Joseph H. Allen Jr. '38

Former president of McGraw-Hill

Robert S. "Dick" Harrison '53

Business leader and College trustee

John J. “Jack” McCoy ’42, on June 18, 2012. The Egg Harbor, Wisconsin, man was ninety-two.

Jack was an economics major. He was on the Lords football and track teams. He joined Beta Theta Pi. He left Harvard Business School to join the U.S. Navy and served as a lieutenant during World War II. He was active in the Pacific Theater and during the Guadalcanal Campaign.

Jack spent his career with the Charter Manufacturing Co., where he became vice president.

He enjoyed curling and was president of the Milwaukee Curling Club. He loved to sail and was known as “Captain Jack” and helped found the Egg Harbor Yacht Club. He raced in a Flying Scott sailboat named after his mother, Laura. Jack found time for golf, tennis, and travel. And he donated flags and flag-poles for public buildings and waterfronts in the Egg Harbor area.

His wife, Ruth, died after fifty-six years of marriage. He was survived by his daughter, Suzy Boerke; son, John J. McCoy Jr.; and two grandsons.

William C. Lane ’44, on May 23, 2012. He was ninety-one and lived in Weekapaug, Rhode Island.

William played Lords football and lacrosse. He joined Delta Tau Delta. He served in the U.S. Navy as a lieutenant in World War II for thirty months in the Pacific Theater.

He went to work for Gladwin & Lane/The Energy People of Westfield, Massachusetts, and succeeded his father, Robert P. Lane, as owner and chief executive officer. William was active in community affairs, serving as president of the Westfield YMCA and as a trustee at Noble Hospital. He also took a turn as commodore of the Weekapaug Yacht Club and president of the Weekapaug Tennis Club.

William was survived by Lillias, his wife of twenty-seven years; daughters Marcia Harden, Linda Merriman, and Lindsey Lane; stepchildren Edward Bridgman Jr. and Allyn Petit; five grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; four step-grandchildren; and sister, Marcia Feakes. Gifts in his name may be sent to the Weekapaug Foundation for Conservation, 4 Wawaloam Drive, Westerly, Rhode Island, 02891; Deerfield Academy, Deerfield, Massachusetts, 01342; YMCA, 67 Court Street, Westfield, Massachusetts, 01085;  or YMCA, 95 High Street, Westerly, Rhode Island, 02891.

Henry Kittredge ’45, on March 27, 2012. He was eighty-seven and lived in Hagerstown, Maryland.

Henry was a political science major. He joined the Middle Kenyon Association and worked on the Collegian. He earned a master’s degree at the University of Delaware in 1972. Henry served in the U.S. Army during World War II.

He was a teacher and librarian at Mercersburg Academy in Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. Henry later owned the Light & Shade Antique Shop in Mercersburg.

He was survived by sons Daniel Kittredge, Jonathan Kittredge, and David Kittredge. Gifts in his name may be sent to Hospice of Washington County, 747 Northern Avenue, Hagerstown, Maryland, 21741.

David Parke ’45, on November 8, 2011. The Spring Hill, Florida, resident was eighty-nine.

David was a mathematics and physics major. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

In the 1960s, he was president of Cushman and Denison Manufacturing Co. of Carlstadt, New Jersey, which made art-supply and stationery products. David then became assistant to the president of Massachusetts-based Chart-Pak Inc., which produced products for the drafting, art, and visual communications fields. He later became a stock broker in Boston.

David was survived by his wife, Cecilia; daughter, Elisabeth Hayes; son, David Parke Jr.; six grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.

Robert P. Snowberger ’47, on December 21, 2011. The Westlake, Ohio, lawyer was eighty-seven.

Robert joined Sigma Pi and was a member of the Collegian staff, the International Relations Club, the German Club, and the Riding and Polo Club. He earned a law degree at Western Reserve University. Robert was active in Republican Party politics.

Donations in his name may be sent to ICS Hospice, 28550 Westlake Village, Westlake, Ohio, 44145.

James O. Youtsey Jr. 1947 P’78, on May 18, 2011. The Fort Mitchell, Kentucky, man was eighty-five.

James joined Delta Tau Delta. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1948. He attended graduate school at the University of Cincinnati.

James enjoyed a career in the insurance business and retired as the co-owner of Beutel/Youtsey Insurance in Covington, Kentucky. He was a vestryman at Trinity Episcopal Church in Covington and served on the board of William Booth Hospital there.

He was survived by Nancy, his wife of fifty-seven years; daughters Deborah A. Youtsey ’78, Nancy L. Youtsey, and Susan Ireland; son, Thomas O. Youtsey III; three grandchildren; and sister, Sister Mary Frances.

William T. “Bill” Bulger ’49 Jr., on February 16, 2012. The Mount Pleasant, Michigan, historian was eighty-five.

Bill was a history major. He was president of Psi Upsilon. Bill’s time at Kenyon was interrupted by service in the U.S. Army from 1945-46. He earned a master’s in history at the University of Michigan in 1949 and a doctorate in history at Michigan in 1957. He also studied at the Queen’s University in Belfast, Northern Ireland.

He began his teaching career at the Ohio State University in 1955 and spent most of his academic career teaching U.S. and some European history at Central Michigan University, retiring in 1992. Bill believed that his students made his career worthwhile. He was the author of The British Expedition to Charleston and The Great American Quiz Book. He was also editor of the Michigan Historical Review. Bill was a member of the American Historical Society and the Organization for American Historians.

While at Kenyon, Bill befriended Olof Palme ’48, who later became prime minister of Sweden.

Bill’s wife, Marjery, was also on the Central Michigan faculty, and they enjoyed a happy marriage and many travels until her death in 1993. Bill was survived by his daughter, Ann Rice; two grandsons; and sister, Mary Schaefer. Gifts in his memory may be sent to the William Bulger Memorial History Lecture Fund or the Marjery Bulger Physical Education and Sport Lecture Fund at Central Michigan University, 1200 South Franklin Street, Mount Pleasant, Michigan, 48858.

