Marking HistoryAn Ohio Bicentennial Commission historical marker now honors Kenyon as the state's oldest private institution of higher learning. The marker, located on Route 308 across the street from the Kenyon Inn, was dedicated on Saturday, May 24, during Reunion Weekend.
It proclaims the College a "pioneer in education," touches on its founding, and mention famous alumni, including Rutherford B. Hayes and Robert Lowell.
Two more College-related markers will be dedicated this fall. One will recognize the contributions of the Kenyon Review to Ohio's literary history and another will honor Lorin Andrews, the College's sixth president, who in 1861 became the first man from Ohio to heed President Abraham Lincoln's call for Union Army volunteers.
Proposals for the three historical markers, which included extensive research, were prepared by Special Assistant to President Howard L. Sacks and Associate Vice President for Communications Thomas P. Stamp.
To read the complete text that will appear on all three markers, visit the historical marker Web page.
Do you have feedback on this page?