Harold H. Dutton 1929 , on January 11, 2006. He was ninety-nine and a resident of Calverton, Virginia.
Harold attended Kenyon and earned a B.S. from West Virginia University. He also briefly attended medical school at West Virginia University. As a young man just out of school, Harold bought an airplane, earned his private pilot's license, and enjoyed flying in the Ohio River Valley. From 1944 to 1953, he was a member of the Elks Club of Parkersburg, West Virginia. He was also an avid golfer and played until he was ninety. He resided in Arlington, Virginia, and later in Maryland. After forty-five years of service, Harold retired from the weather bureau in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area. For several years, he also worked for a weather bureau in the Miami Beach area.
Harold is survived by his second wife, Dorothy Brethouwer Dutton, of Bethesda, Maryland; and a son, Douglas Dutton, of Calverton; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Dorothy M. Dutton; and a son, Harold H. Dutton, Jr. Memorial contributions may be made to the Fauquier Chapter of the American Red Cross, 53 South Third Street, Warrenton, Virginia 20186, or to the Salvation Army, P.O. Box 9474, Warrenton, Virginia, 20188.
Harold W. Coffin 1930 , on September 19, 1998. He was ninety and a resident of Spokane, Washington.
Harold was a member of the basketball team and Delta Kappa Epsilon while he was a student at Kenyon. He received his B.A. and his L.L.B. from the University of Idaho in 1930 and 1933, respectively. From 1938 to 1940, he served as attorney and secretary of the Vermont Loan & Trust Company; in 1940, he became a partner of Paine, Hamblen, Coffin, Brooke, and Miller, in Spokane, Washington. He served as trustee of the Comstock Foundation and of the Eastern Washington State Historical Society; as president of the board of directors of the Eastern Washington Museum Foundation in Spokane; and as chancellor of the Episcopalian Diocese of Spokane. He was a fellow of the American Bar Association; a member of the American College Probate Counsel; a member of the Washington State Bar Association, serving as president in 1950-51 and on the board of governors in1947-49; and as president of the Spokane County Bar Association in 1945.
Harold is survived by his daughters, Sara Coffin Fernandez and Melissa Coffin Willis. He was preceded in death by his wife, Virginia Maguire Coffin.
Harold F. Johnston Jr. '34 , on January 9, 2006. He was ninety-four and a resident of Lake Mary, Florida.
Hal, who majored in philosophy, was a member of Alpha Delta Phi and played on the baseball and football teams while he was at Kenyon. He served as a Navy lieutenant assigned to a mine sweeper during World War II, and remained a member of American Legion Post 230 for more than sixty years. Hal's twenty-five-year postwar career with Oneida Silversmiths encompassed sales and marketing positions. He married Laura Biggar in 1935; they were wed for sixty-one years before she passed away.
Hal is survived by a daughter, Susan Chapman; two grandsons, Charles Chapman III and his wife, Karen, and Peter Chapman and his wife, Wanda; and great-grandchildren Kelsey, Sarah, Connor, and Samantha.
John William Lehrer '37 , on February 9, 2006. He was eighty-nine and a resident of Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
John was a member of the football team and Beta Theta Pi at Kenyon. He served as a lieutenant in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He graduated from the Ohio State University Law School in 1940, and was a founding partner in the firm of Smith and Lehrer, practicing law from 1940 to 2005. He served as Sandusky city attorney for thirty years and was a former member of the Sandusky City Commission.
John was a member of Grace Episcopal Church, a charter member of the Sandusky Exchange Club, and a member of the Ohio State and Erie County bar associations. He was a thirty-second-degree Mason and a member of Singara Grotto of Sandusky, as well as a longtime member of Plum Brook Country Club.
He is survived by his wife, Mary Janis Lehrer; four sons and two daughters-in-law, John Lehrer, Tom and Eileen Lehrer, Robert and Lynne Lehrer, and James Lehrer; two brothers, David Lehrer '40 and Robert Lehrer; four grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents and his brother, Henry Lehrer. Memorial contributions may be made to the Sandusky Exchange Club Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 2256, Sandusky, Ohio 44870, or the charity of one's choice.
Merrill Wiley Manz Jr. '37 , on November 12, 2005, after an extended illness. He was ninety-one and a resident of Leesburg, Florida.
Merrill was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity at Kenyon. He entered the Army in March 1941 and served in the medical branch during World War II, in the Panama Canal and European theaters of operations. He was discharged in October 1945. Merrill was a time-study engineer for the Ohio Brass Company in Mansfield, Ohio, a member of Silver Springs Shores Presbyterian Church, a life member of Silver Springs Shores Kiwanis Club, and a life member of the Sertoma Club of Mansfield. He was a Boy Scout leader and worked with the Boy Scouts for many years.
