Leonard C. Parnell Jr. '35 , on July 22, 2006. He was ninety-four and a resident of Birmingham, Alabama.
Len majored in chemistry at Kenyon, where he played football and golf and was a member of Alpha Delta Phi. He received an MS in metallurgy in 1937 from Vanderbilt University and worked for thirty-nine years for American Cast Iron Pipe Company, first in sales in Birmingham, then as district manager for the Minneapolis and Pittsburgh areas.
Len is survived by his second wife, Emily D. Parnell; daughters and son-in-law, Patricia and Michael Brawley and Ann Fetty; stepson Henry Drake III; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Virginia H. Parnell. Memorials may be sent to the Cathedral Church of the Advent, Financial Office, 2017 Sixth Avenue North, Birmingham, Alabama 35203, or to St. Agnes Episcopal Church, 3840 Lakeview Drive, Sebring, Florida 33870.
William S. Hunter '37 , on November 3, 2006. He was eighty-nine and a resident of Gambier, Ohio.
Bill was born on September 7, 1917, in Gambier, son of the late Fred and Jenny (Lewis) Hunter. At Kenyon, he was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity and majored in biology. Bill earned his DDS in 1942 from the Ohio State University School of Dentistry and practiced in Centerburg for fifty-four years, retiring in 2000. He was a member of the Mount Zion Lodge 109 of the Free and Accepted Masons; the Scottish Rite, Valley of Columbus; and the Aladdin Shrine, Columbus, as well as a lifetime member of the W.D. Miller Dental Society, the Lions Club, the Moose Lodge in Mount Vernon, Ohio, and the Harcourt Parish in Gambier. Bill was also a United States Coast Guard veteran of World War II. An avid hunter and fisherman, he enjoyed these activities with his many friends and grandsons. Bill had a great love for his farm and for agricultural science. He was one of the founders of the trapping program of the Knox County 4-H program, and he established the first and only scholarship fund to exclusively benefit graduates of Centerburg High School.
Bill is survived by his son, William S. Hunter Jr. of Mount Vernon; daughters and sons-in law, Patricia and Daniel Jamieson, of Gambier, and Kristine Hunter and Robert Jamieson, of Broomfield, Colorado; stepdaughters and sons-in-law Kerry and John Kadylak, of Wheeling, West Virginia, and Patricia and Thomas Lawrence of Denver, Colorado; grandchildren Andrew and Alex McGough; five step-grandchildren; five step-great-grandchildren; and companion Juanita Baumgardner. He is preceded in death by his wife, Kathleen M. Hunter, and a stepdaughter, Karen Sue Higgins. Memorial contributions may be made to the William S. Hunter Scholarship Fund, c/o First National Bank Trust Department, One South Main Street, Mount Vernon, Ohio 43050.
Jack W. Welty '41 , on October 4, 2004. He was eighty-five and a resident of Tucson, Arizona.
Jack majored in economics at Kenyon, where he was a member of Delta Tau Delta fraternity. He and his wife, Gladys, had three children, Ilse, Dagoberto, and Selma. Following ten years' service in the Navy, during which he participated in mine warfare and helped to survey Japan in order to find any remaining vessels over thirty feet, Jack restored three Colonial homes in Connecticut, and designed and built another home. From 1971 until 1992, he lived in Puerto Rico. In 1992, he moved to Tucson, Arizona, where he was a partner in Tucson Fiesta Rentals.
Frederick C. Alpers '42 , on July 26, 2006. He was eighty-five and a resident of Ridgecrest, California.
Born in Wheeling, West Virginia, on June 7, 1921, Fred graduated from Linsly Military Institute in 1939. At Kenyon, where he was a member of Delta Phi fraternity and participated in track, Fred majored in physics, graduating summa cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa in three years. In 1943, he earned an MS in physics from Yale University and took an intensive short course at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the newly developing technology of radio detection and ranging, or radar. During World War II, Fred worked at the famous RadLab at MIT for the Bureau of Standards, helping to develop the Bat, the first active-guided missile ever used in combat. After the end of the war, he stayed with the Bureau of Standards, moving to Washington, D.C., to work with Hugh Dryden, the future head of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
In 1952, when the bureau transferred its missile-development work to the Navy, Fred moved to California to work for the Naval Ordnance Lab (NOL) at Corona, California, on such systems as the Petrel, Puffin, Moth, Avocet, and Battu. He served as head of the guidance division and later was promoted to associate head, missile systems division, working on Sidewinder, Talos, Walleye, and Standard anti-radiation missiles. In 1971, Fred transferred, along with most of the NOL missile functions, to China Lake, California, where he worked on SHRIKE; other anti-radiation weapons; and the ship program, SWATH, as well as early remotely piloted vehicles in the radio frequency division of the electronic warfare department. Fred retired in 1981 but continued to serve as a consultant until the late 1980s.
Fred received more than sixty patents for missile guidance during his career. He was awarded the L.T.E. Thompson Award, the
Haske G. Wilson Award, the Department of Commerce Meritorious Service Award, and the Arthur S. Flemming Award as one of the country's top ten young scientists of 1959. In 1964, he was personally promoted by President Lyndon B. Johnson to the GS-16 grade.
Fred is survived by his wife of sixty years, the former Elizabeth Anne Sheffer; his daughter and son-in-law, Marilyn and Dean LeMieux, of Lake Forest, California; and two sons, the Reverend Frederick G. Alpers, of Glendale, Arizona, and Alan Alpers, of Oxnard, California.
Robert Uncas Hastings Jr. '44 , on January 14, 2005. He was eighty-two and a resident of San Marcos, Texas.
