John K. Murdoch '31, on July 27, 1995. The La Grange, Illinois, resident was eighty-seven.

John majored in economics and was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon.

He worked as an office manager at Brunner Booth Fotochrome Company and as an accountant for Electric Vehicle Associates, both in Cleveland, Ohio.

Douglas G. Meldrum '47, on March 12, 2009. The Laconia, New Hampshire, man was eighty-four.

Douglas was a member of Delta Tau Delta. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a radio operator in Italy during World War II.

He went on to a career in writing, editing, and public relations. Douglas was a medical writer for the Columbia University Medical Center, the managing editor of Modern Plastics and executive editor of Industrial Design magazines, and an account executive for a number of public relations agencies. He was an avid reader and writer.

Douglas was survived by his wife, Betty; step-daughters Wren Sooy and Robin Grant; and five grandchildren.

Arthur H. Seidel '48 P'84, of cancer, on May 29, 2009. The Grantham, New Hampshire, resident was eighty-three.

Arthur attended New York University before serving in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II. He transferred to Kenyon and became a philosophy and psychology major, graduating with honors. He was a member of Delta Phi.

He joined the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1952 as a special agent and worked at the agency for ten years. Arthur then earned a master's in business administration at New York University. He went to work for the General Foods Corporation in White Plains, New York, where he became the manager for financial planning, analysis, and control. He retired from General Foods in 1988 and worked for several years in real estate sales.

Arthur was survived by his wife of fifty-three years, Ann; daughter, Pamela Severson; son, Jeffrey Seidel '84; and four grandchildren. Gifts in his memory may be sent to Lake Sunapee Region Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice, P.O. Box 2209, New London, New Hampshire 03257.

William H. Shriber '49, on March 26, 2009. The South Bend, Indiana, man was eighty-two.

William was a biology major and a member of Sigma Pi and Peeps. He served in the U.S. Army in the Pacific Theater during World War II. He later earned his medical degree at the Ohio State University College of Medicine.

He was an obstetrician and gynecologist and served an internship and residency at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit. He then practiced at the South Bend Clinic, St. Joseph Regional Medical Center, and Memorial Hospital for thirty-two years. William continued his medical education in retirement with the Retired Doctors Group. He became a volunteer at St. Joseph and with the local Meals on Wheels program.

One of his great interests was the stock market, and he was a member of the National Association Investment Club and the American Association Investment Club.

William was survived by his wife of fifty-seven years, Rena; daughter, Alida Shriber; son, Gregg Shriber; and two grandsons. Contributions in his memory may be sent to the Foundation of SJRMC -Auxiliary, 4215 ­Edison Lakes Parkway, Suite 300, Mishawaka, Indiana 46545; Real Services Meals on Wheels, 1151 S. Michigan Street, South Bend, Indiana 46634; and the Center for Hospice and Palliative Care, 111 Sunnybrook Court, South Bend, Indiana 46637.

David F. Andrews '50, on May 5, 2009. The Lewiston, Idaho, resident was eighty-four.

David was a member of Delta Tau Delta. He arrived at Kenyon after serving in the U.S. Army during World War II with the 14th Armored Division in France, Germany, and Czechoslovakia, and later as a military police officer in New Orleans. He had also worked in a sporting-goods store in Shaker Heights, Ohio, selling firearms, which gave him a career focus.

He transferred to Arizona State College, graduating in 1951. He became a sales representative for Remington Arms, covering the southwest United States before moving to San Francisco. David was a marksman who competed in rifle and pistol matches. He later took a job with Micro Sight, a sporting-goods wholesaler in Belmont, California, and then with Speer Products in Idaho. At Speer, he was the editor of Speer Manuals and director of research and ballistics. He also worked for CCI and Omark.

David retired in 1987 but stayed busy in the firearms industry, including as a safety inspector at Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute trade shows, technical advisor for the Association of Firearm and Toolmark Examiners, and contributing editor to American Rifleman. He was also a consultant to law-enforcement organizations on technical issues related to ammunition.

The outdoorsman loved hunting and fishing. David was an avid collector of cartridges, coins, and stamps and traveled around the world to attend trade and collector shows.

His wife of thirty-five years, Ida Mary, died in 1985. David later rekindled a friendship with Dorothy Ross of Shaker Heights, and they enjoyed a relationship of seventeen years together and at long distance, marrying in 1993.

David was survived by his daughter, Chris Boyer; son, Bill Andrews; sister, Phoebe Therrien; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Donations in his memory may be sent to Lewiston Library Foundation, P.O. Box 1055, Lewiston, Idaho 83501.

John R. McNaughton Jr. '50, on March 23, 2009. The Nashville, Tennessee, resident was eighty-two.

Before attending Kenyon, John served in the U.S. Army for eighteen months in the European Theater during World War II. At Kenyon, he majored in German and was a member of Delta Phi.