Merrill is survived by his wife, Margaret Black Manz, whom he married the Sunday after the attack on Pearl Harbor; son and daughter-in-law, William and Ana Manz; daughter and son-in-law, Lu and Karl Kinstle; sister, Jane Soulen; four grandchildren, Christopher Manz, Karla Hilliard, Karin McLaughlin, and Heather Kinstle; and eight great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a grandson, Matthew.
John James Evans '38 , on January 30, 2006. He was eighty-eight and a resident of Newark, Ohio.
John majored in mathematics and physics at Kenyon, and was a member of the Middle Kenyon Association. He went on to earn a B.S. in education, an M.A. in mathematics, and a Ph.D. in education from the Ohio State University. He was elected to the mathematics honorary Pi Mu Epsilon, physics honorary Sigma Pi Sigma, and the graduate honorary society Phi Delta Kappa at the Ohio State University. He was a captain in the Army Air Force Meteorology Service during World War II.
In 1956, John moved to Athens, Ohio, and organized the student teaching office at Ohio University. He was a member and former president of the Ohio Association for Higher Education and served for several years on the Ohio Commission on Teacher Education and Professional Standards. He also represented Ohio University in the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. John was a life member of the Ohio State University Alumni Association, an honorary alumnus of Ohio University, and a member of the Trustees Academy at Ohio University.
After thirty-five years in Athens, John and his wife, the former Caroline Marguerite Truman, moved to Newark, Ohio, where they were active members of Trinity Episcopal Church, the Licking County Genealogical Society, and the Licking County Historical Society. Author of The History of the Bell-Hayes Families , John was also a member of the First Families of Licking County, the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, and Sons of the American Revolution.
He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, John and Marcia Evans; and a grandson, Jonathon Thane Evans. He was preceded in death by his wife, Marguerite, whom he married in 1947. Memorial contributions may be made to the John and Marguerite Evans Endowment Fund, Ohio University, P.O. Box 869, Athens, Ohio 45701.
Raymond Andrew "Ray" Ioanes '40 H'87 , on December 24, 2005, of pneumonia. He also had vascular dementia. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Falls Church, Virginia.
Ray majored in economics at Kenyon, where he participated in executive committee, senior honorary society Alpha Pi Kappa, and Hika (concurrently with his classmate Robert Lowell). He played football and baseball all four years, serving as team captain as well as being an outstanding pitcher. A member of Phi Kappa Sigma, and its president his senior year, he was also inducted into Phi Beta Kappa in his senior year. Ray received the E. Malcolm Anderson Cup, as "the undergraduate who had done the most for Kenyon" in 1940.
In 1937, Ray was an outfielder on the baseball team that won the Cleveland city championship and was offered a professional contract with the Philadelphia Phillies' farm team; he turned it down to attend Kenyon. In 1939, the Cincinnati Reds tried to recruit him to pitch batting practice, but he couldn't get the bus fare to Cincinnati.
As an international trade specialist, Ray had a government career that spanned more than thirty years, beginning in 1940 as an intern with the United States Department of Agriculture. There, he organized new nutritional programs, including one that established, for the first time, a requirement that milk be pasteurized for use in the federal school-milk program to eliminate the risk of undulant fever, the human form of brucellosis.
After World War II, Ray worked for the Department of the Army as a civilian and was stationed in Berlin, West Germany, as a relief officer with the U.S. Foreign Economic Administration. Through the American food rationing program, Ray was able to feed German civilians by traveling to Poland to obtain potato seed, and to England to scrounge grain, fish, fertilizer, and insecticides. In 1948, he was promoted to head of the food and agriculture division of the military government and was instrumental in organizing the Berlin airlift after the Soviets blockaded West Berlin.
Ray returned to Washington, D.C., in 1949 to work in the Department of Agriculture. He was assigned as an administrative officer to the Foreign Agricultural Service in 1953 and appointed its deputy administrator in 1958. Ray was instrumental in implementing Public Law 480, popularly known as the Food for Peace program, which provided American food aid to third-world countries and fulfilled U.S. objectives, such as agricultural market development, foreign policy, and the economic development of foreign countries. He also negotiated the agreement under which Spain obtained wheat from the United States in return for permission to build U.S. air bases in that country.
Ray was appointed administrator of the Foreign Agricultural Service by President Kennedy in 1962, a position that he held until he retired in 1973. He was the first to achieve that position as a career civil servant and was its second-longest-serving head. During his tenure, he professionalized the agricultural attachés, resulting in the most highly educated corps of line officers employed by the United States working around the world. In addition, Ray relentlessly tried to get the Common Market to reduce its agricultural subsidies.
From his earliest days in government service, Ray traveled throughout the world to promote international trade. He received the prestigious 1969 Career Service Award from the National Civil Service League in recognition of his professional accomplishments, and the Distinguished Service Award, among other honors, for his untiring efforts in the development and expansion of foreign markets for U.S. agriculture, as well as for his leadership stand to eliminate racial discrimination in the Foreign Agricultural Service.