William “Bill” Kuhn Jr. ’49 P ’76, on June 18, 2012. The Chagrin Falls, Ohio, resident was eighty-seven.

Bill was a political science major. He was a Lords swimmer and joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. He served in the U.S. Army 97th Infantry Division during World War II.

He worked at Republic Steel and then Champion Welding Products, where he was a purchasing agent. He built clocks and guns and enjoyed woodworking, golf, and fishing. He was known for his calm patience, charming smile, and good humor.

He was survived by Betty, his wife of sixty-three years; daughters Sharon Cecil and Lissy Zaremba; son, James W. Kuhn ’76; eight grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and sister, Jane Thomas. Donations in his name may be sent to Hospice of the Western Reserve, 17876 St. Clair Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, 44110.

William C. Porter ’49 P ’74, on May 21, 2012. The Mackinac Island, Michigan, resident was eighty-eight.

William was a history major. He joined Psi Upsilon. He attended Kenyon for one year when his formal education was interrupted by four years of service in the U.S. Army Signal Corps, 10th Armored Division, during World War II.

He became an auto-industry personnel executive, working for Chrysler Corporation, Federal-Mogul, and Ziebart Rustproofing. William also worked for a time as a marketing consultant to the Arnold Transit Co. He was active in many community organizations, including Mackinac Associates, dedicated to preserving and sharing the island’s heritage.

William served on Alumni Council.

He was survived by Lornie, his wife of sixty-two years; sons Armin Porter, Phil Porter ’74, and Matthew Porter; daughter, Julie Porter; ten grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Donations in his name may be sent to Mackinac Associates, 526 N. Huron Ave., Mackinac City, Michigan, 49701.

John A. “Jack” Horner Jr. ’50, on April 10, 2012, of kidney failure. The Shaker Heights, Ohio, man died at home at eighty-three.

Jack was a Spanish major. He played Lords baseball and football and joined Sigma Pi.  He earned a master’s in school administration at Western Reserve University in 1956.

He joined the faculty at the University School in Shaker Heights in 1953 and taught Latin and Spanish. He was head of the Latin Department, debate team faculty advisor, college admissions counselor, and baseball and football coach. He compiled a record of 78-28 as head football coach for thirteen years, including consecutive undefeated seasons starting in 1960. His football teams won five consecutive Interstate League championships. His baseball teams won two league championships.

His goal as a football coach, he told Northeast Ohio Avenues magazine in 2000, was to make the experience fun for his players. “Half my players could not even make a public school team,” he said. That story was about “legendary coaches” in Northeast Ohio. In a 1965 story in the Plain Dealer of Cleveland, Jack was described as “a high-class, Ivy-type fellow and one of the solid football coaches in the area.” Jack told the reporter, “We’re performing to every bit of our capacity.”

He left Ohio to become headmaster at Harrisburg Academy in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1968. He served there for ten years and returned to the Cleveland area to become executive director of the Cleveland Engineering Society. He retired in 1985.

 Jack served twice as interim director of the Shaker Lakes Nature Center. He founded the Cleveland chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. As a member of the Sons of the American Revolution, he earned the national Minuteman Award in 2001. He enjoyed travel, golf, and bridge.

Jack was much involved in alumni activities. He served as the Cleveland Regional Association president and was presented the 1992 Anne J. Robinson Award as outstanding regional association president. He won the Distinguished Service Award in 1995.

He was survived by his wife, Mary Alice; daughter, Marilyn Knox; son, John A. Horner III; two grandchildren; and a sister, Dorothy Mae Jackson. Gifts in his name may be sent to the University School Scholarship Fund, 2785 S.O.M. Center Road, Hunting Valley, Ohio, 44022, or Kenyon College, Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Charles O. Newell 1950, on March 15, 2012. He died at home in Orlando, Florida, at eighty-five.

He entered Kenyon after serving in the U.S. Army Air Forces in World War II. He joined Delta Kappa Epsilon.

Charles spent most of his career as a general partner of the Cleveland investment firm Prescott, Ball & Turben. He was active in Midland, Texas, where he worked in the financing and sale of several oil companies. Charles retired in 1990.

He was survived by his wife, Judith; sons Charles Newell Jr. and David Newell; daughter, Marci Wiersema; stepchildren Murphy Foster III and Judith Foster; seven grandchildren; and brother, John Newell III. Donations in his name may be sent to Hospice of the Comforter, 480 W. Central Parkway, Altamonte Springs, Florida, 32714.

Marvin B. Ellis ’52, on May 29, 2012. The resident of Columbia, South Carolina, died on his eighty-third birthday after an extended illness.

Marvin was a history major. He was president of Sigma Pi. He ran a sandwich and flower business while at Kenyon. Marvin served in the U.S. Army with the 45th Infantry Division from 1952-54 and was stationed in Korea. He earned a master’s in history at Gannon University in 1974.

He started his career as an office manager for the Aluminum Company of America in Pittsburgh and then moved to the Los Angeles office of the company as section manager.  Marvin then joined the sales staff at the Whitmer-Jackson Co. of Buffalo and advanced to become advertising manager. He became owner and president of Presque Isle Cottage Court, a cottage resort in Erie, Pennsylvania. Marvin moved on to become director of alumni affairs at Edinboro State College.

Marvin was survived by Stephanie, his wife of fifty-five years; daughter, Loraine Vienne; a grandson; and sisters Audrey Krivonak and Norma Arble. Donations in his name may be sent to Kenyon College, Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Robert H. Goodwin ’53, on December 18, 2009. The Houston man was eighty-one. Robert was a history major.

William B. Hanaford ’53, on January 9, 2012. The Glenview, Illinois, physician was eighty.

William was a biology major. He was on the Lords football and track teams. He joined Delta Tau Delta and was a member of the Collegian staff. He earned his medical degree at Northwestern University in 1957. He specialized in internal medicine. William served in the U.S. Air Force from 1959-62.