Bob was born in Lancaster, Ohio, on September 22, 1922, to Blanche M. and Robert U. Hastings '19 . A member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity, Bob attended Kenyon from September 1940 until March 1943, and from January until March 1946. In March 1945, as a sergeant in the Army, Bob wrote back to Kenyon from "somewhere in France" to say how much he enjoyed reading the November 1944 issue of the Alumni Bulletin. He served in the North African, Mediterranean, and European theaters of operations. Bob earned his JD from the Ohio State University and practiced law in partnership with his father in Lancaster.
Bob was a member of All Lancaster Masonic Bodies; Scottish Rite, Valley of Columbus, Ohio; Aladdin Temple Shrine in Columbus; and the Order of Symposiarch in Lancaster. He was past president of the Fairfield County Bar Association and member and past commander of the Vero Beach Power Squadron. Following his retirement, Bob moved first to Vero Beach, Florida, and then to Texas.
Bob is survived by his wife of thirty-one years, Phyllis; sons Robert Hastings of Round Rock, Texas, and Thomas Hastings, of New Braunfels, Texas; and two granddaughters. He was preceded in death by a sister, Katherine Powell.
John A. Ingwersen Jr. 1945 , on September 1, 2006. He was eighty-two and a resident of Traverse City, Michigan.
John, who was born in Columbus, Ohio, on December 4, 1923, attended Kenyon and the University of Michigan, where he won the prestigious Hopwood Award for poetry and fiction. At Kenyon, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.
Husband, father, grandfather, poet, and engineer, John had a unique and passionate vision of community shaped by an intelligent, worldly outlook and a heart of gold. He lived in Traverse City, Michigan; Ucluelet, British Columbia; Montreal, Quebec; Yale, British Columbia; and Kennebunkport, Maine. In his words, "and when I sing, I always sing the city of the heart, poised in high glee and a rubbing chuckle."
John and his wife, Patricia, had four children: Mariann, Kathy, Henry, and John A.
Charles T. Koehler '48 , on September 25, 2006. He was seventy-nine and a resident of Hamilton, Ohio.
Chuck was born in Hamilton on October 3, 1926, the son of Charles E. and Adelaide (Roach) Koehler. He was a graduate of the Hamilton High School class of 1944 and served in the U.S. Navy Air Corps in 1945-46. At Kenyon, he majored in economics and was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity. Chuck completed postgraduate studies in metallurgical engineering at the Ohio State University. In 1950, he married Margaret Woods and began his career at Hamilton Brass and Aluminum Casings Company, founded by his father, Charles E. Koehler, in 1914. Chuck became president and founder of Centri-Cast Corporation in 1958, and succeeded his father as president of Hamilton Brass in 1975. In 1993, he was cofounder of Miami-Cast Corporation in Miamisburg, Ohio. Miami-Cast succeeded Barry Foundry, which was established in 1841 and was the oldest foundry west of the Allegheny Mountains. Chuck retired in 1989 and was succeeded by his son, Tom.
Chuck was a director of First Financial Bank from 1972 to 1999, serving on the executive committee and as chairman of the trust and investment advisory committee. He was a member of the board and treasurer of Hamilton and Fairfield Mercy Hospitals beginning in 1972, and served as treasurer and trustee of the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Hamilton. He was also a member of the board of trustees and treasurer of Schroder Manor Retirement Community. He attended Trinity Episcopal Church.
Chuck is survived by his wife, Peggy; daughter and son-in-law, Marcia and Bill Bunce; son and daughter-in-law, Tom and Vera Koehler; three grandchildren, Mark, Caroline, and Alex Koehler; and three step-grandchildren, Roman, Amber, and Nathan Bunce. Memorials may be made to Colonial Foundation, Employee Assistance Fund, 520 Eaton Avenue, Hamilton, Ohio 45013.
Robert H. Wilson '48 , on August 23, 2006. He was eighty-four and a resident of Lake Forest, Illinois.
Bob served as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force from 1943 until 1946. At Kenyon, where he earned a degree in economics, he played tennis and was a member of Alpha Delta Phi.
Bob was president of Percy Wilson Mortgage and Finance Corporation, which was founded by his father. He remained as CEO for thirteen years after U.S. Steel purchased the company. Bob had extensive experience working with the government at both the federal and local level, including serving as chairman of the Mortgage Bankers Association of America, introducing legislation and testifying before the United States Congress. Cofounder of Elmhurst Federal Savings and Loan Association, Bob served as director on numerous savings and loan and Federal National Mortgage Association advisory committees, and the Freddie Mac liaison committee. He was a real estate advisor for the asset management committee of the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation from 1985 to 1991. Bob was also a founding director and chairman of the finance committee of ICM Property Investors, a New York Stock Exchange real estate investment trust that provided equity and financing for new office buildings in Massachusetts, Maryland, New Jersey, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Arizona, and California, and later took equity positions in warehouses in Kansas, California, and Washington from 1984 until 1992.
Bob regularly served on a pro bono basis with the Executive Service Corps of Chicago and as a volunteer executive for the International Executive Service Corps, serving in Hungary in 1993; Perm, Russia, in 1994; and Kazakhstan, helping to privatize real estate of all types following the breakup of the former U.S.S.R.
He is survived by his wife, Louise Wilson; son and daughter-in-law, R. Heggie and Julie Wilson; daughters and son-in-law, Sarah and John Sassen and Katherine Wilson; and numerous grandchildren, nieces, and nephews. Memorial contributions may be made to the Lake Forest Symphony Orchestra, 50 East Old Mill Road, Lake Forest, Illinois 60045; or the Ravinia Festival, 418 Sheridan Road, Highland Park, Illinois 60035.
Douglas Gregg Maxfield '49 , on November 1, 2006. He was eighty-one and a resident of Granville, Ohio.
Doug was born November 5, 1924, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, son of Olivia (Hatch) and William Gregg Maxfield. After graduating from high school in Muskegon, Michigan, he served as a pilot in the U.S. Army Air Corps, where he flew a B-24 Liberator. After World War II, he attended Kenyon, where he majored in economics and was a member of Alpha Delta Phi fraternity. Doug attended alumni events throughout his life.