After retirement, Ray worked as a commodities consultant for E.F. Hutton for ten years. He also served on the board of directors of World Perspectives, and continued to advise the government on foreign agriculture issues through President Clinton's first term.
A man with a great sense of humor, Ray enjoyed playing golf, taking walks, listening to music, dining with friends, and following the Washington Redskins and the Cleveland Indians. He was a longtime supporter of his alma mater, working to create the Paul and Catherine Titus Scholarship during the Claiming Our Place campaign, among many other contributions.
He is survived by his wife of sixty-four years, Irma Elizabeth "Betty" Ioanes; two daughters, Barbara Ioanes and Joyce Ioanes; a grandson, Scott Andrews; and a brother, Edward Ioanes. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Heart Association.
Paul L. Amon '41 , on December 16, 2005. He was eighty-six and a resident of Erie, Pennsylvania.
Paul was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma and an economics major at Kenyon. He served in the Army in World War II. Paul worked in production and human resources for Lovell Manufacturing and Fenestra, retiring in 1983 after thirty-two years. He was a lifelong member of St. John's Lutheran Church, where he served on the church council and on the audit and finance committees, where he was a collection counter for many years. He was a life member of the Siebenbuerger and Zukor Clubs, a member of Perry-Keystone Lodge #392 F&AM, Erie Consistory and Zem Zem Temple, and was a Senior DeMolay member of DeMolay Chevalier Court.
Paul is survived by his wife of 62 years, Thelma Seigler Amon; daughters and sons-in-law, Joyce Moon, Karen and Aaron Haffley, and Pamela and Keith Fisher; brother and sister-in-law, Ferdinand and Reta Amon; grandchildren Christopher, Matthew, and Jeffrey Moon, David, Mark, and Megan Haffley, and Michael, Julie, and Sarah Fisher; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by an infant sister. Memorial contributions may be made to Scottish Rite Scholarship Fund, 4701 Old Zuck Road, Erie, Pennsylvania, 16506, or to St. John's Lutheran Church Preschool, 2216 Peach Street, Erie, Pennsylvania 16502.
Robert Deming Hayes 1943 , on November 12, 2005. He was eighty and a resident of Marietta, Georgia.
Bob completed the premeteorology program at Kenyon and put his studies into action in the Army Air Corps during World War II, studying weather patterns and helping to develop early radar technology. Always ready to learn, he took advantage of education and training opportunities, completing further studies in radio and electronics. After military service, he enrolled at the University of Kentucky on the G.I. Bill. By the time he completed his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering in 1948 and master's degree in physics in 1950, he was elected president of the student chapter of the American Institute of Electrical Engineers, representative to the Engineering Student Council, and vice president of Phi Kappa Tau fraternity. He was the first president of the student chapter of Eta Kappa Nu, the international honor society for electrical engineers. In 1948, he was named the outstanding engineering student at UK by the alumni association.
After earning his master's degree, Bob was employed as a field engineer for Western Electric Company, working with military electronic equipment. In 1954, he began a long association with the Georgia Institute of Technology. He joined Georgia Tech as a research engineer and also taught electrical engineering. He was a student as well, earning a master of science degree in electrical engineering in 1957 and a Ph.D. in 1964. Bob left Georgia Tech in 1966 to join the Harris Company in Florida as head of the advance engineering group for the RF (radio frequency) department, but returned two years later as a professor of electrical engineering and principal research engineer.
He retired in 1980 and formed his own consulting company, RDH, Inc., specializing in research and development. His distinguished record helped him develop business relationships with many organizations, from institutions of higher education to leading corporations and the U.S. military. He also served as a member of the continuing engineering education staff at George Washington University for more than ten years.
Bob is listed in Who's Who in American Education , American Men in Science , and the Marquis Who's Who in the World, in the South, in Science and Engineering, and in Finance and Industry. Renowned in the field of radar, Bob served as session chair and on many steering committees for conferences and workshops. He published more than 60 technical articles and reports, coauthored a textbook, and authored chapters in several others. Dr. Hayes was a life senior member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
The Atlanta area and his adopted state of Georgia benefited from his desire to serve others. He served as governor of Georgia Kiwanis International, chair of the Cobb County Planning and Zoning Commission, and in many other leadership roles. He was an active member of the First United Methodist Church of Marietta and was a member of the Jack Aaron Sunday School Class.
He is survived by his wife of twenty-eight years, Jean Copeland Hayes; four children, Bill Hayes, Kathy Rottersman, Carol Hayes, and Jennifer Whitehead; three stepsons, Steve Williams, Glenn Williams, and David Williams; two sisters, Jane Barrett and Carolyn Reed; and grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his parents, Roy and Esther Hayes; his first wife, Nancy Ellen Taylor; and his sister, Esther Munro. Memorial donations may be made to MUST Ministries, 55 Elizabeth Church Road, P.O. Box 1717, Marietta, Georgia 30060, or the Memorial Fund of First United Methodist Church, 56 Whitlock Avenue, Marietta, Georgia 30064.