William was survived by sons William Hanaford Jr., David Hanaford, and Robert Hanaford; daughters Carolyn Warsco, Barbara Hanaford, and Linda Hanaford; and eleven grandchildren.

Theodore N. “Ted” Lynch ’54, on February 19, 2012. The Houston physician was seventy-nine.

Ted was a biology major. He joined Delta Tau Delta. He earned his medical degree at the University of Louisville in 1958 and interned and did part of his residency at the New England Medical Center in Boston. Ted completed another part of his residency at the Seton Hall College of Medicine, where he completed his fellowship in endocrinology.

Ted served in the U.S. Air Force for two years and conducted endocrine research at Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio, Texas. He then became a clinical faculty member at the University of Louisville and worked as a physician for the school’s Student Health Services. He went on to practice medicine in Louisville for forty years as a solo practitioner and then as the founder of Endocrine Associates.

He captained his houseboat—The Happy Hormone—on the Ohio River for thirty-five years. He also enjoyed playing the saxophone and listening to music. Ted appreciated cribbage and the occasional cigar.

Ted was preceded in death by Caroline, his wife of forty-five years. He was survived by sons Richard Norton and John Norton; five grandchildren; and sister, Jeanne Pitt. Gifts in Ted’s memory may be sent to the University of Louisville Foundation, Office of University Advancement, Louisville, Kentucky, 40292.

Donald K. Marsh ’54, on April 9, 2012. The Fort Mill, South Carolina, lawyer was seventy-nine.

Donald was a political science major and graduated magna cum laude. He was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He played Lords basketball and football and was captain of both teams. He was president of Sigma Pi and president of the junior class. He was a member of the Student Council. Donald earned a law degree at Harvard Law School. He served in the U.S. Army with the 3rd Armored Division and was stationed in Germany.

He worked in the corporate law division of Aetna Life and Casualty for thirty-five years in Cleveland, Los Angeles, and Hartford, Connecticut.

Donald enjoyed golf and astronomy. He was a fan of the sports teams of the Ohio State University and University of Connecticut.

He was survived by Harriet, his wife of fifty-four years; daughters Lisa Simila and Jill Garrity; and five grandchildren. Gifts in his memory may be sent to Hospice & Community Care, P.O. Box 993, Rock Hill, South Carolina, 29731.

Thomas A. “Tom” Tenney 1954, P’80,’84, on February 1, 2012. The Charleston, South Carolina, man was eighty.

Tom was an English major. He worked on the Collegian staff. He went on to graduate from the University of South Carolina. Tom earned a master’s degree in English at Columbia University in 1965 and a doctorate in English at the University of Pennsylvania in 1971.

Tom began his career teaching science at Storm King School in Cornwall-on-Hudson, New York, and the Moorestown Friends School in Moorestown, New Jersey. Tom then taught English at Rutgers University, the College of Charleston, Charleston Southern University, and The Citadel.

He became fascinated by Mark Twain and was a leading scholar on the author and humorist. Tom published Mark Twain: A Reference Guide in 1977, and the book was periodically updated. Lewis Leary, professor of English at the University of North Carolina, called the book “a masterwork.” Tom helped launch The Mark Twain Circular and, starting in 1984, edited the Mark Twain Journal, which provided a forum for Twain scholars. He was recognized for lifetime achievement for contributions to Mark Twain studies at the Fifth International Mark Twain Conference on the State of Mark Twain Studies in Elmira, New York, in 2005.

Tom was survived by his wife, Margaret; sons A. Robert Tenney ’80, Charles Tenney, and William S. “Will” Tenney ’84; a grandchild; and brother, James Tenney. Gifts in his memory may be sent to the Center for Mark Twain Studies, Elmira College, One Park Place, Elmira, New York, 14901.

David L. Hoffman 1955, on February 21, 2001. The Olympia, Washington, man was sixty-seven.

Thomas W. Kiger 1955, on December 31, 2011, after a brief illness. He lived in Cincinnati and was seventy-eight.

Thomas played Lords soccer and joined Alpha Delta Phi. He graduated from Ohio Wesleyan University in 1955 and was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. He served as a captain in the U.S. Air Force from 1956-59. Thomas earned a master’s in business administration at Xavier University in 1974.

He worked at Procter and Gamble in Cincinnati, where he became an accounting supervisor. Thomas later worked for twenty-eight years at Jewish Hospital in Cincinnati, where he was director of patient accounting.

He was survived by his wife, Kay; sons Russell Kiger and Jon Kiger; sisters Carol Allen and June Baughman; brother, Dan Kiger; and five grandchildren. Donations in his name may be sent to Phillips Exeter Academy, Thomas W. Kiger ’51 Scholarship Fund, 20 Main Street, Exeter, New Hampshire, 03833.

Richard Spencer ’55, on February 24, 2012. The Corvallis, Oregon, journalist was eighty.

Richard joined Alpha Delta Phi.

He started a career in journalism in the Chicago bureau of United Press International, assigned to the police beat. He later worked at newspapers in LaSalle-Peru and Aurora, Illinois. He joined the Oakland (California) Tribune in 1964 and worked at the paper for twenty-five years, covering Bay Area politics, courts, and crime. He also wrote feature stories and articles on cultural change.

He and his wife of thirty-nine years, Tove Tveitnes Spencer, retired to Corvallis, where they were advocates for animal rescue and adoption agencies. He was an avid collector of jazz recordings and donated his collection to Stanford University. Richard also collected mining maps and railroad maps and timetables. He had a keen interest in the history of the West and ghost towns. And Richard had an affection for sports cars.

He was survived by his wife. Contributions in his name may be sent to the Heartland Humane Society, 398 Southwest Twin Oaks Circle, Corvallis, Oregon, 97333.

William C. “Bill” Wendt ’55, on March 6, 2012, after a struggle with chronic illness. He lived in Fernandina Beach, Florida, and was seventy-six.

Bill was a drama major. He joined Delta Tau Delta. He served in the U.S. Air Force.