After graduating, Doug joined Anchor Hocking in Lancaster, Ohio, where he worked for almost forty years in several states, eventually serving as vice president for purchasing. An avid sailor in Michigan and Florida, Doug retired in 1986 to Bellyache Ridge in Wolcott, Colorado. An active skier and volunteer, he worked with Vail Resorts Children's Ski School and volunteered for the World Cup championships, the Bellyache Metro District, and many other organizations. Doug and his wife, Jenny, moved to Granville to be closer to family, but he kept in touch with the Vail community by reading the Vail Daily online every day.
Doug is survived by his wife, Virginia B. Maxfield; brother, Warren; sons Gregg, Jeff, and Mike Maxfield; Bill and Charlie Seyferth; Jeff Johnson; many grandchildren; and great-grandsons Christopher and Max. He was preceded in death by wives Mary Peine Maxfield and Patricia Clover Maxfield, and son Steven Alfred Maxfield. Memorials may be made to the dZi Foundation, P.O. Box 632, Ridgway, Colorado 81432, or online at www.dzifoundation.org.
Rex R. Nelson '49 , on December 18, 2005. He was eighty-one and a resident of Oceanside, California.
Rex served in the Pacific theater of operations as a member of the U.S. Army Air Force from January 1943 until May 1946, when he was discharged as a first lieutenant. He majored in physics at Kenyon, graduating magna cum laude. Rex was president of the Middle Kenyon Association and earned the Ingham Prize in Physics. He earned an MS in 1951 from the University of California-Los Angeles and a PhD from Penn State in 1959; both degrees were in physics. He was a physics professor emeritus at Occidental College in Los Angeles, California, and coauthor of a calculus-level introductory physics textbook.
Rex was preceded in death by his wife, Eugenia. They had two sons, Peter and Matthew.
Frederick S. Jewitt 1950 , on August 6, 2006. He was eighty-one and a resident of Mentor, Ohio.
Fritz was born on July 25, 1925, in Shaker Heights, Ohio, the son of Rogers and Jessie Jewitt of Willoughby, Ohio. He graduated from University School in Shaker Heights and enlisted in the Air Force as a radio gunner during World War II. After his discharge, he attended Kenyon, where he majored in European history and was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He earned a BA from Western Reserve University.
In 1949, Fritz married Anne Simmons of Cleveland Heights, Ohio. He founded the F.S. Jewitt Insurance Agency, which he operated until January 2006.
Throughout his life, Fritz had a passion for gardening. His talents for design and color, as well as his knowledge and love of plants, were reflected in the many flower and vegetable garden beds he tended over his lifetime. Collecting antiques in Ohio, Maine, and beyond gave him many hours of pleasure. Fritz's artistic ability was also evident in the many refinishing projects that he undertook over the years. He enjoyed finding well-constructed and -designed furniture, refinishing it, and integrating the pieces into his houses.
Fritz was the husband of Lois Schneider Jewitt. He is survived by sons Jeffrey B. Jewitt '76 of Strongsville, Ohio, and Charles F. Jewitt of Nobleboro, Maine; grandsons Scott C. Jewitt of Chapel Hill, North Carolina, and James R. Jewitt of Nobleboro; nephew John Rogers Jewitt III; and nieces Barbara, Jennifer, and Jessie. He was preceded in death by his brother, John R. (Jack) Jewitt Jr. '44 .
James L. Rice '51 , on July 25, 2006, of complications from ALS. He was seventy-seven and a resident of Brunswick, Maine.
Jim was born in Shaker Heights, Ohio, on June 16, 1929, the son of Francis O. and Zita (Larkin) Rice. At Kenyon, he was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon and majored in political science. When Jim married Emily Mullaney in Shaker Heights in April 1956, his groomsmen included Paul Newman '49 , Alan Wright '51 , and Henry T. Berry '51 . Rice and Newman had operated a laundry business for students when they were at Kenyon together.
Jim was employed by McGraw Hill Publishing for thirty-three years, in Chicago, Detroit, and New York. When he retired in 1986, Jim and Emily moved from Montclair, New Jersey, to Bath, Maine, where they were active in the community. He was a member of the Bath Rotary Club and served on the boards of the Bath Water District and the Patten Free Library.
Jim is survived by sons David M. Rice, of Mill Valley, California, Charles L. Rice, of Herndon, Virginia, John F. Rice, of Beltsville, Maryland, and Joseph J. Rice, of North Yarmouth, Maine; daughter Amy J. Rice '93 , of Washington, D.C.; and grandchildren Justin, Jessica, James, Carey, and Jenna. He was preceded in death by his wife, Emily, in 1998. Memorial contributions may be made to the ALS Association, NNE Chapter, Concord Center, 10 Ferry Street, Suite 438, Box 314, Concord, New Hampshire 03301, or online at www.alsanne.org.
Van Dyne McCutcheon '52 , on October 19, 2006. He was seventy-five and a resident of Boulder, Colorado.
Van was born in St. Louis, Missouri, and while growing up, enjoyed floating trips in the Ozarks with his parents and his brother, John Dent McCutcheon III '50 . At Kenyon, where he majored in French, Van was a member of the track team and Beta Theta Pi. After his tour of duty in the Army, protecting the Panama Canal during the Korean War, he went to New York to begin a training program with Merrill Lynch. There he met his future wife, Priscilla Brown, and started working as a stockbroker, but moved into a career in international finance.
In 1961, upon hearing President Kennedy's call to "ask what you can do for your country," Van headed to Washington, D.C. His interest in helping the world inspired him to a career in international development, in both the government and the private sectors. He joined the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), which led to a two-year tour in Bogota, Colombia. He then spent eight years in Miami before returning to Washington and several more government positions that took him around the world. Rejoining USAID, he headed to Cairo, Egypt, for another adventure.