Richard Warren Penn '43 P'80 , on January 22, 2006. He was eighty-four and a resident of Circleville, Ohio.
Dick majored in physics at Kenyon. For two summers, he assisted Kenyon Professor Wilson M. Powell with cosmic-ray research on Mount Evans, near Denver, Colorado. He was also active in the Psi Upsilon fraternity, track, and swimming, and was proud to remind subsequent Kenyon generations that "'winning swimming' began with Chuck Immel and Rudy Kutler."
Dick took leave from Kenyon in 1942, one semester short of graduation, upon Powell's invitation to join isotope-separation work for the Manhattan Project. Dick initially joined Powell at the University of California's radiation laboratory, and later went to Oak Ridge, Tennessee. In Oak Ridge, he met Mary Mallory, whom he married in 1947. He returned to Kenyon to complete his final semester in 1947, then entered the Ohio State University Law School.
Upon admission to the bar in 1950, he entered private practice in Circleville, where he was active in city government, serving as councilman, president of council, and mayor. He also served as city solicitor for the communities of Stoutsville, Laurelville, and Williamsport. He was a founding board member and raised funds for the building of the Pickaway County YMCA. He was also a founding board member of the Pickaway Manor Nursing Home. He was a member of Trinity Lutheran Church, Kiwanis Club, and the Elks Singers. Dick was active in his children's and his grandchildren's activities, and was the swim team coach for children eight years old and younger during the 1970s.
Dick returned to the Hill frequently, serving in various alumni positions for the Iota chapter of Psi Upsilon, including as president of the Iota Association. He greatly enjoyed singing down Middle Path with classmates and fraternity brothers during reunions and other gatherings.
He is survived by his wife, Mary; children and daughter-in-law, Marilyn Allen, Katherine Warner, and Stephen Penn '80 and Kathleen Cirillo-Penn; grandchildren and their spouses, Christopher and Amanda Allen, Kaitlyn Warner, and Nolan and Celeste Cirillo-Penn. He was preceded in death by his brother, John Penn. Memorial donations may be made in Dick's name to Scholarship Opportunities/Lodge Renovation at the Iota Chapter (http://iotaassociation.org), or the Psi Upsilon fraternity's Commitment to Excellence Program, 3003 East Ninety-Sixth Street, Indianapolis, Indiana 46240-1357, or to Kenyon College.
Richard G. Storm '43 , on December 10, 2005. He was eighty-four and a resident of Peabody, Massachusetts.
Richard, who majored in chemistry at Kenyon, was a member of the track team, as well as a charter member of the Phi chapter of Delta Phi. He also earned a B.S. in engineering in 1947 and an M.S. in metallurgy in 1952 at the Carnegie Institute of Technology. A resident of Yardley, Pennsylvania, for more than forty years, he also lived in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, for ten years. He had lived in Peabody since 2003.
For thirty-five years, Richard was a metallurgical engineer with U.S. Steel Corporation. He was a former deacon, trustee, and elder at First Presbyterian Church in Morrisville, Pennsylvania. He was a member of Syria Temple in Trenton, New Jersey, and Blue Lodge 776 in Fairless Hills, Pennsylvania. A lover of the outdoors, he particularly enjoyed fishing, golf, woodworking, and gardening.
In addition to his wife, Ada Virginia Storm, he is survived by a son, Paul J. Storm II; a daughter, Candace Martinez; a daughter-in-law, Judith Miedema; and a granddaughter, Maia Nicole Storm. He was preceded in death by a son, Richard G. Storm Jr. Memorial donations may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, 311 Arsenal Street, Watertown, Massachusetts 02472.
Santo J. Artino '49 , on November 2, 2005. He was seventy-eight and a resident of Upland, California.
Sandy majored in modern languages and literatures, played on the tennis team, and was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma at Kenyon. After graduating, he worked for National Cash Register for twenty-one years, then for Smith Corona Merchant, before opening his own business, Total Business Systems, in San Francisco. After moving to Upland, he worked for Automatic Data Processing, Security Pacific Bank, and Bank of America before retiring in 1993. Sandy loved jazz, tennis, computers, the Lakers, and his wonderful family.