He worked as an actor, magazine writer, marketing consultant, television commercial producer, and bar manager and bartender. Bill lived for many years in Manchester-by-the-Sea, Massachusetts, and in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands.

His first wife, Ellen, died in 1973. He was survived by Linda, his wife of thirty-five years; daughters Laura, Emily, and Leah; five grandchildren; and sister, Christine Wendt.

Harold “Hal” Hulen 1956, on March 11, 2012. The Kansas City, Missouri, man died in Tucson, Arizona, at seventy-nine.

Hal served in the U.S. Army. He graduated from the University of Missouri in 1958.

 He enjoyed a forty-five-year career in residential real estate sales in Missouri and Kansas. Family members said Hal “left behind an unforgettable legacy of laughter, compassion, determination, and generosity.” In a 1990 story in the Kansas City (Missouri) Star, Hal was called the “maven of Mission Hills,” after a wealthy suburb in which he dominated real estate sales. The newspaper called him irreverent and “breathlessly chatty.” Explaining his motivation as a top real estate broker, Hal said, “I’m in it for ego,” with a passion to be “No. 1.”

He was survived by Virginia, his wife of fifty-four years; daughters Sarah Brown and Juliette Johnson; son, Clay Hulen; five granddaughters; and sister, Donna Thompson.

Robert E. “Bob” Anderson ’57, on April 26, 2012. The Newbury, Massachusetts, man was seventy-seven.

Bob was a biology major. He played Lords football and lacrosse and joined Delta Tau Delta and the Kenyon Klan. He was president of the sophomore class.

He enjoyed a career as a science teacher and coach at Governor Dummer Academy, now known as the Governor’s Academy, in Byfield, Massachusetts. Bob was known to be highly organized and dedicated to his students and the school. He served as athletic director from 1972-91 and helped establish the women’s athletic program. And he coached football and lacrosse. The 1968 football team was undefeated.

At his retirement, in 1996, former student Michael Mulligan said that Bob was “the single most important classroom teacher I ever had. He made me learn how to learn by holding me accountable for details. Bob demanded a true command of the material. As a result, I learned how to study and it made all the difference in my life.”

His wife, Sally, in a letter to the College, said that Bob “often talked to me about his life, sports, and the wonderful education he received at Kenyon.” She added, “His heart was there big time.” In a 1982 note to the College, Bob wrote, “Kenyon … prepared me to handle new and difficult problems with a broad background and a way to search out answers.”

Bob was survived by Sally, his wife of thirty-five years; son, Scott Anderson; daughter, Deborah Dalton; four grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; and his former wife, Lois Anderson. Gifts in his name may be sent to the Governor’s Academy, Department of Athletics, 1 Elm Street, Byfield, Massachusetts, 01922.

Ralph D. “Tex” Copeland ’59, on April 15, 2012. The San Antonio, Texas, man was seventy-five.

Tex was a biology major. He joined Delta Tau Delta, the Flying Club, and the debate team. He enlisted in the U.S. Army and began a writing career as an information specialist.

He spent three years as the public information officer for the American Red Cross in Europe. He later worked variously as creative director, senior writer, senior editor, and speechwriter for companies including Piper Aircraft, Fisher Scientific Instruments, and PGC Inc. He went on to manage a family broadcasting business. Tex educated himself on aspects of the oil industry in Texas and taught seminars on mineral rights and oil ownership.

Tex learned to fly as a teenager and earned a commercial license by the time he was eighteen. He flew both privately and commercially for many years, working as a flight instructor and charter pilot. And he was a voracious reader who collected a personal library of thousands of books, reflecting his many interests. Tex never hesitated to write to authors to correct inaccuracies or acknowledge obscure details.

He was described as “a true eccentric … an unfailing gentleman and an enthusiastic epicurean.”

Tex was survived by his brother, Richard Copeland, and sister, Gayle Copeland. Gifts in his memory may be sent to the San Antonio Food Bank, 5200 Old Highway 90, West San Antonio, Texas, 78227.

J. Lawrence “Larry” Dressor ’60, in January 2012. The Tacoma, Washington, man was seventy-three.

Larry was an economics major. He played Lords basketball, football, and lacrosse. He joined Middle Kenyon Association. Larry earned a master’s in business administration at Eastern Washington University in 1974. He served in the U.S. Air Force.

 He started his career in life insurance sales and later became an instructor at Fort Steilacoom Community College. He then taught business marketing and management at Pierce College.

Larry was survived by his wife, Lee.

Benjamin E. Burnett ’63, on May 29, 2012. The Richmond, Virginia, resident was seventy.

Benjamin was a philosophy major. He was part of the Lords track team and joined Beta Theta Pi. He earned a master’s in business administration at Indiana University.

He worked as a systems analyst for J.C. Penney Co. in New York City and then moved to Virginia to work for Montgomery Ward. He later opened a hardware store in Mechanicsville, Virginia, which was a successful venture through its sale by Benjamin in 1982. He started a career in commercial real estate.

He enjoyed travel, sailing, investing, golf, and baking bread.

Benjamin was survived by his son, Matthew Burnett; daughter, Rachel Burnett; two granddaughters; and brother, Bill Burnett.

F. William “Bill” Kuehl ’63, on July 20, 2010. He was sixty-eight and had lived in St. Louis.

Bill was an economics major. He played Lords basketball and joined Beta Theta Pi.

He became a financial consultant. Bill was described as possessing a “special quality of wonderment about life,” with a radiant smile and upbeat personality.

He was survived by his wife, Cara, and children Daniel, KC, and Annie.

Everett H. Moffat ’65, on March 12, 2012. The Chicago man was sixty-eight.

Everett was a political science major. He joined Sigma Pi. He attended John Marshall Law School.

He taught mathematics at the high school and junior high school level and coached the Stock Club at Sunnyside Junior High School in Berkley, Illinois. He also worked as an options and commodities trader. He was co-founder of the Heartland Institute. He played piano, bridge, and Scrabble.