After retiring in 1990, he and Priscilla searched the country for the right location to settle, deciding on Boulder, where they found the beauty, serenity, and open-mindedness that Van so craved.
He believed that he should give back to the community, so he volunteered to gather food for the Emergency Family Assistance Association, deliver meals for Meals on Wheels, help with the Audubon bird count, monitor the Audubon bluebird houses at Walker Ranch, and serve on the Graduate School Advisory Council.
Van was a man of strong principles. He believed deeply in the promise of this country and loved to speculate on its political turns. He valued friendship and discussing ideas with close friends. A friend from his Tuesday morning coffee group recently said, "Van doesn't speak often, but when he does, everybody listens."
Van is survived by Priscilla, his wife of fifty years; son Daniel C. McCutcheon 1980 , of Boulder; daughter Elizabeth McCutcheon '82 , of Boulder; and many nieces and nephews. Contributions may be made to the Emergency Family Assistance Association, 900 Arapahoe, Boulder, Colorado 80302; the People's Clinic, 3303 North Broadway, Boulder, Colorado 80304; or Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, 950 Broadway, Denver, Colorado 80203.
H. Roland Read '52 , on August 30, 2006, of leukemia. He was seventy-eight and a resident of Roland Park, Maryland.
Roland was born in Philadelphia and raised in Short Hills, New Jersey. Following his Army service in Korea, Roland came to Kenyon, where he majored in history and was a member of the track team and Delta Tau Delta fraternity. He was known as "Tweedy" to his classmates, who remained his closest friends. Moving to Baltimore, he was a reporter for the Baltimore Sun from 1951 to 1954, covering crime and court news, and later became public-relations director for the old Armco Steel Plant. From 1970 until 1980, he was director of the Maryland Kidney Foundation.
In the late 1960s, Roland joined with other members of the Society for the Preservation of Federal Hill and Fells Point in a successful effort to prevent construction of an interstate highway across the Baltimore harbor. "Fells Point would not have survived without Roland," said former state Senator Julian L. Lapides, a fellow preservationist. "He was a visionary and could see what the area would become. He looked past the derelict buildings and saw a brilliant future." Roland purchased several properties in Fells Point, including the former Port Mission on South Broadway. By owning property, he became a litigant in a citizens' lawsuit to block the construction of the highway, which would have claimed many homes. To help cover legal fees incurred in the litigation, Roland, who was president of the preservation society from 1973 until 1975, conceived the Fells Point Fun Festival as a fundraiser and public-relations event.
Roland also sat on the boards of Baltimore Heritage and what is now the Baltimore Area Convention and Visitors Association. A former Eagle Scout, Roland remained active in Boy Scouts through involvement with Troop 1000 at the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.
He is survived by his wife of thirty-one years, the former Kathleen Hickey; sons Patrick Read, of Baltimore, Brian Read, of Washington, D.C., and Christopher Read, of Chestertown, Maryland; and daughter Bridget Read, of Washington.
Judson D. Speer '52 , on May 1, 2006. He was seventy-five and a resident of Rochester, New York.
At Kenyon, Jud was a member of the swim team and Delta Kappa Epsilon, as well as glee club and the staff of the Collegian. He graduated cum laude with a degree in biology. He also worked for three years in the college infirmary. In the alumni profile he sent in prior to his fortieth class reunion, Jud listed his most cherished Kenyon memory as "September 1951, worked at the infirmary under 'Ma' Lester. It was there that I got the letter that I had been accepted into medical school. It would not have happened without my Kenyon education."
He earned his MD at Albany Medical College in 1956, then served, and was decorated, as a captain in the Medical Corps, U.S. Army. Jud practiced pediatrics in Brighton, New York, for many years; spent nine years as a physician in the medical department of Xerox Corporation in Webster, New York; and worked for three years as a physician for Riverfront Medical Services before beginning a well-earned retirement. His life was characterized by a unique demeanor that complemented his genuine compassion, and by an extraordinary attention to detail that was perhaps best observed in the model shipbuilding hobby that he enjoyed for so many years.
Jud is survived by his wife, Fern B. Speer; mother-in-law, Margaret Buswell, of Ballstone Lake, New York; daughter and son-in-law, Lisa and Michael Case of Darien, Connecticut; sons and daughters-in-law Lance and Christine Speer of Rochester and Judson A. and Heidi Speer of Cobleskill, New York; stepdaughter Heather Weidrich of Victor, New York; stepson and daughter-in-law Scott and Beth Weidrich of Rochester; and grandchildren Emma, Elsa, and Peter Case, Maggie and Sarah Speer, Hannah and Max Speer, Danielle Manzi, and Henry Weidrich. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Jane E. Speer. Memorials may be made to the charity of choice or to the Hillside Special Santas for children's gifts, 1183 Monroe Avenue, Rochester, New York 14620.
Donald C. de Gruchy '53 , on August 14, 2006. He was seventy-six and a resident of Bend, Oregon.
Don was a graduate of the Choate School in Wallingford, Connecticut. He earned a degree in physics from Kenyon, where he was a member of Delta Phi fraternity, and studied for his master's degree at New York University. After serving in the U.S. Air Force as a meteorologist for four years, Don worked for Lockheed Martin Missiles and Space Company in Palo Alto, California, for more than thirty years. He retired as program manager in ordnance development in May 1990.
In 1991, Don wrote to the College alumni office that he was "now in hay, cattle, and real estate" as a ranch owner in Bend. He was an outdoor railways enthusiast and wrote many articles for Garden Railways magazine. Don volunteered at the High Desert Museum and other community organizations, and enjoyed rock hunting, photography, traveling with his family, and celebrating the Fourth of July.