He is survived by his wife of twenty-seven years, Margaret Rose; their son, daughter-in-law, and grandchildren, Antonio Eduardo, Ruby, Isabella Cheyenne, and Dominic Angelo Artino; sons by his former wife, Nancy Graybill, and their families, Joseph David and Donna Artino, Marc Thomas and Teresa Artino, and David James Artino; his sisters, Carmelia Leanza and Jeanetta Hallaman; 13 grandchildren; sixteen nieces; and sixteen nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents, Giuseppe and Maria Artino; brothers Tony, Sam, and Joe Artino; sisters Tanny Calabrese, Frances Sciaulino, and Marie Ingrassia; and daughter, Carina Gioietta Artino. Memorial donations may be made to the Kenyon Fund, Scholarship and Financial Aid, in memory of Santo Joseph Artino '49, Attn.: College Relations, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio 43022.
David Fink '49 , on November 22, 2005. He was eighty-two and a resident of Irwin, Pennsylvania.
Dave majored in political science and was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon. In addition to Flying Club, choir, and dramatics, he also played soccer at Kenyon. During World War II, he served as an officer in the United States Navy Air Corps, and was awarded the Air Medal and the Distinguished Flying Cross. After earning his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania in1953, Dave served as deputy attorney general for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania from 1954 to 1958. From 1958 until he retired in 1982, he practiced law in Westmoreland County.
He is survived by his wife, Margaret; son and daughter-in-law, Michael and Linda Fink; daughter Gretchen Karcher; and four grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his brother, Jerry Fink '50 . Memorial donations may be made to St. Vincent College, 300 Fraser Purchase Road, Latrobe, Pennsylvania 15650-2690.
Richard A. Michelson '51, on April 16, 2004. He was seventy-seven and a resident of Akron, Ohio.
Dick served in the Navy from June 1944 to July 1946, and was stationed in Riverside, California. He attended Oberlin, the University of Akron, Miami University, and Kenyon, and was a generous benefactor to the College. Dick retired as the chairman and chief executive officer of McNeil Corporation and was a founding member of the Sharon Golf Club. He was deeply involved with his community, both in Akron and in Naples, Florida, and volunteered many hours of his time to numerous charitable causes. He maintained a lifelong passion for his friends, golf, flying, and the outdoors.
Dick is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, Richard Michelson Jr. and Pam Michelson; daughter and son-in-law, Susan and John Zarske; grandchildren and their spouses, Dawn Michelson, Stacy and Bob Bechtel, Aaron and Lauren Zarske; great-grandson, Robby Bechtel; Harry Michelson and family; Fred Michelson and family; and nieces, nephews, cousins, and friends. He was preceded in death by his wife of 41 years, Joan Gleason Michelson, and a son, Jack Michelson. Donations may be made to the Joan H. Michelson Woman's Resource Center, Summa Health System, P.O. Box 2090, Akron, Ohio 44309-2090; the American Parkinson's Disease Association Foundation, 1250 Hylan Boulevard, Suite 4B, Staten Island, New York, 10305-1946; the Northern Ohio Golf Association Charities, 10210 Brecksville Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44141; or the Crawford Auto and Airplane Museum WHRS, 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106.
Ashley D. Burt Jr. '55 , on November 25, 2005. He was seventy-three and a resident of Hudson, New Hampshire.
Ash majored in history at Kenyon and was a member of the swimming and lacrosse teams, as well as Delta Phi fraternity. He worked as an employer-benefits and compensation specialist for various companies, including TrustStar in Boston and the former Nashua Trust.
He is survived by his sons, Antony Burt, Ashley Burt III, Jonathan Smith, and Joshua Burt; sisters, Phyllis Morton and Patricia Teschner; grandchildren, Alexander, Lara, and Christina Burt, Kelsey Burt, and Evan and Paige Smith; and several nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his wife, Helen Barrett Burt.
Edmund F. "Ted" FitzSimons '57, on February 23, 2006, of complications of diabetes. He was seventy-one years old and a resident of Fort Myers Beach, Florida.
Ted, who majored in English at Kenyon and was honored as an All-American swimmer and Ohio Athletic Conference record-holder, served as co-captain of the Kenyon swim team, and in 1997 was inducted into the Kenyon Athletic Association Hall of Fame. Upon graduating from Kenyon, he was commissioned an officer in the U.S. Air Force and attended pilot training. On September 10, 1960, he married his childhood sweetheart, Judith Fletcher, in Bristol, Connecticut. Ted was employed in the field of data processing and auditing in Connecticut and Massachusetts. In 1969, he relocated to Tampa, Florida, with GTE. After living twenty years in Tampa, he and Judy moved to Fort Myers Beach, where her family had owned property since 1937.
Ted was a member of the Estero Island Community Redevelopment Agency Local Planning Committee, co-organizer of the Fort Myers Beach Land Use Plan Committee, founder and director of the Fort Myers Beach Civic Association, and chief architect of the incorporation of Fort Myers Beach. In 1995, he served as vice mayor and was involved in the Responsible Growth Management Coalition of Lee County as director and vice-president. He was also appointed to numerous county-level committees. Ted was an elder and trustee of the Chapel by the Sea Presbyterian Church.