John was co-owner of the McNaughton/McKay Electric Company in Madison Heights, Michigan, where he started his career in sales.

He was survived by daughters Carol Beebe and Krysta Giacobone; son, John R. McNaughton III; and three grandchildren. Gifts in his memory may be sent to the Alzheimer's Association, 225 North Michigan Avenue, Floor 17, Chicago, Illinois 60601, or the Hole in the Wall Gang, 555 Long Wharf Drive, New Haven, Connecticut 06511.

Ira Miller '51, on March 31, 2009, after battling prostate cancer. The Bethesda, Maryland, resident was seventy-eight.

Ira attended Kenyon for two years and then transferred to Columbia University and graduated in 1951. He earned a medical degree from the University of Buffalo in 1956.

He became a general surgeon who had a practice in Bethesda for thirty-three years. At various times he served as the chairman of the surgery department and chairman of the medical staff at Suburban Hospital. After he retired in 1997, Ira earned a master's degree in classics at St. John's College and became an instructor of Greek history and literature in the adult education program at Johns Hopkins University.

Ira was survived by his wife of forty-one years, Barbara; son, Benjamin Miller; and a sister. He had survived the deaths of two children, Amy and David Miller.

Thomas P. Metcalf '55, on May 29, 2009, after an extended illness. The Mount Vernon, Ohio, resident was seventy-seven.

Tom was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma. He had transferred to Kenyon after attending Ohio State University.

He overcame serious injuries suffered in a 1952 traffic accident as a teenager and became a community leader in Mount Vernon. As a result of the accident, his leg was amputated in 1957, but Tom went on to water ski and dance.

Tom worked as a teenager in the family business, Metcalf Motors, in Mount Vernon. After Kenyon, he worked in the insurance business and for the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, where he was the 1983 employee of the year. He also managed the Alcove restaurant in downtown Mount Vernon for many years and became an advocate for a strong downtown business community. He was most noted for his dedication to the Alcove, where he brought a hands-on approach to management and engaged in lively conversation with patrons.

"If you wanted someone to tell you the truth about your ideas, and to always have the best interests of your city at heart, Tom Metcalf was your guy," Mount Vernon Mayor Richard Mavis told the Columbus (Ohio) Dispatch. "We all thought Tom would just keep on going forever. We will surely miss him."

The Dispatch said Tom was a vital part of the Heritage Centre Association, which supports Mount Vernon downtown activities and redevelopment. He played key roles in the development of the Dan Emmett Conference Center and the preservation of the Woodward Opera House. Tom was also involved with the Knox County Convention and Visitors Bureau, the Central Ohio Restaurant Association, the Woodward Opera House Development Corporation, the Dan Emmett Festival Committee, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Mount Vernon Developmental Center.

Boating and listening to music were among his favorite activities.

Tom was survived by his children, Kimberly Brady, Thomas P. Metcalf Jr., Stephanie Langley, and Richard Langley; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Paul B. Belin '56, on April 30, 2009. The Union Dale, Pennsylvania, man was seventy-six.

Paul was an economics major and a member of Psi Upsilon.

He worked in the field of chemical-dependence recovery for more than thirty years and was a mentor to many people recovering from addictions. He was a counselor and admissions director at Marworth Treatment Center in Waverly, Pennsylvania, and at Clearbrook Treatment Centers in northeastern Pennsylvania. Earlier in life, Paul raised and trained horses in Pennsylvania.

Paul was survived by his brother, Henry Belin IV, and sister, Alice Fish. Memorial contributions may be sent to Clearbrook Treatment Centers, 1003 Wyoming Avenue, Forty Fort, Pennsylvania 18704.

Carl W. Armstrong '71 P'99, on March 5, 2009. The fifty-nine-year-old Richmond, Virginia, physician had fought cancer for seven years.

Carl was a biology major. He graduated from the Case Western Reserve School of Medicine in 1975 and received training in internal medicine at Tufts New England Medical Center. He became a leader in the field of public health.

Carl began his career as an epidemic intelligence service officer for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assigned to the Virginia Department of Health, where he later became director of health hazards control. He went on to become a local health director for the Piedmont Health District, senior medical advisor for the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association, and director of the Office of Epidemiology at the Virginia health department.

Carl competed in triathlons and was a member of the Richmond Area Bicycling Association. He and his wife of thirty-five years, Barbara, enjoyed riding the tandem bicycle they named Blazing Saddles.

In addition to his wife, Carl was survived by daughters Charis Lyon and Amelia Weinman '99; son, Matthew Armstrong; father, John Armstrong; and brother, Alan Armstrong. Contributions in Carl's memory may be sent to the Chris Desch Foundation, P.O. Box 8467, Richmond, Virginia 23226.

Mike Langstrom '71, on March 7, 2009, of pancreatic cancer. The Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, resident was fifty-nine.