He is survived by his wife of forty-four years, B.J.; sons Donald Jr., of Bend, and Daniel, of Campbell, California; nephew Kenneth de Gruchy, of Ridgewood, New Jersey; niece Cheryl Davis, of Albuquerque, New Mexico; and cousins Muriel McAlliey of Mars, Pennsylvania, Beverly MacElhinney of La Jolla, California, and Marjorie Gilbert of Endfield, Connecticut. Memorial contributions may be made to Central Oregon Home Health and Hospice, 2698 NE Courtney Drive, Suite 101, Bend, Oregon 97701.
Philip S. Holt '54 , on October 23, 2006, of Lewy body disease. He was seventy-five and a resident of Kennebunkport, Maine.
Phil was born in Lynn, Massachusetts, the son of Carroll and Charlotte Porter Holt and brother of Diana Holt Bishop. He was raised and educated in Marblehead and Swampscott, Massachusetts, before traveling to Toronto, Canada, for his high-school education at Pickering College and a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. At Kenyon, Phil was a member of ROTC, Ivy Club, Kenyon Singers, Arnold Air Society, and Beta Theta Pi. He also worked on the Collegian. He majored in economics, with Professor Paul Titus as his advisor.
Phil served in the Air Force as crew chief of a B-36. Following a career with Travelers Insurance Company, he joined the Foster Agency in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, then began his own businesses, first P and H Leasing, with longtime friend Al Perry, then Sales Recruiters, a partnership with his wife, Karen. After retirement, one of his favorite activities was to take his beloved dog, Kesu, to entertain residents of the Kennebunk Nursing Home. His passions were football, golf, sailing, reading, and spending time on the beach, where he was happy as a clam.
Phil's life was filled with an abundance of joy from family and friends; he never failed to inspire laughter with his quick, wry wit. He will always be remembered as a gentleman--a gentle man with a loving heart and a giving spirit.
Phil is survived by his wife, Karen; family; and many friends. Memorial donations may be made to the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust, P.O. Box 7028, Cape Porpoise, Maine 04014.
Jan T. Hallenbeck '61 , on August 9, 2006, after a long illness. He was sixty-six and a resident of Delaware, Ohio.
Jan was born April 13, 1940, in New York City, to Chester and Marian (Jones) Hallenbeck, and attended Trinity School in New York City. At Kenyon, where he majored in history, Jan played lacrosse and intramural sports, worked at the Collegian and WKCO, and was a member of Sigma Pi. He earned his MA and PhD degrees in history from New York University.
Jan taught European history at Queens College, New York, and at New York University. After three years at Indiana University's regional campus in Fort Wayne, Jan became a member of the history department at Ohio Wesleyan University (OWU) in 1969. He remained there for thirty years, retiring in 1999 as Aidan S. and Mollie Wollam Benedict Professor of History. His involvement in OWU affairs included work for alumni relations, admissions, the honors program, the National Colloquium, and codirection of two summer institutes on Renaissance humanism sponsored by the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Jan was a member of the American Historical Association, the American Catholic Historical Association, and Phi Alpha Theta, the national history honorary society. His courses spanned the time from ancient Greece and Rome to the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and the Reformation. His special interest was Italian history and culture. Over the years, he spent a total of three semesters teaching at the Florence (Italy) Center of Syracuse University, in addition to traveling to various Italian libraries for research. A recipient of both of OWU's teaching awards, in 1975 and 1984, Jan was elected to Phi Beta Kappa by the OWU chapter in 1987. He was the author of two books as well as many journal articles, scholarly papers, and reviews.
As a member of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Delaware, he served as vestry member, senior warden, Sunday school teacher, choir member, diocesan convention delegate, and stewardship campaign chair. His students, friends, and family will remember his innovative teaching methods, his wicked sense of humor, his love of baseball (especially the Cleveland Indians), and his political activities in Fort Wayne and Delaware.
Jan is survived by his wife of forty-three years, Carol, and sons and daughter-in-law Thomas and Reshma Hallenbeck, of Oakland, California, and Michael Hallenbeck '92 , of Minneapolis, Minnesota. Memorial contributions may be made to Ohio Wesleyan University, Jan T. Hallenbeck AMRS and Humanities Book Fund, 61 South Sandusky Street, Delaware, Ohio 43015; St. Peter's Episcopal Church, 45 West Winter Street, Delaware, Ohio 43015; or the Humane Society of Delaware County, 4920 Ohio 37E, Delaware, Ohio 43015.
Rev. John Elwyn Burton Blewett '62 , on September 25, 2006. He was sixty-nine and a resident of New Castle, Pennsylvania.
John was born October 4, 1936, in Highland Park, Michigan, the son of William Henry and Florence Annie Sheppard Blewett. A graduate of Highland Park High School, he graduated from Wayne State University and from Bexley Hall Divinity School in 1962. He was ordained a priest in the Episcopal Church on June 29, 1962, in St. Paul's Cathedral in Detroit, Michigan. From 1962 until 1981, John served at All Saints' Episcopal Church in Detroit, where he also served as chaplain at Detroit Children's Hospital; St. Michael's Church in Lansing, Michigan; St. David's in Garden City, Michigan; and Trinity Church in Alpena, Michigan. He married the former Helen S. Stevens on June 15, 1963.
In 1981, John was called to become the rector of Trinity Episcopal Church in New Castle, where he served until December 1999. He continued to work for the Diocese of Northwestern Pennsylvania, serving churches as an interim priest or supply priest. He did interim work in Cranberry Township, St. James Church in Boardman, and St. Augustine's Church in Youngstown. While serving the diocese, he was an instructor in church history for the Diocesan School for Ministry; dean of the Southwest Deanery; chairman of the diocesan personnel committee, member of the executive committee of the diocese, and a member of the Board of Examining Chaplains.