James W. “Jim” Jarrett ’66, on February 22, 2012, while climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania. The Palo Alto, California, resident was sixty-seven.

Jim was a history major. He played Lords basketball and joined Sigma Pi. He was a founding member of the Chasers. He was president of the Student Council and a member of the Campus Senate. He served in the U.S. Army from 1967-69 and was stationed at the U.S. Military Academy.

 Jim joined Ruder Finn, a public relations firm in New York City, and eventually transferred to the San Francisco office. He joined Intel in 1979 as the first manager of corporate communications and later became vice president of investor relations. He worked as president of Intel China from 1996-2000 and, while there, he was named a governor of the American Chamber of Commerce, became a member of the U.S. Information Technology Office board of directors, and was named chairman of the China Chapter of the Semiconductor Industry Association. Jim later became Intel’s first vice president of global public policy. He also testified before the U.S. Congress on the importance of improving American science and technology education. He retired from Intel in 2008. He was also a communications consultant.

“Jim was an amazing and important part of who we are today as a company,” said Paul Otellini, chief executive officer at Intel, in comments in a corporate newsletter. Former Intel CEO Andy Grove said Jim’s contributions as a strategic advisor showed “unquestionable integrity and unquestionable selflessness.”

Jim embarked on the 19,300-foot climb of Mount Kilimanjaro with a friend. He reached an altitude of about 18,700 feet and camped there, family members said. He started an early morning climb to the summit when he staggered and returned with guides to the camp where oxygen was available. An American physician and a trauma nurse from Poland on the trip tried emergency life support, but Jim died before a rescue helicopter could reach him. A journal that Jim kept on the trip showed him to be in good spirits and he remarked on the pleasure he took in a mountain-side birthday celebration for one of the climbers. He had also noted the dangerous conditions and difficulty of the climb.

In a note to the College, Jim’s wife, Laurie, said, “Jim so enjoyed his ‘Kenyon days’ and liked supporting the College over the years.” Jim was president of the San Francisco Bay Area Alumni Association from 1980-82.

Jim was involved in civic affairs and, in particular, worked with Abilities United, an organization that champions people with developmental and physical challenges. He was an avid photographer and enjoyed cycling, hiking, music, and travel.

He was survived by his wife of forty-three years; daughters Tracey, Alison, and Lindsay; and brother, John Jarrett. Gifts in his memory may be sent to Abilities United, 3864 Middlefield Road, Palo Alto, California, 94303, or Kenyon College, Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Scott A. Jarrett ’92 wrote the following memorial tribute to his uncle:
When I was a senior in high school my uncle, James W. Jarrett ’66, wrote me a wonderful letter encouraging me to strongly consider Kenyon. In it he painted a Gambier picture that remains vivid to this day: a congregation of Knox County residents—students and professors, yes, but also farmers and townspeople, all enthusiastically chipping in to help lift books up to the upper floors of the new library. Thanks to his letter I could picture him and the other students, the farmers of Knox County, the professors, the security guards, maybe even Dorothy Dean from the renowned Dorothy’s Lunch, loading books into the front of tractors in order to raise them up, literally and figuratively, I guess you might say.

I was sold.

My uncle died of natural causes while climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania in February. It had been a trip that he spoke glowingly of when I saw him last November. He was a great hero of mine and I will miss him tremendously.  I loved to talk Kenyon with Uncle Jim, who certainly loved Kenyon and absolutely loved his time there.

Uncle Jim served as president of the Student Council during his senior year, and over the years told me many a funny tale. For example, there was the story of an open well situated in the middle of Wiggin Street, a convenient place for Kenyon men to spit in so as to acquire good luck en route to a big exam. Somehow, though, in an unfortunate and regrettable oversight, the village dared to cover the hole. In the night, however, a student simply righted the wrong by setting off some sort of small explosive, I believe. The village then paved over it again. Of course, someone blew it up again. At last, in one of his proudest moments in Uncle Jim’s elected capacity, student government came to the rescue and negotiated a brass plate marking the Philander Chase Well. It can be seen to this day as one crosses over Middle Path and Wiggin Street.

Classmate and roommate Jake Rohrer ’66 laughed as he recalled the 1965-66 school year. “He led the Council in addressing such important topics as whether or not there should be a stop sign in Gambier. He lost that one. And should the College admit women. He won that one!”

Jake and Uncle Jim joined the College choir. “I’m not sure who convinced us to do that as neither one of us were particularly great singers,” recalled Jake. “It was, however, the only way to get breakfast on a Sunday morning because there was no breakfast in Peirce Hall on Sundays. So we ate in the choir room of the Church of the Holy Spirit and then went upstairs to sing during the normal Sunday service.”

Both were founding members of the Chasers, an a cappella group that endures. Jim played basketball at Kenyon and teamed up with other students to offer “Ken Kakes,” a birthday cake service for Kenyon students. At his memorial service I discovered a carefully-kept scrapbook assembled by my grandmother, Jim’s mother, Regina. Included in it was a copy of a letter that he and Jerry Reynolds ’66 sent to Kenyon parents. It said, “Shorten the distance and brighten his day with a freshly-baked, delicious cake. $3 for an 8-inch, two-layer cake, birthday greetings, along with a chorus of Happy Birthday to a surprised and happy young man.”

Jake and Uncle Jim were also history majors. “We learned to think and write,” Jake said. “Our experience at Kenyon was both memorable and enriched our lives going forward. We made life-long friends—particularly each other—and forever held a special place in our hearts for our lives on the Hill in Gambier.”
Uncle Jim managed the Ruder Finn public relations office in San Francisco for a time. He interviewed with Steve Jobs, who told him (to his delight) that he was “too corporate,” but he offered him a job nonetheless. Instead of taking a job with Apple, in 1979 he joined Intel as the company’s first manager of corporate communications, compiling some of Intel’s earliest investor reports at his kitchen table in Palo Alto.