Mike majored in French and graduated with honors. He was a member of Alpha Sigma Chi and the Chase Society. He earned a master's degree in management at Oakland University in 1975.

Mike and his wife, Beverly Olsen Langstrom '73, were married at the Church of the Holy Spirit and enjoyed a reception at Peirce Hall in 1976.

Mike worked at the American Motors Corporation in Michigan as an employee-benefits analyst before taking a job as corporate benefits administrator at Volkswagen of America. At Volkswagen, where he was known fondly for his Hawaiian shirts, Mike was general manager of human resources and director of human resources. He retired from Volkswagen in 2007.

He was an active and generous alumnus, serving as the Detroit chairman for alumni admissions, co-chair of the reunion planning committee, and volunteer for Kenyon Fund events.

In addition to his wife, Mike was survived by his mother, Josephine, and his sister, Susan.

Beverly invites all returning alumni to sit for a moment on the bench that bears their names in front of the chapel along Middle Path and then "go forth and seize the day!"

Paul J. Dellasega '73, on June 2, 2009, after a fall at home. The Hershey, Pennsylvania, resident was fifty-seven.

Paul was a political science major and president of Delta Phi. He went on to earn a law degree at Dickinson School of Law. He became a partner in the law firm Thomas, Thomas & Hafer and chaired the employment law section.

Paul was survived by his wife of twenty-six years, Cheryl; daughter, Ellen Dellasega; son, Joe Dellasega; stepson, Matthew Thorn; brothers Philip Dellasega and Stephen Dellasega; a granddaughter, and a step-granddaughter. Donations may be sent to Downtown Daily Bread, 10 North Third Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania 17101.

Gordon B. Buell '81, on June 3, 2009. The Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania, resident was forty-nine.

Gordon was a history major. He played lacrosse and was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon. After earning a master's degree in architecture from Drexel University, he became a self-employed architect and contractor. Gordon was an avid fly fisherman.

Gordon was survived by his wife, Susan; children Jack and Sarah Buell; and parents Duncan and Sally Buell. Memorial contributions may be sent to Bryn Mawr Hospital, 130 South Bryn Mawr Avenue, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania 19010.

James C. Higgins '81, of injuries suffered in an industrial accident, on April 13, 2009. The London, Ohio, resident was fifty-two.

Jim was an economics major. He was a veteran of the U.S. Merchant Marine.

After Kenyon, Jim worked in the restaurant business and in financial services before returning to the family farm near Lafayette, Ohio, in 1985. With his brother Bob, Jim grew soybeans, corn, and wheat. He later joined Oracle Elevator as an elevator technician. He was killed while working on an elevator in Columbus, Ohio, in what was once a high-rise hotel being converted into a residence hall by Ohio State University.

Jim served as the financial director of the Noor Islamic Cultural Center in Dublin, Ohio. He was also a Kenyon Fund Phonathon volunteer.

Jim was survived by his wife, Nadia; children Joseph and Yasmine Higgins; brothers Dan Higgins, John Higgins, Bill Higgins, and Bob Higgins; and sisters Kathy Higgins-Luthman, Peg Beathard, Nancy Sachs, Janey Hodge, and Ruth Roddy. Donations in Mike's memory may be sent in the name of the Higgins children to ­Advantage Bank, 2 East High Street, London, Ohio 43140.

James M. Bauschatz '00, on March 13, 2009. The Willoughby, Ohio, man was thirty-two.

At Kenyon, James sang with the Kokosingers and provided the voice for Audrey II in the production of Little Shop of Horrors. He transferred to the University of Maine and graduated in 2003 with a major in elementary education.

James never complained about coping with a congenital heart defect, reduced lung capacity, and many surgeries. He was described by family and friends as a thoughtful and kind man with a wonderful sense of humor. He is well-remembered for his strong singing voice.

He enjoyed singing in barbershop quartets and was a member of the Society for the Preservation and Encouragement of Barbershop Quartet Singing in America. James participated in several Elyria (Ohio) Summer Theater and Silhouette Productions and was a member of the Cleveland-based Street Corner Singers. James was also an actor, appearing in several independent films, including Get Him, La Dolce Fajita, and The Red Lantern. He had background roles in the studio films Smart People and She's Out of My League. He was a member of the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists.

James was married for eight years to the former Joiel Davies '99. Their first date was dinner at the Gambier Deli on Valentine's Day in 1998. When Joiel told her roommates about the date, "we all spontaneously held hands and jumped around in a circle together, like a bunch of silly school girls." Their life together included two children and James became their devoted, stay-at-home dad.

"James's medical situation made us all more acutely aware that every moment we shared together was a miraculous gift," she said. "The amazing man, husband, father, brother, son, friend, and talent that he was, made everyone cherish their time with him even more. He was brave and … lived blissfully in the moments of every day.