John especially loved his work as a spiritual director of diocesan renewal weekends for teens and young adults. His community involvement included twenty years' service on the board of the Caroline Knox Memorial Trust Fund, and serving on the board of the Drug and Alcohol Treatment Center and as chairman for the Lawrence County Crop Walk.
In addition to his wife, Helen, John is survived by daughters and sons-in-law Margaret and Thomas Riggans, and Kathleen and Robert Meeks, all of New Castle; sons Christopher J. Blewett, of Lubbock, Texas, and the Rev. Michael E. Blewett, of St. Louis, Missouri; brother, the Rev. Dr. William E. Blewett, of Dallas, Texas; and fifteen grandchildren. He was preceded in death by a brother, Calvin Dean Blewett. Memorial contributions may be made to Trinity Episcopal Church Memorial Fund for Columbarium, 212 North Mill Street, New Castle, Pennsylvania 16101.
William R. Weyland 1962 , on August 1, 2006. He was sixty-five and a resident of Dewey, Arizona.
Bill was born on September 17, 1940, in Racine, Wisconsin, to Robert E. and Ruth (Cheska) Weyland. He was educated in the Racine school systems and attended St. John's Military Academy for his high school education. He attended Kenyon, where he was a member of Alpha Delta Phi, from 1958 until 1960, and earned his BA from Dominican College in Racine. Bill did graduate work at San Diego State University, where he also participated in anthropological and archaeological studies. He joined the U.S. Navy, attending Officers Candidate School in Newport, Rhode Island, and becoming a procurement officer at the naval base in Gulfport, Mississippi.
After an honorable discharge from the Navy, Bill began his career in the nonprofit sector by serving as director of the Racine area United Way for ten years. After moving to Scottsdale, Arizona, he worked as executive director of the Diabetes Association of Phoenix, then moved to Casa Grande, Arizona, to become the United Way director for that county. Upon retirement, Bill continued his philanthropic work in Dewey, Arizona, volunteering his time and efforts in the rescue and care of abused and abandoned animals in Yavapai County, Arizona.
Bill is survived by his sister, Lynn W. Dillner, of Charlotte, North Carolina; niece, Kirsten R. Wyman, of Dallas, Texas; and close companion, Isabel M. McCall, of Scottsdale, and her daughter, Corinne D. McCall, of Raleigh, North Carolina. He was preceded in death by his parents. Memorial contributions may be made to the Countryside Humane Society, 2706 Chicory Road, Racine, Wisconsin 53403-4011, or to the Yavapai Humane Society, 1625 Sundog Ranch Road, Prescott, Arizona 86301.
Thomas H. Ireland '63 , on March 1, 2004. He was sixty-two and a resident of Lombard, Illinois.
Tom was born April 26, 1941, in Chicago, Illinois, the son of Jerry Clay and June Hoper Price. At Kenyon, where he enrolled as "Tom Price," he was a member of Sigma Pi. Tom earned his master's degree in social work from the University of Illinois. He was a social worker and the former director of Glen Ellyn Youth and Family Services.
Tom is survived by sons and daughters-in-law John and Andromana Price, of Tinley Park, Illinois, and Stephen and Laura Price, of Glen Ellyn; grandchildren Joshua, Zachary, and Stephanie Price; and cousins Allen Fleming, of Twin Lakes, Wisconsin, and Robert Fleming, of Naperville, Illinois.
John A. Kuehl '65 , on October 26, 2006. He was sixty-three and a resident of Winthrop Harbor, Illinois.
At Kenyon, Jack was a member of Beta Theta Pi and played lacrosse. A Vietnam veteran, he served as a first lieutenant in the Army. He was retired from Allstate Insurance.
Jack is survived by his sons and daughters-in-law, David and Dawn Kuehl, and Joseph and Olena Kuehl; brothers and sisters-in-law Michael and Karen Kuehl, and Bill and Cara Kuehl; aunt and uncles, Rosamund and James Schergen, Godfrey Zakula, and Miro Zakula; cousins Susan, JoAnn, Michael, Carol, Helen, Denise, Mark, Diane, Tom, and Bob; many nieces and nephews; and dear friends Milt Burford, Norm Boxley, Ray Downey, Al Harju, Carl Mustari, Tom Ferguson, and Troy Doolin. Memorial contributions may be made to a charity of choice or to the VA.
Richard A. Poetker '66 , on November 1, 2006, of metastasized melanoma. He was sixty-two and a resident of Racine, Wisconsin.
Pete was born in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the son of Wilfred and Anne (Keown) Poetker. At Kenyon, he majored in English and was a member of student council, the swim team, and Delta Tau Delta fraternity. Pete earned his MBA from Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio, in 1971. He served as a first lieutenant in the Army during the Vietnam war and married the former Bernadette Nihlson in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in 1967.
For more than twenty-five years, Pete was employed by S.C. Johnson and Son, Inc., where he was working as treasury manager when he retired in 2002. He belonged to the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants, and the Chartered Financial Analysts Institute. He was a member of St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Racine, where he served as treasurer. He was a member of the board of directors and served as both president and treasurer of the Racine County Opportunity Center.
Pete is survived by his wife of thirty-nine years, Bernadette; sons and daughters-in-law Christopher and Tammie Poetker, David and Rebecca Poetker, and Richard W. Poetker; daughters and son-in-law, Catherine and Jacob Bjork, and Jennifer Poetker; grandchildren Thomas and Barrett; sister-in-law and her husband, Jean and Dennis Kehoe; uncle Allan Jankus; nieces and husband Laura and Paul Hammer, and Alexa Kehoe; other relatives; and many dear friends. In addition to his parents, Pete was preceded in death by his mother-in-law, Florence Nihlson, and aunt, Isabel Jankus. Memorials may be made to St. Michael's Episcopal Church, 4701 Erie Street, Racine, Wisconsin 53402.
Yale Michael Greenfield '68 , on October 7, 2002. He was fifty-six and a resident of Minnetonka, Minnesota.
