof. George Stow, Department of History, LaSalle University, 1900 West Olney Avenue, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19141-1199.

Phelps "Flip" Segur '71 on October 20, 2001, of heart failure. He was fifty-two and a resident of Haverford, Pennsylvania.

An English major at Kenyon, Flip was a member of the Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, the Air Force ROTC Drill Team and Color Guard, and Psi Upsilon, which he served as rushing chairman, corresponding secretary, and later as alumni secretary. He also worked on the staffs of the Collegian and Revielle and sang in the Concert Choir and Glee Club. After graduation, Flip served in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. He then went on to work as a computer programmer at Lee Tire and Rubber Company and later at Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.

Flip is survived by his mother, Marian H. Segur; a sister, Joan S. Fletcher; and a nephew and a niece. Memorial contributions may be made to the Psi Upsilon Foundation, In Memory of Phelps D. Segur, Iota '71, 3003 East 96th Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240-1357. Donations will fund a flagpole to fly a Kenyon flag at the international office of Psi Upsilon.

Rev. Jonathon F. Raff '72 on July 26, 2001, of complications from high blood pressure and diabetes. He was fifty and a resident of Bel Alten, Maryland.

At Kenyon, Jon was manager of the swimming team, president of Circle K, an upperclass counselor, and a member of Alpha Sigma Chi. He went on to earn a master of education degree from Xavier University and a divinity degree from Berkeley Divinity School at Yale University. Ordained to the priesthood in 1978, Jon first served parishes in Cincinnati, Ohio, before moving to Maryland. His last assignment was as rector of Christ Church-Wayside in Newburg, Maryland. Over the years, Jon was an officiant in the weddings of several Kenyon alumni, including that of classmate Thomas R. Moore '72.

Jon is survived by a brother, Mark Raff.

Lee A. Adler '75 on September 11, 2001, in the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.

Randy F. Dolf '78 on March 4, 2001, of a ruptured aortic aneurysm. He was forty-four and a resident of Los Angeles, California.

A history major at Kenyon, Randy played varsity lacrosse for three years and joined Alpha Delta Phi. He attended the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill for graduate studies in history before entering the insurance industry. At American International Group in New York City and Chicago, Illinois, Randy underwrote marine risks and then joined Cigna (now ACE) as an international and marine underwriter in Chicago. While at Cigna, he earned an M.B.A. in finance and statistics from the University of Chicago in 1990. After a sabbatical to pursue various interests, including art, culinary training, competitive sailboat racing, skiing, and travel, Randy joined Marsh and McLennan's marine department in Chicago in December 1995 and continued to race sailboats on Lake Michigan. In June 1998, Randy transferred to Marsh and McLennan's Los Angeles office as a marine and energy client advisor. He widened his recreational horizons to include ocean sailing and hiking in California coastal and mountain areas.

Randy is survived by a brother, Richard Dolf. Memorial contributions may be made to the Kenyon Athletic Association, c/o Martin Fuller, Sports Information Director, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Edward H. Levi H'75 on March 7, 2000. He was eighty-eight and a resident of Chicago, Illinois.

Levi was the former president of the University of Chicago and the Glen A. Lloyd Distinguished Service Professor Emeritus in the law school and the college at the university. He was U.S. Attorney General in the Ford administration. Levi served as dean of the University of Chicago Law School from 1950 to 1962, provost of the university from 1962 to 1968, and president from 1968 to 1975. He attracted world-renowned scholars to the faculty and nurtured such celebrated programs as the Committee on Social Thought. Levi was a University of Chicago trustee and a founding trustee of the MacArthur Foundation. He was also a trustee of the Aspen Institute for Humanistic Studies, the Institute of International Education, the Institute for Psychoanalysis, the International Legal Center, the Museum of Science and Industry, the Russell Sage Foundation, the Urban Institute, and the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. He was chairman and a member of the Council on Legal Education for Professional Responsibility.

The citation presented to Levi at Kenyon's Commencement in 1975 read, in part, "To have achieved only a small portion of your contribution to education generally and to have added stature to the great University of Chicago would in themselves represent a life richly fulfilled. But your achievement in these areas is incomparable. It is with a sense of deep humility that we at Kenyon acknowledge your accomplishments and welcome you to this society of scholars."

Levi is survived by his wife, Kate Sulzberger Hecht; three sons, John, David, and Michael Levi; and a brother, Harry J. Levi.

Otto Wittmann H'77 on July 14, 2001. He was ninety and a resident of Montecito, California.