Uncle Jim retired from Intel in 2008 but continued to work closely with friend and former Intel CEO Andy Grove and his foundation. Grove said that Jim was instrumental in helping the company apologize for a 1994 Pentium chip flaw, helping him “hit a note that didn’t sound like I had a gun in my back.”

I always appreciated what a great listener my uncle was—a skill that I’m sure led to his great success in business and life. When he spoke at his father’s funeral he thanked my grandfather for “teaching him how to be a gentleman.” I’m pleased to say that I can thank my Uncle Jim for the same lesson.

Timothy A. Yerian ’69, on February 27, 2012. The Cincinnati resident was sixty-four.

Timothy was an English major. He became a high school teacher in Connecticut and moved on to teach the visually impaired in Cincinnati.

Timothy was survived by ­brothers Stephen C. Yerian ’72 and Michael Yerian.

Richard A. “Dick” Gyory ’70, on February 25, 2012, of complications from multiple sclerosis. The Wilton, Maine, resident was sixty-four.

Dick was a philosophy and psychology major. He was a Lords swimmer and played Lords football and lacrosse. He earned a master’s at California State College in 1976 and a doctorate at the University of Bombay. He played football at California State and played rugby on the India national rugby team.

He enjoyed a global career. He served on the Indian Council for Cultural Relations and joined the faculty at Kabul University in Afghanistan. Dick arrived in Maine in 1984 for a job as executive director of Western Maine Community Action. He later became director of the International Medical Corps in Peshawar, Pakistan. He then returned to Maine as a manager with the Greater Rumford Alliance and the Children’s Trust Fund. Dick also established a consulting company.

In a 1990 story in the Farmington (Maine) Chronicle, Dick was described as “a man with his heart in many worlds, but his energy in only one, that of helping the poor.” He told the newspaper, “No matter what you do, you have to strike a balance or an accord for a more profound sense of good.”

Symptoms of multiple sclerosis appeared about seventeen years before his death. Dick fought the disease with courage and grace. He is remembered as a consensus-builder who sought to help others reach their potential. Dick had a great sense of humor and love of life. His friend Bob McKenney of Wilton said in a note to the College, “He was a very intelligent man who did, indeed, seek and accomplish the ‘Middle Road’ metaphor. He has many friends who loved and respected this insightful man.”

The Rudyard Kipling poem If was read at his memorial service.

Dick was survived by his wife, April Guagenti; sister, Carol Fitzsimmons; and stepmother, Eleanor Gyory. Gifts in his memory may be sent to Western Maine Community Action, 20-A Church Street, P.O. Box 200, East Wilton, Maine, 04234, or Rural Community Action Ministry, RR 1, Box 2900, Leeds, Maine, 04263.

Robert G. “Bob” Oneglia 1970, on January 10, 2012, after a short illness. He was sixty-three and lived in Torrington, Connecticut.

Bob was part of the Kenyon golf team. He graduated from Union College with a degree in psychology.

He was a principal in O&G Industries, a family-owned business and one of the largest construction materials and services companies in the Northeast. Bob, grandson of company founder Andrew Oneglia, joined the company in 1970. Bob founded the Earth Products wing of the company in 1991 and expanded masonry operations.

“Bob was my cousin, my partner, my friend,” company president David Oneglia told the Litchfield County Times. “He will be missed by all … who had the good fortune of working with him over the past forty years.” Company vice president Bill Stanley said Bob “embodied the ideals of fair play and hard work.”

“Bob was larger than life,” friend Larry Bell told the newspaper. “He was a passionate and compassionate man who embraced life. He was generous and kind and had a great sense of humor.”

Edward C. “Ned” Geiger ’72, on March 20, 2012, suddenly, at home in Norfolk, Virginia. He was sixty-two.

Ned was an English major. He joined Alpha Delta Phi. He also graduated from the Naval War College. He served in the U.S. Navy for thirty years, retiring as a captain in 2002.

After his military service, Ned joined the Engineering Services Network until his retirement in 2011. Family members said he was “at peace with his life.” He was described as a “good friend who could be relied upon in difficult times.”

He was survived by Cherie, his wife of thirty-four years, and son, Joshua Geiger. Donations in his memory may be sent to the Baldwin Fund of the Williams School, 419 Colonial Avenue, Norfolk, Virginia, 23507, or the VAW/VRC Memorial Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 15322, Norfolk, Virginia, 23511

Stephanie Bowman Rinka 1973, on October 18, 2011, of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. The Wilmington, North Carolina, woman was fifty-nine.

Stephanie was part of the first class of the Kenyon Coordinate College for Women. She was active in Kenyon theater.

She was survived by her husband, John Rinka ’70. The couple had four children.

Stafford D. Cyphers ’74, on May 2, 2012. The Braintree, Massachusetts, man was fifty-nine.

Stafford worked as a security officer in Boston.

He was survived by his stepmother, Alda Cyphers, and brother, Eric Cyphers. Donations in his name may be sent to two agencies that work with the homeless: Pine Street Inn, 444 Harrison Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts, 02118, and to Father Bill’s Place, 38 Broad Street, Quincy, Massachusetts, 02169.

Victor F. Dickens ’74, on March 3, 2012, after a long illness. The Decatur, Georgia, physician was fifty-nine.

Victor was a biology major. He was a member of the Black Student Union. He earned a medical degree at the University of North Carolina in 1978.

He practiced family medicine and then emergency medicine for more than twenty years in Ohio and Georgia. Victor was remembered as a “wise and caring person.” He loved electronics and deep-sea fishing.

Victor was survived by Judith, his wife of thirty-three years; daughter, Adrienne Dickens; two granddaughters; mother, Isabelle Dickens; brother, Thomas Dickens Jr.; and sisters Lillian Riddick and Jeanne Dickens.

Carlos  H. “Nick” Samson III ’74, on March 19 2012, in his sleep. The Wey­-
mouth, Massachusetts, man was sixty.

Nick was an English major. He joined Delta Kappa Epsilon. He earned a master’s in business administration at Boston University.