Tim Leach '55 wrote, "Ted had battled diabetes for over forty years. He was one of the three swimmers, along with Stan Krok and Skip Kurrus, from Williston Academy who ushered in the years of great Kenyon swimming teams in the mid-1950s. Their oldest son, Scott, and our Bill were pals. He has two other children, daughter Kathy and youngest son Jeff, who is a warrant officer in the Navy and currently serving aboard the nuclear carrier Eisenhower. We stayed in touch over the years after they moved to Fort Myers Beach. Ted was the bravest, most courageous person I've ever met."
Ted is survived by his wife, Judy; sons, Scott FitzSimons and Jeffrey FitzSimons; daughter, Kathleen Hamlin; five grandchildren, Megan, Erin, and Kathleen Hamlin, and Justin and Zachary FitzSimons; sisters, Louise FitzSimons and Jean Lukens; and his loyal service dog, Calusa. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the Chapel by the Sea, 100 Chapel Street, Fort Myers Beach, Florida 33931, or the American Diabetes Association, P.O. Box 1131, Fairfax, Virginia 22038-1131.
William Wright Wissman '65 , in 1998. He was a resident of Taos and Santa Fe, New Mexico.
As a member of the 1961-62 swimming and diving team, Bill was inducted posthumously into the Kenyon Athletic Association Hall of Fame in May 2002.
"Bill Wissman was a member of Alpha Delta Phi and a good breaststroker on our 1961-62 swim team," recalled former Dean of Students Tom Edwards. "To the best of my recollection, he retired from swimming during the 1962-63 year. He stopped competitive swimming early mainly to concentrate on his artistic endeavors, for which he also had talent. Bill was seeking a less regimented life during the remainder of his Kenyon years. He moved to New Mexico not long after graduation, probably Taos, where he worked along with fellow artists. I remember Bill as a fine, likeable and talented young man whose early death came much, much too soon."
John Denham Sutcliffe '68 P'04 , on March 22, 2006, of cancer. He was fifty-nine and a resident of Baton Rouge, Louisiana. He was buried at Oak Grove Cemetery in Gambier on April 21, 2006.
John, the son of English professor Denham Sutcliffe, grew up on the Kenyon campus. He became a college English teacher himself after graduating from Kenyon with a B.A. in English and the University of Michigan with all the requisites for a Ph.D. minus a completed dissertation. He taught at Fairleigh Dickinson University in New Jersey for three years before taking a position at Louisiana State University, where he would spend the next twenty-six-plus years. He also served as a career counselor for the Kenyon Career Network.
"John; my twin brother, Jim; and I grew up together in Gambier," recalled Janet Harvey Graddick of Gambier. "It was an ideal childhood for all of us. It was Denham Sutcliffe who advised my dad, Edward Harvey, to apply for a teaching position at Kenyon. It is truly sad to have lost John so soon."
He was a devoted teacher, husband, and father. He married Jenny Prushing of Mount Vernon, Ohio, on August 18, 1973, and had been wedded to her for thirty-three years. He is survived by his wife, Jenny; and his two children, Mary Sutcliffe '04 and Charles Sutcliffe. He is also survived by a sister, Sarah Sutcliffe; three nieces, Sandy Boone Prushing, Kim Prushing, and Maria Hetman; and a nephew, Matthew Hetman. He was preceded in death by both of his parents, Denham Sutcliffe and Priscilla Heath Sutcliffe.
Daniel Steven Horowitz '69 , on November 25, 2005. He was fifty-nine and a resident of Brentwood, Tennessee.
Daniel majored in political science and was co-editor of Reveille and a member of Peeps and Sigma Pi fraternity at Kenyon. After he earned his law degree from Vanderbilt University, he worked for many years as an investment banker in New York City. He moved to Nashville in 2001 and was employed by the U.S. Bank in Brentwood, Tennessee.
Daniel is survived by his father, Irving Horowitz; brother, William Horowitz; companion, Catherine Webster; and nieces, Jessica Figella and Allison Horowitz. He was preceded in death by his mother, Marcelle Horowitz. Memorial contributions may be made to the Marcelle and Irving Horowitz Anniversary Fund at the Springfield Jewish Federation, 1160 Dickinson Street, Springfield, Massachusetts 01108, or to Sinai Temple, 1160 Dickinson Street, Springfield, Massachusetts 01108.
Martin Lynn Hunt '72 , in June 2005, of pancreatic cancer. He was fifty-five and a resident of Cleveland, Ohio.
Marty majored in political science at Kenyon, was a member of Beta Theta Pi, and played basketball with John Rinka '70 . A basketball standout at Kenyon, he played all four years, was co-captain his senior year, and received honorable mention on the 1972 Converse All-America Team. Marty was drafted by the Boston Celtics when he graduated. He was employed by the City of Brook Park and was a well-known sports official and member of a number of sports officiating organizations.