"My heart never stopped jumping around in that silly, little circle. And it never will."

Scott Strickland '97 sang in the Kokosingers with James and recalled him as "a very special person-thoughtful, kind, and genuine." James had "a beautiful singing voice" and was at home on the stage. Another former Kokosinger, Dan Fishbach '98, said James was the group's strongest bass voice and performed a memorable solo on the Michael Jackson song Thriller. His audition for the group was also memorable, Fishbach said. "How could that huge, incredible voice come out of that small kid?" He added, "I shall always remember him as a kind, old soul with incredible talent."

James was also survived by his children Paul and Ava, parents Cathleen and Paul Bauschatz, and brother, John Bauschatz.

John B. Dempsey III P'83 '85, an emeritus trustee and part of a deeply rooted Kenyon family, died in a traffic accident in Onondaga County, New York, near Syracuse, on April 30, 2009.

John was driving to the sixty-fifth anniversary of the 1944 class of Westminster School in Simsbury, Connecticut, at the time of his death.

"He was an ambassador for Kenyon wherever he went," said his son James H. Dempsey III '83 of Rocky River, Ohio. "He had a thirst for life that was kind of unique. He was a lot of fun. He was very creative in terms of his business career."

John was a real estate development and management consultant who played a key role in prominent developments on both Florida coasts and in the Cleveland, Ohio, suburb of Bratenahl, where he made his primary retirement home. He had a keen interest in business ties between Canada and the U.S. and wrote a freelance column about Canadian affairs in the early 1950s for the Plain Dealer of Cleveland. The column evolved into the Dempsey Canadian Newsletter, a biweekly business newsletter he wrote and distributed to clients from 1952 to 1997.

The newsletter was informed by John's considerable contacts with Canadian politicians, business leaders, and news reporters, his son said. He ended the newsletter after the death of his wife, Marie (Gravel) Dempsey, in 1997. Mrs. Dempsey was a native of Montreal.

John became a management consultant in Montreal after graduation from Harvard University in 1947. In the 1960s he became president and then chairman of Bratenahl Development Corporation and headed a $30 million push for an apartment and condominium complex on Lake Erie in what was then a fading suburb with an elegant past. The project, Bratenahl Place, broke ground in 1965, revived the village, and boosted its revenue at a critical time, the Plain Dealer reported.

He later divided his time between Cleveland and Quebec Province. He formed the Canadian Enterprise Corporation He bought the historic Manoir Richelieu Hotel in Murray Bay, Quebec, in the early 1970s and sold it in 1976. He then moved to Vero Beach, Florida, where he helped develop the John's Island community.

As his career flourished, John cultivated the lively Dempsey family connection with ­Kenyon. His grandfather, James H. Dempsey '82, was a founder of the Squire Sanders & Dempsey law firm in Cleveland and became a Kenyon trustee in 1898. He was known to arrive in Gambier from Cleveland on horseback.

John's father, Ernest Dempsey, Class of '11, was also a lawyer in the Cleveland firm and joined the Board of Trustees in 1920, upon the death of James H. Dempsey. Ernest Dempsey was a trustee until 1966. Dempsey Hall was named in honor of James H. and Ernest Dempsey.

John, in turn, became a trustee in 1966 and continued in that role until 1985. He was well-tailored at all times, Kenyon Historian Tom Stamp said. "He was a really interesting man, a very nice man," Stamp added.

John sometimes brought his sons to Gambier when he attended trustee events. It was not surprising, then, that Richard B. Dempsey '85 followed his brother James to Kenyon. "He absolutely loved going down there," James Dempsey said. "He loved staying at the (Kenyon) inn. He was always interested in the academic side of things and in making sure the school was well-endowed. Kenyon is part of the fabric of our lives."

When James sorted through materials on a coffee table in his father's home, he found that most of the publications were Kenyon-related, including copies of the Alumni Bulletin. A photo of a group of Kenyon trustees was placed on the wall above his typewriter.

John had handed a Kenyon diploma to his granddaughter, Margo McKean '98. She fondly recalled her grandparents' visits to the College while she was a student. "I have so many wonderful memories of my years at Kenyon and some of the most treasured times were spent with my grandparents," she said.

John married again in 2000 and his second wife, Denise Hayman Dempsey, died a year later. He was survived by children Louise McKean of Gilford, New Hampshire; Ernest D. Dempsey of Montreal; Marie Carter of Richmond, Virginia; Gertrude McLean of Gilford, New Hampshire; James H. Dempsey III of Rocky River; and Richard B. Dempsey. He was the grandfather of fifteen and had one great-grandchild. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Office of the President of Kenyon College, 106 College Park Drive, Gambier, Ohio 43022.

Back to Top DeliciousFacebook FacebookStumbleUpon StumbleUponDigg Diggreddit reddit