Nick worked for Boston Financial Data Services, starting after his graduation from Kenyon and continuing until his retirement as vice president in 2011. He was also a talented nature photographer and bird watcher. He had identified more than 2,000 bird species in North and South America and had recently traveled to Africa to pursue his goal of identifying 1,000 birds on that continent.

He was survived by his sister, Suzanne Samson, who, in a letter to the College, said that Nick’s photographs were magnificent. “He died at a happy and fulfilled time of his life,” she said.

James T. “Jim” Boswell ’75, on March 8, 2012, after an extended illness. The Murrayville, Georgia, man was fifty-eight.

Jim was a psychology major. He was on the Lords soccer and track teams.

He became a minister with the Jehovah’s Witnesses. In 1990, he helped organize the construction of a church building for his congregation in Winfield, West Virginia. With his wife, Marie, Jim helped with missionary work in Ecuador from 1994-97. In a 1980 letter to the College, Jim wrote, “One of the many wonderful truths found in the Bible is that most of the people who have died will be brought back to life to live forever on a paradise earth. Knowing and believing this can be a great comfort at the death of a loved one.”

Jim was a member of the Human Ecology Action League, an educational and support group for people with multiple chemical sensitivity and other environmental illnesses. He enjoyed travel, history, sports, karaoke, and bridge.

He was survived by his wife; son, Nathan Boswell; father, William O. Boswell Jr.; and brother, William O. Boswell III.

E. Mandell “Del” de Windt H ’79 P’75 GP ’12
, on April 4, 2012. The Stuart, Florida, man was ninety-one.

He rose from clerk to chairman and chief executive officer of the Eaton Corp., based in Cleveland, Ohio. Del spread the corporation’s operations around the globe and boosted sales to more than $3 billion per year, according to the Plain Dealer of Cleveland.

He helped found the Greater Cleveland Roundtable and Cleveland Tomorrow. He also chaired the Professional Golf Association Tour policy board and oversaw the rise of the Senior Tour and the all-exempt tour. He made fourteen holes in one, two after losing most of his eyesight.

Alexander M. Cutler, Eaton’s chairman and chief executive officer, called Del “an exceptional leader” and praised his “unwavering commitment to the community and civic causes.” Former U.S. Sen. and Ohio Governor George Voinovich called him “the pre-eminent role model for corporate leadership in Ohio and the U.S.”  

He led Eaton for seventeen years and turned it into what he called a “world company” and promoted world trade. By 1977, Eaton had grown to manufacturing plants in twenty-four countries.

Del’s many honors included the humanitarian award of the National Conference for Community and Justice and the highest award of the United Way of America. He was named a top executive by Industry Week and a Wall Street Journal-Gallup poll.

He attended Williams College, where he was class president and played football and hockey. After two years of college, he joined Eaton as a production clerk. His first job was at the Battle Creek, Michigan, engine valve plant, and he was transferred to the Cleveland headquarters in 1944. He wrote the company’s first personnel manual and developed a plan to rehire servicemen after World War II.

After several assignments in personnel and operations, he was elected vice president of sales in 1959 and became group vice president in 1964. In 1967 he was named executive vice president of operations and later that year was elected president. He became chairman and CEO in 1969.

Under his direction, the company, then known as Eaton Yale & Towne Inc., became a highly diversified global company. The name was shortened to Eaton Corporation in 1971. He retired from Eaton in 1986.

Del’s first wife, Betsy, died in 1987. He was survived by his wife, Mary; children Pamela Burke, Delano de Windt II, Dana de Windt, Elizabeth D. Kelly ’75 P ’12, and E. M. de Windt Jr.; thirteen grandchildren, including Ann C. Kelly ’12; and eight great-grandchildren. Virginia-Marie Davlin ’82 is the daughter of Mary de Windt. Gifts in his name may be sent to the Betsy de Windt Cancer Research Laboratories, c/o Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center, P.O. Box 931517, Cleveland, Ohio, 44101, or First Tee of Cleveland, 3841 Washington Park Boulevard, Newburgh Heights, Ohio, 44105.

Robert Gunther-Mohr ’80, on March 16, 2012, of leukemia. The East Dover, Vermont, educator was fifty-three.

Robert was a psychology major. He worked on the Collegian staff. He earned a master’s in education at Harvard University.

Robert taught at Landmark College for more than twenty years. He served on the Newfane (Vermont) Central School District Board of Education. He enjoyed books, jazz, woodworking, playing Frisbee, cross-country skiing, and mountain biking. Robert was a fan of the New York Knicks.

In an online journal, he explained that he was diagnosed with acute myelogenous leukemia in 2009 and received bone marrow transplants in 2010. His family said that Robert lived his life with leukemia “as he had lived the better part of his life, with openness to the lessons it held for him … and valor.”

He was survived by Susan, his wife of thirty-two years; daughters Eliza and Phoebe; parents Bob and Lee Gunther-Mohr; sister, Carol Gunther-Mohr; and brother, John Gunther-Mohr.

David B. Niehous ’82, on February 15, 2012. The Toledo, Ohio, man was fifty-two.

David was an English major. He played Lords soccer. He earned a master’s degree in international business at the Thunderbird School of Global Management in 1983.

He enjoyed a career in international business and spoke four languages. He was vice president of operations at Airco Company’s Eastapac division in Concord, California, in the 1990s. David was a competitive skier, golfer, and tennis player. He loved to read. David was also witty and known as a great mimic.

David was survived by his parents, Bill and Donna Niehous, and brothers Mark Niehous and Craig Niehous. Donations in his memory may be sent to the Toledo Area Humane Society, 1920 Indian Wood Circle, Maumee, Ohio, 43537, or Corpus Christi Church, 2955 Dorr Street, Toledo, Ohio, 43607.

John P. Curtin ’89, on April 26, 2012, of complications from melanoma. The Chicago man was forty-four.

John was an English major. He was a diver on the Lords swimming and diving team and joined Delta Tau Delta. He earned a master’s degree at the University of Chicago.