Yale was born April 30, 1946, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.He was an Eagle Scout and was awarded the Order of the Arrow. At Kenyon, where he majored in economics, Yale was a member of Sigma Pi and Peeps fraternities. In 1971, he earned a BFA at the Art Center College of Design in Los Angeles, California.
He was a gifted photographer and left behind beautiful images. Yale was a salesperson who loved to solve his customers' problems. He was the kindest, most gentle person. He died in comfort and in peace, surrounded by his family and friends.
Yale is survived by his wife, Ellen Joseph; mother, Ida; brother, Gary; Cocker spaniel, Murray; in-laws too numerous to mention; and aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, and coworkers. Memorials may be made to the Mental Health Association of Minnesota, 2021 East Hennepin Avenue, Suite 412, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55413-2726; the Greenfield Family Education Fund at Adath Jeshurun Congregation, 10500 Hillside Lane West, Minnetonka, Minnesota 55305; or a charity of choice.
George Meyer Cheston 1970 , on July 13, 2006. He was fifty-seven and a resident of Naperville, Illinois.
Born in Chestnut Hill, Pennsylvania, George was the son of E. Calvert and Nancy Cheston. He attended Chestnut Hill Academy and the Wharton School, and was a graduate of St. Paul's School of Concord, New Hampshire. From 1966 until 1971, he attended Kenyon, where he was active in drama.
George owned QED Laser Entertainment in Westmont, Illinois, an audio and video retail business. He had a lifelong passion for music, film, and the performing arts, and since 1983 had been a member of the Lyric Opera Board in Chicago.
George is survived by his mother, Nancy; brother, Radcliffe Cheston; and sisters Martha Cheston and Julia Cheston, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Frances Cheston, of Sun Valley, Idaho. Memorial contributions may be made to the Lyric Opera of Chicago, 20 North Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois 60606.
Kathryn L. Jacobs '78 , on July 15, 2006. She was fifty and a resident of Mansfield, Ohio.
Kathryn was born February 5, 1956, in Boston, Massachusetts, the daughter of Robert C. and Margaret (Lodwick) Jacobs. At Kenyon, she majored in psychology and played volleyball. A member of the Occupational Therapist Society, she was employed for the last ten years at Rehab Services and truly enjoyed working with the children there. Kathryn also enjoyed spending time with her cats.
She is survived by her mother, Peg Jacobs, of Nerinx, Kentucky; sisters and brother-in-law, Barbara Lea Jacobs, of Columbus, Ohio, and Kim and Mike Kelly, of Lafayette, Colorado; niece and nephew, Jillian and Andrew Kelly; and stepmother, Jane Jacobs, of Waltham, Massachusetts. She was preceded in death by her father. Memorial contributions may be made to the American Cancer Society.
Monica McClain Reusch Ebert '85 , on June 5, 2006, of cancer. She was forty-two and a resident of Salt Lake City, Utah.
Monica was born on July 19, 1963, in Camp Zama, Japan. She attended grade school in Winfield, Kansas, and high school in Wichita, Kansas. At Kenyon, she majored in psychology and was a member of the track team. In 1991, she earned a PhD in clinical psychology from Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. After participating in practices of clinical psychology in Utah County, Weber County, and Salt Lake County, Monica established a private practice in Tooele, where she actively provided services until her final illness.
Monica is survived by her sons, Brandon Milford Ebert and Sage Geher; her father, Clifford S. Reusch MD; and her brother, Clifford B. Reusch. Memorial contributions may be made to Camp Hobe Childhood Cancer Camp, PO Box 520755, Salt Lake City, Utah 84152; the American Cancer Society; or the Huntsman Cancer Foundation, 500 Huntsman Way, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108.
Deceased alumni for whom we have no additional information
Carter W. Brown 1945 , on April 23, 2002. He was eighty and a resident of Tryon, North Carolina.
Harris D. Lang '50 , on November 5, 2006. He was seventy-nine and a resident of Walpole, Massachusetts.
Richard H. Grimm '54 , on June 28, 2006. He was seventy-four and a resident of Lathrup Village, Michigan.
Salvatore J. Capozzi '56 , on May 8, 2006. He was seventy-one and a resident of Wilmington, North Carolina.
Arthur Mark Wolman '56 , on May 15, 2006. He was seventy-two and a resident of Revere, Massachusetts.
Thomas J. ("T.K.") Kysela '58 , on May 4, 2006, of pancreatic cancer. He was seventy and a resident of Key West, Florida.
Carl L. Thayler '68 , on November 6, 2005. He was seventy-two and a resident of Madison, Wisconsin.
Joan Lee Crump , on November 13, 2006, following a long battle with ovarian cancer. The wife of Professor Emeritus of English Galbraith Crump, she was seventy-four and a resident of Charlottesville, Virginia, and Topsham, England.
Born in Gloversville, New York, Joan was the daughter of writer and Arctic explorer Herbert Patrick Lee and Elise Souls of Gloversville. A 1952 graduate of Lasell Junior College in Newton, Massachusetts, she was briefly a model for Filene's of Boston before marrying Galbraith Miller Crump in the same year. The Crumps came to Kenyon in 1965. They had five sons, four of whom survive her. Joan worked as a teacher for Knox County Head Start.
On retirement, she and her husband moved to Charlottesville to be close to their son, Andrew, a member of Innisfree Village, who had survived a severe automobile accident in 1975 and had been nursed back to health by her over a long illness.
Joan is survived by her husband, Galbraith; four sons, Andrew, Patrick, Timothy, and Nicholas; and nine grandchildren. A fifth son, Ian, died in an automobile accident in Kentucky in 2003. Donations may be made to Worksource Enterprise's scholarship program in her name.
Daniel Kading H'86 , on September 6, 2006. A former philosophy professor at Kenyon, he was eighty-five and a resident of Austin, Texas.