Marty is survived by his wife, Sally Reiss Hunt; sons Martin Hunt and Matthew Hunt; daughters and sons-in-law, Shannon and Charles Ferrette and Melissa and James Bramante; grandchildren, Anthony and Dominic Bramante and Jillian Ferrette; siblings and in-laws James and Gerri Hunt, and Carly and A.V. Hunt; and niece Joy.
Stephen Charles Schuyler '78 , on November 11, 2005. He was forty-nine and a resident of Kittery Point, Maine.
Stephen participated in the Integrated Program in Humane Studies, majored in English, and was a member of Alpha Lambda Omega at Kenyon. He played soccer and served as president of the Kenyon Debate Union his junior and senior years. Stephen earned his law degree from Vanderbilt University in 1981. He passed both the Maine and Florida law boards in 1981 and began his legal career in Fort Myers, Florida. He ran the securities division for the State of Maine in the 1980s and worked for the United Stated Security and Exchange Commission, Boston Office, and the National Associations of Security Dealers. From the 1990s, he worked with prominent mutual funds, banks, and initial public offerings for many clients. Stephen was an avid runner and completed two marathons, the Maine Coast Marathon in 1982 and the Boston Marathon in 1989. He was also a competitive soccer player and faithful fan, and loved watching his daughters play soccer.
He is survived by his wife, Priscilla Luce Schuyler; daughters Olivia and Emily; sister and brother-in-law, Karen Schuyler Sabean and Joel Sabean; brother, Walter Schuyler; in-laws, Richard and Gloria Luce; brothers-in-law, Richard Jr., Robert, and William Luce; and nieces and nephews Joel and Shannon Sabean; Walter, Benjamin, and Victoria Schuyler; and Sage, Ryan, and Corey Luce. He was preceded in death by his father, Walter Schuyler 1942 P'78 , and mother. Donations may be made to St. Jude's Children's Hospital, 501 St. Jude Race, Memphis, Tennessee 38105.
Melissa Morse Hilton Tripathy '81 , on October 2, 2005, of a pulmonary embolism. She was forty-six and a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Melissa met her husband, Mark Ranjit Tripathy '79 , at Kenyon. After leaving Kenyon in 1979, Melissa worked at the "new" Village Inn until 1981, then moved to Cincinnati. She attended Xavier University and worked for a veterinarian for several years, before working for several upscale retail stores in Hyde Park. She was a devoted stay-at-home mom and traveled extensively throughout the eastern United States on vacations. She enjoyed the arts, poetry, music, literature, the symphony, the opera, the zoo, museums, plays, and other cultural events. She cared for many cats and other animals during her lifetime.
Melissa is survived by her husband of 22 years, Mark; children, Nathan Kamal, Mathilde Morse, and David Landers Tripathy; mother, Mathilde Biddle Hilton; brother, David Hilton; and five nephews and three nieces. She was preceded in death by her father, Robert Hilton Jr., and sister, Elizabeth Gast. Memorials may be made to the Seven Hills School, 5400 Red Bank Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227-1198, or to the Children's Home of Cincinnati, 5050 Madison Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45227.
Emylee Renata Bittermann '07 , on April 11, 2006, of cancer. She was twenty years old and a resident of Chicago, Illinois.
Emylee completed her first year at Kenyon, but was diagnosed with cancer and began treatment in the summer of 2004.
"In our hearts from the day she was diagnosed, our hope and her hope was that she would return to Kenyon to complete her education. Unfortunately, that will not happen," her mother, Rhona Bittermann, wrote to Acting Dean of Students Cheryl Steele. "Emylee loved Kenyon, as we did. She made many friends there and had much respect for the professors who educated her."
Emylee leaves her parents, Steve and Rhona; brother, Charles; grandmother, Ga Neomah Lev Chroman; aunts and uncles, Gary (Paula) Lev, Donald (Martha) Bittermann, and Martha Bittermann; and many cousins and friends. Memorial contributions may be made to Anshe Emet Synagogue, 3751 North Broadway, Chicago, Illinois 60613; Raising Spirits Foundation, 5115 Belmont, Suite B, Downers Grove, Illinois 60515; or KidPower, 901 West Jackson, Chicago, Illinois, 60607.
Deceased alumni for whom we have no additional information:
Richard Stambaugh '34 , on January 17, 1998.
Stephen J. LeRoy '50 , in the fall of 2002. He was eighty-six and a resident of Woodbridge, Connecticut.
William Simonds '51 , on February 4, 2006.
Arthur M. Jackson '69 , on April 6, 2006.
Clinton Roenisch '83 , on February 12, 2006.
Ralph J. Braibanti , on November 24, 2005. He was eighty-five and a resident of Durham, North Carolina.