John taught high school English in Chicago. He later became a VISTA volunteer and worked as a bicycle tour guide. He delivered meals to AIDS sufferers. He enjoyed travel, bicycling, and hiking.

He was injured in an accident and became a quadriplegic, living in Seattle. John returned to Chicago and became an online writing teacher through DePaul University. He lived an active intellectual life, read voraciously, corresponded with friends, and enjoyed art, film, and music.

He was survived by his mother, Agnes Curtin; sister, Mary Pat Wahlgren; and brother, Paul Curtin. Gifts in his memory may be sent to Northwestern Memorial Foundation Patient and Family Assistance Fund, Galter Pavilion, Suite 3-200, 2541 East Huron Street, Chicago, Illinois, 60611.

Albert M. Higley Jr. P ’78 GP ’12, on July 3, 2012. The Bainbridge Township, Ohio, resident was eighty-four.

Albert was a generous donor to Kenyon. The former Biology Building was named Higley Hall in 1997 in recognition of the $3 million donation from Albert and his wife, Beverly, to science programs. He was the retired chairman and chief executive of the Albert Higley Co., which served as the construction management team on a number of Kenyon buildings in recent years.  

Albert followed his father as chair of one of Cleveland’s biggest construction companies, according to the Plain Dealer of Cleveland. In addition to work at Kenyon, the Higley Co. oversaw work on many buildings for Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland State University, sports teams, and hospitals, among others.

“I remember his commitment to doing things right, on the business side, the people side, or for the community,” Don Harley, senior superintendent of the Higley Co., told the Plain Dealer. “He would always come out to projects, often after hours. You’d get a call the next morning with something you’d overlooked. ‘We don’t do it that way.’”

He graduated from Denison University and the Cornell University business school. He saw combat in the Korean War as a corporal in the U.S. Army. In 1954, he joined his father’s company. He rose to vice president in 1965 and chairman and chief executive in 1971. During his years, the company ranked among the top 400 contractors nationally and finished more than 2,500 projects in northern or central Ohio. He retired in 1998.

Albert chaired the Ohio Motorists Association and served on many other civic and corporate boards. He created a family fund at the Cleveland Foundation that has given more than $5 million to local causes.

He was survived by his wife; daughter, Sharon Higley Watts ’78 P ’12, who is married to Gregory A. Watts ’78 P ’12; sons Bruce G. Higley and Brian M. Higley; and seven grandchildren, including Carolyn G. Watts ’12. Gifts in his name may be sent to the American Red Cross of Greater Cleveland, 3747 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44115, or Geauga Humane Society, 15463 Chillicothe Road, Novelty, Ohio, 44072.

Doris Jean Dilts, a mainstay at the Kenyon Review for more than fifteen years, died on July 10, 2012. The Mount Vernon, Ohio, woman was eighty.

Religion was “No. 1” to Doris Jean, her son Eric Dilts said, and that formed her life’s foundation. She was the mother of five children and was active in her community.

Doris Jean joined the Kenyon Review in 1991 as an editorial assistant and retired in 2006 as operations coordinator at the international literary journal. “Several generations of Kenyon students, especially Kenyon Review associates, looked to her for steadiness, compassion, advice,” said David H. Lynn, the David F. Banks Editor of the Kenyon Review and professor of English. “She was a woman of few words and powerful beliefs, and we all felt better for being part of her world, for her being part of ours.”

“She liked being in control,” Eric Dilts said.

She was part of the Pioneer Class, the first graduating class, at Mount Vernon Nazarene University, in 1968. She earned an associate degree in 1970 and went on to earn a bachelor’s degree, both summa cum laude.

Doris Jean, a longtime Fredericktown resident, was a past member of Ohio Designer Craftsmen and the Ohio Arts and Crafts Guild. She had been secretary-treasurer of the Dilts Lumber Company, which Eric Dilts described as a portable saw mill operated by his father, the late Glenn R. Dilts. Glenn Dilts was a woodworker known for making rocking horses. They had been married for forty-three years.

Doris Jean was a member of the Mount Vernon Jubilee Foursquare Church and had served there variously as a teacher, council member, and hospitality chairwoman. She was a member of the Knox County Renaissance Foundation, Knox County Farm Bureau, Phi Delta Lambda Academic Honor Society, and the Knox County Symphony board. She was also an award-winning member of the Mount Vernon Toastmasters.

She was survived by her daughter, Glenda Dilts; sons Ralph Dilts, Phillip Dilts, Eric Dilts, and John Dilts; several grandchildren; a great-granddaughter; brother, Jerry Semler; and sister, Thelma Barberree. Eric Dilts is married to Lisa L. Dilts, administrative assistant and technician in the Department of Studio Art. Gifts in Doris Jean’s name may be made to the Doris Jean Dilts Scholarship Fund and deposited at any branch of First Knox National Bank.

Laddie Hurt, at one time a familiar and friendly voice at the other end of the telephone at Kenyon, died on April 4, 2012. The resident of Mount Vernon had marked her seventy-second birthday on April 2.

Laddie worked at Kenyon for more than twenty years, starting on June 18, 1979, as deputy director for telecommunications. She retired on October 29, 1999, as assistant director of telecommunications operations. Laddie supervised the switchboard operators among other duties, including handling the office billing.

“She was wonderful,” Campus Safety Officer Deborah S. Shelhorn said. “She always had a smile on her face. She had the biggest heart of anybody I have known. She had three boys that she adored. Her lifelong dream was to retire and go to Florida in the winter, and she was able to do that.”

Laddie was fond of working in needlepoint and crocheting. She was a ceramics teacher. Laddie also enjoyed growing orchids, playing cards, and traveling.

Laddie is survived by her husband, Clifford Hurt; sons Phil Hurt, Harry Hurt, and Allen Hurt; five grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to Hospice of Knox County, 17700 Coshocton Road, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050.

Back to Top DeliciousFacebook FacebookStumbleUpon StumbleUponDigg Diggreddit reddit