He was born May 5, 1921, to Ida M. (Becker) and August Kading in Juneau, Wisconsin. After graduating from Juneau High School in 1939, Kading earned a BA in 1943 from the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
From 1943 to 1946, Kading served as a communications officer in the U.S. Army Air Corps. When his military service ended, he continued his education, earning an MA from the University of Wisconsin. In 1947, he married Elisabeth Ann Bland in Madison. In 1949, he earned a PhD in philosophy from Cornell University.
Kading was a professor of philosophy at the University of Texas at Austin from 1949 until 1967, and at Kenyon from 1967 until 1986, when he retired. During a teaching career that spanned nearly forty years, he received numerous honors, including the Teaching Excellence Award from the University of Texas Students Association in 1962 and an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters from Kenyon in 1986.
After thirty years of marriage and five children, Elisabeth died in 1977. In 1981, Kading married Marion Catherine Knowles in Austin. They spent twenty-five years together, dividing their time between Gambier and Austin.
Kading is survived by his wife, Marion; daughters and sons-in-law Anne and Ronald Freeman and Thomas and Sarah Frankum '85 ; sons Daniel and Hume 1973 ; grandchildren August, Daniel, Elisabeth, Lydia, Robert, Samantha, Thomas, and Trevor; and daughters-in-law Becky (Ries) and Kitene (Brown). He was preceded in death by his first wife, Elisabeth, and son, Thomas. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that donations be made to the American Cancer Society.
Reverend Alfred Byron Starratt , on August 2, 2006, of complications from Parkinson's disease. A former Kenyon chaplain, he was ninety-one and a resident of Penobscot, Maine.
Born in Quincy, Massachusetts, Starratt graduated from Boston University in 1939 and received a divinity degree at the Episcopal Theological School in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and was ordained an Episcopal minister in 1942. He was rector of St. Anne's Episcopal Church in Lincoln, Massachusetts, and went to central China as part of the Anglican mission in Wuhan, where he served as associate professor of religion at Huachung University. He escaped from China in 1949 during the Communist Revolution and returned to Stockbridge, Massachusetts, where he was rector of St. Paul's Church. After receiving a doctorate in philosophy and theology from Harvard University, he became rector of the Church of the Holy Spirit at Kenyon, where he was college chaplain and associate religion professor from 1952 to 1955.
He is survived by his wife of nineteen years, the former Katrin Rittler; daughters Penny Starratt Duffy, of Rochester, Minnesota, and Polly Starratt Lemire, of Santa Rosa, California; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Another daughter, Patricia Elizabeth Starratt, died in 2003. His forty-eight-year marriage to the former Anna L. Mazur ended in divorce.
Right Reverend Herbert Thompson H'93 , on August 16, 2006. He was seventy-two and a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Bishop Thompson, an emeritus member of Kenyon's board of trustees, was the first African American elected bishop of the Diocese of Southern Ohio and the second black bishop in the Episcopal Church. He had retired in December 2005 after serving the diocese, which includes more than 25,000 people in forty counties, for seventeen years. His close friend Desmond Tutu, retired archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, came to Cincinnati to attend Bishop Thompson's retirement dinner.
As bishop, he rededicated Christ Church as the diocese's cathedral and led the construction of the Procter Camp and Conference Center, a state-of-the-art center in London, Ohio. He also established the Anglican Academy, an education program for laity and vocational deacons.
Bishop Thompson was born in the Bronx and grew up in Harlem and Brooklyn. He graduated from P.S. 67 in Brooklyn in 1952, and served four years in the U.S. Air Force. After his discharge, he worked as an airport mechanic for three years before enrolling in Lincoln University, a historically black college in Chester County, Pennsylvania. In the fall of 1962, he entered General Theological Seminary; he was the only black student. When he graduated in 1965, he had to take a job driving a taxi, while all of his fellow students received parishes.
In 1978, Bishop Thompson was elected rector of Grace Church, Jamaica--the mother church of the diocese of Long Island. He thought that was where he would stay. Then he was nominated to be eighth bishop of the Diocese of Southern Ohio. He was elected bishop coadjutor in 1988, on the first ballot. He was consecrated as the eighth bishop of Southern Ohio in 1992.
He was preceded in death by his wife, Russelle Cross Thompson, to whom he was married from 1968 until her death in 2002. He is survived by their three children, Herb, Owen, and Kyrie; and a grandchild.
Alvin M. Weinberg H'69 , on October 18, 2006, of heart disease. He was ninety-one and a resident of Oak Ridge, Tennessee.
A member of the National Academy of Sciences, Weinberg helped develop the technology behind the atomic bomb in the 1940s at the University of Chicago and came to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, in 1945 to work for Clinton Laboratories, later to become Oak Ridge National Laboratory, as part of the Manhattan Project. Though he remained a vigorous proponent of nuclear energy, he worried that nuclear weapons might be used again in war. As a scientist, this son of Russian emigrants, born in Chicago and educated at the University of Chicago, coauthored the standard text on nuclear chain reaction theory with Nobel Laureate Eugene Wigner in the 1940s. He also wrote two memoirs.
In 1975, Weinberg founded and became director of the Institute for Energy Analysis at Oak Ridge Associated Universities. After leaving the Oak Ridge laboratory, he was named director of the U.S. Office of Energy Research and Development, which came up with the idea of a solar energy institute, now known as the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. Weinberg also chaired a federal commission that in 1977 recommended spending $100 million in the next decade to pinpoint the causes and effects of rising amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. He retired in 1985.
Weinberg is survived by a son, Richard J. Weinberg of Durham, North Carolina; a sister; and three grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his first wife, Margaret Despres Weinberg, in 1969, and his second wife, Genevieve DePersio Weinberg, in 2004.
Do you have feedback on this page?