Braibanti, who taught political science at Kenyon, began his career in teaching and research in 1947 at Syracuse University. Two years later, he accepted an appointment at Kenyon, where he remained until moving to Duke University in 1953. His teaching and extensive research in Islamic-Western relations flourished at Duke, beginning with his widely praised Pakistan studies in 1957. He received the university's highest and most respected academic honor, a James B. Duke professorship, in 1968.
He was renowned among undergraduates for his classroom teaching. He received both the Outstanding Professor Award, bestowed by undergraduates themselves, and the Duke Alumni Association's Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award. He also directed 39 doctoral dissertations. Braibanti wrote or contributed to nineteen books and was the founding president of the American Institute of Pakistan Studies, which he led for nine years. He devoted thirty years to teaching, researching, consulting, and founding institutions to further understanding of Islam. In 1977, he established the Islamic and Arabian Development Studies Center at Duke with support from the Saudi Arabian government and twenty American and multinational corporations. He directed the center until his retirement in 1990.
Braibanti is survived by his wife of sixty-two years, Lucy Kauffman Braibanti; son, Ralph Lynn Braibanti; daughter, Claire Harold; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Germaine Chipault P'04 , on January 23, 2006, of lung cancer. She is survived by her husband, Frederick C. Neidhardt '52 H'76 P'04 ; son Marc Chipault '04 ; and stepchildren Richard Niedhardt and Jane Neidhardt.
Rt. Rev. James Russell Moodey H'85 , on September 5, 2005, of metastatic kidney cancer. He was seventy-two and a resident of Damariscotta, Maine.
Bishop Moodey, a former bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio and Kenyon trustee, was a 1954 graduate of Hamilton College in Clinton, New York, and in 1957 he graduated from the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. While in seminary, he served one summer in Haiti. The profound impact of this experience contributed to a lifelong devotion to the causes of social and racial equality. He was ordained to the deaconate of the Episcopal Church in 1957 and to the priesthood in 1958. He received two honorary doctoral degrees, from Kenyon, where he served as trustee from 1984-1994, and from Hamilton.
In 1993, he retired as the ninth bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, a position in which he served for ten years. Prior to his consecration as a bishop, he served for twenty-six years in parish ministry. Among his achievements during his ten years as a bishop was the formation of the Episcopal Community Services Foundation, providing funds for community ministry.
Bishop Moodey had many passions in life, time with his family being foremost, particularly at their camp in Maine. He read voraciously and was a compendium of historical information. He loved words, choosing his carefully and wasting few. He was a natural and gifted athlete, participating enthusiastically in ice hockey, baseball, basketball, tennis, and golf. He shared these talents generously, coaching Little League baseball and Boys Club basketball when his children were young. He was a lifelong and enthusiastic baseball fan, and never stopped pulling for the Cleveland Indians.
For the last fourteen years, Bishop Moodey lived deeply and richly with cancer in his life. The disease robbed him of little, repaying him with the knowledge that life is not endless, and that opportunities for time with family and friends, trips to unknown places, and glorious Maine days were to be seized and celebrated. He was committed to living with, rather than struggling against, cancer.
He is survived by his wife of forty-sex years, Penelope Hall Moodey; children and their spouses, Meredith Moodey Poole and Joe Poole, Tucker and Dana Moodey, and Tia Moodey Hamilton and Tom Hamilton; and grandchildren Lily, Jack, and Hope Moodey; James, Mac, Lytle, and Tess Hamilton; and Amelia and Drummond Poole. Memorial contributions may be made to the Maine Community Foundation, Moodey Funds, c/o Maine Community Foundation, 245 Main Street, Ellsworth, Maine 04605; or the Episcopal Community Services Foundation, c/o the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, 2230 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115.
Rev. Philip T. Zabriskie H'67 , on December 25, 2005. He was seventy-seven and a resident of New York City.
Rev. Zabriskie graduated as salutatorian of his class at Princeton University and continued his studies at the Virginia Theological Seminary; at the Jung Institute, Zurich; and as a Rhodes Scholar at Baliol College, Oxford. He held offices in the National Episcopal Church and World Student Christian Federation and practiced as a Jungian analyst in New York. He served as chairman and president of the board of the C.G. Jung Foundation, and later as president of the board of the C. G. Jung Institute of New York and as a member of its faculty. He served on the executive committee of the International Association of Analytical Psychology and as a board member of the Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism, the Manhattan Country School, and the Yorkville Common Pantry. Zabriskie was a founding member of the Jungian Psychoanalytic Association. As a man, analyst, teacher, and writer, he transmitted the integrity of a considered and dedicated life.
He is survived by his wife, Beverley; daughter, Alexandra; and son, Philip Gray; and siblings Mary, George, and Alenader. Donations in his memory may be sent to the Manhattan Country School, Attn.: Hali Lee, Director of Institutional Development, 17 East 96th Street, New York, New York 10128; or Yorkville Common Pantry, 8 East 109th Street, New York, New York 10029.
Do you have feedback on this page?