Wittmann was the former director of the Toledo Museum of Art, a former trustee for the J. Paul Getty Trust, and a former trustee of the Santa Barbara Museum of Art. He studied art history at Harvard University and then served in World War II as a major in the U.S. Army Air Force and then in the Office of Strategic Services as a special intelligence officer concerned with the discovery and restitution of art looted by the Nazis. Wittmann, who was among the first museum professionals to encourage the establishment of federal programs for the arts and humanities, was a founding member of the National Endowment for the Arts. In August 1977, Wittmann presented the Kenyon libraries with a collection of art books and fine-art journals, and he remained a generous supporter of the College for many years thereafter.

The citation honoring Wittmann read, in part, "For your unerring taste, your achievements in acquisition, your scholarship, and your insistence that art shall claim a place of importance in our democratic culture, Kenyon College honors you today."

Wittmann is survived by two sons, John and William Wittmann, and five granddaughters. Memorial contributions may be made to the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, 1212 Mission Canyon Road, Santa Barbara, California 93105, or the Santa Barbara Museum of Art, 1600 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, California 93101.

Beverley C. Clifford, wife of former professor of psychology L. Thomas Clifford, on April 24, 2001, after a twenty-five year battle with multiple sclerosis. She was seventy-two and a resident of Columbus, Ohio.

A graduate of Syracuse University, Clifford earned her master's degree in social work at Ohio State University. She had a distinguished career in the social-work community of Columbus, working for the Franklin County Mental Health and Retardation Board and later as the executive director of the Epilepsy Association of Central Ohio. She won the Social Worker of the Year Award in 1992.

Clifford is survived by two daughters, Leah Whitman and Susan Whaley; a son, Andy Clifford; four grandchildren; her stepmother, Dorothy Cook; four sisters, Louise Sweitzer, Audrey Fellows, Sally Whalen, and Brenda Rounds; and numerous nieces and nephews.

Kermit I. Lansner, former assistant professor of philosophy, on May 20, 2000, of lung cancer. He was seventy-eight and a resident of New York City.

Born in New York City, Lansner graduated from Columbia College in 1942 and went on to study at the Sorbonne on a Fulbright scholarship. Following his time on the Kenyon faculty, he became an editor at Art News before joining Newsweek in 1954. As a Newsweek editor, Lansner brought a distinct voice to the magazine in the 1960s and early 1970s, when popular culture began to exert a serious influence on the American social landscape. When Osborn Elliott became editor of Newsweek in 1961, he selected two executive editors, Lansner and Gordon Manning, to edit the magazine with him. Lansner stepped down as editor of Newsweek in 1972, working as a contributing editor and columnist, and also acting as editor-in-chief of Newsweek Books, a now-defunct publishing imprint, until 1974. In the 1970s, he wrote a column for The New Republic, and in the 1980s he served as editor-in-chief of Financial World magazine, to which he contributed a column until 1996.

Lansner is survived by his wife, Fay Gross; two daughters, Gabrielle Lansner and Erica Lansner Villa Lobos; and two grandchildren.

Dorothy "Darcy" Michael, widow of the late James E. Michael, professor emeritus of drama, on April 9, 2001. She was a resident of Chevy Chase, Maryland.

Darcy Michael married Jim Michael in 1982, four years after the death of his first wife, Kittie Bowman Michael. Darcy Michael accompanied her husband to Gambier for the celebration of the James E. Michael Chair in Playwriting, which was established in 1995. Jim Michael died in 1997.

Darcy Michael is survived by a daughter, Elizabeth Bell Stengel; a son, William Bell; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson. She is also survived by her stepchildren, Mary Michael Muller, Margaret Michael Sweeney, and James E. Michael Jr., and their children. Memorial contributions may be made to the Audubon Naturalist Society, 8940 Jones Mill Road, Chevy Chase, Maryland 20815.


In the last issue, the Bulletin reported the death of Thomas B. Queen '79. Mr. Queen is not deceased.

Other deaths. We have been notified of the deaths of the following alumni for whom no further information was available. Readers who can supply details are encouraged to send the information to the attention of Linda Michaels, Office of Public Affairs, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio 43022-9623.

Stephen F. Maire 1929 on December 11, 1991. At Kenyon, Stephen was a member of Alpha Delta Phi.

Osborne Templeton '30 in 1976. Osborne is survived by a daughter, Ann MacMillan.

John H. Otwell '37 on October 31, 1989.

James W. Dever '47 on December 30, 1999. He was seventy-two and a resident of San Marcos, Texas.

Timothy T. Fenerty '79 on November 27, 1999. He was forty-three, and his last known residence was Willow Grove, Pennsylvania.

Back to Top