Henry B. Wilcox '33, on August 18, 2008. The Cambridge, Ohio, resident was ninety-nine.

Henry was an economics major. He was a member of Alpha Delta Phi and was on the track team. He wrote the "1933 Fun Song," to the tune of "Yankee Doodle Dandy." The lyrics included: "Where's the start for all this singing? Guess it's old Philander Chase."

Henry had roots in the auto industry. His grandfather invented a steering gear for cars and founded a gear-production company that was later bought by General Motors. Henry worked in the auto industry for many years as a purchasing agent. He retired as vice president of the Leake Stamping Division of Monarch Products in Monroe, Michigan, and later founded the Melvin Products Company, which specialized in marketing products for the auto after-market, including a tool to remove metal clips in auto bodies. Henry founded the YMCA in Monroe.

Writing was a passion for Henry. He published Ninety-plus, a book of poetry, when he was ninety years old. He also wrote plays and television scripts. Of his book of poetry, he told the Marietta (Ohio) Leader, "It's random thoughts. It's not great poetry, but I think people will find it interesting."

In one of his later poems, he mused about a cat:

"He's seventeen, I'm ninety-two;
We're two old cats long overdue.
I'll break the ice, stroke him a bit,
Perhaps get scratched in doing it."

He survived three wives, Ella, Hortense, and Dorothy. He is survived by his son, Kirke Wilcox; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

William "Bill" W. Brehm 1938, on October 15, 2008. The resident of Fremont, Ohio, was ninety-one.

Bill was a member of Beta Theta Pi. He left Kenyon to attend the U.S. Naval Academy and graduated in 1939. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II and the Korean War, during which he attained the rank of captain. He was a naval aviator and earned two Distinguished Service Awards and the Distinguished Flying Cross three times. He was the Navy's first jet squadron leader. Bill later became an industrial engineer.

His sense of humor was evident in his celebration of only three seasons each year: strawberry, sweet corn, and football. Bill was an active volunteer and participated in the Boy Scouts. He enjoyed golf, music, and photography. Family and friends remember him as a warm gentleman.

Bill is survived by his children, William, James, and Alicia Brehm; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

James O. Suffron '38, of Orange, California, on June 25, 2008. He was ninety-one.

Jim was a mathematics major. He was a member of Delta Phi. After earning a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Southern California in 1940, Jim worked for a year at the Southern California Gas Company and then attended graduate school in meteorology at the University of Chicago. Jim joined the U.S. Army Air Forces and served from 1941-46, retiring as a major. He served as an Army meteorologist for three years in the India-Burma theater in World War II.

He later designed commercial refrigeration equipment and sold natural gas-related parts and equipment. For thirty years, Jim designed and tested aircraft air conditioning and anti-icing systems for the McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Company in Long Beach, California, where he served as section chief and was named senior engineer/scientist in 1964. He enjoyed golf.

Jim is survived by his wife of sixty-one years, Betty; daughter, Barbara Parr; and three grandchildren. A donation may be made to a favorite charity in Jim's memory.

Raye M. Fisher Jr. '40, of Rocky River, Ohio, on July 25, 2008. He was ninety.

Raye was an economics major. He was a member of Delta Phi and the Student Council. He enjoyed playing intramural sports. Raye went on to serve as treasurer and vice president of Ernest F. Donley's Sons Company in Cleveland, Ohio. He was a trustee of the Credit Management Association of Central and Northeastern Ohio and the South Ridge Civic Association. He was also a member of the Cleveland Treasurers Club, the Kenyon College Alumni Executive Committee, and Rotary International.

Raye is survived by his son, Roger Fisher, and a granddaughter. Memorial donations may be made to Rocky River United Methodist Church, 19414 Detroit Road, Cleveland, Ohio, 44116.

Dr. Edward F. Scanlon '40, H '83, on August 5, 2008, surrounded by his family at his home in Southlake, Texas. He was eighty-nine.

Edward majored in biology and chemistry and graduated magna cum laude. He was honored by membership in Phi Beta Kappa. Edward was elected vice president of the student body. With World War II approaching in his senior year, he took part in a federal government program aimed at training 20,000 pilots then in college. He learned to fly as part of the Kenyon aviation program and went on to win a national aviation competition and its prizes of $1,000 and a watch that was still in use after forty years.

He earned a medical degree from Columbia University in 1943. Edward then served overseas during World War II in a U.S. Army infantry battalion, earning the rank of captain.

After the war, Edward completed four years of surgical training at Rush Presbyterian Medical Center in Chicago, Illinois, and went on to the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York City for three years. He later established a private practice in Evanston, Illinois, and developed an extensive cancer-research program. His research helped advance surgical and chemical therapy, organ reconstruction, and methods for the early detection of cancer. Edward was a professor of surgery and chief of surgical oncology at Northwestern University Medical School. He practiced at Evanston Hospital for thirty-six years, including thirteen as chief of surgery. Edward was the author of two books and numerous medical studies. He served as the president of the American Cancer Society and the Society of Surgical Oncologists.

In 1981, with a $3.1 million gift from the J.L. and Helen Kellogg Foundation, he developed an idea for what is believed to be the first community hospital cancer center devoted exclusively to complete cancer care with a multi-disciplinary approach. Former U.S. President Gerald Ford dedicated what is now the Kellogg Cancer Care Center in Evanston in 1982.

Upon receiving his honorary degree from Kenyon, Edward wrote, "I consider this one of the high points of my career." College President Philip Jordan described Edward as "a leader in alleviating the pain of cancer" and noted his contributions to cancer therapies. Edward was a generous supporter of the College.

Edward was fond of bow ties. He lived for fifty-nine years in Northbrook, Illinois, before moving to Texas.

Edward is survived by Virginia, his wife of sixty years; daughters Cathy Scanlon Pringle and Mary Scanlon; three grandchildren; and his sister, Eileen Brogan.

Harry S. Kindle Jr. '41, P'89, on June 22, 2008. The Newton, Massachusetts, resident was eighty-eight.

Harry was a physics major. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi and worked on the Collegian. He was graduated a semester early in order to enlist in the military in anticipation of World War II, but he was instead urged to put his skills as an aircraft engineer to use in the war effort. Harry worked for Curtiss-Wright Corporation during the war. He later attended graduate school at Ohio State University and Indiana University.

Harry went on to become manager and director of quality control and reliability at the Cummins Engine Company in Columbus, Indiana. He then launched a career in auto sales. He was president of Mansfield Motors in Mansfield, Ohio, and president, general manager, and owner of the Lake Port Volkswagen automobile dealership in Toledo, Ohio.

He loved to travel and play tennis. He was a member of the Seaman's Service Organization and Toledo Club. Harry played an active role in the Kenyon Alumni Association.

Harry's son William Kindle told the Toledo (Ohio) Blade, "He liked building a business, not just for himself, but for his employees. He really cared a lot about his employees."

Harry is survived by his daughters, Lucia Leggette, Mary Kindle, and Constance Kindle; sons, Harry Kindle III and William Kindle; brother, William Kindle; and four grandchildren. Memorial donations may be sent to the Alzheimer's Foundation of America, 322 8th Avenue, 7th Floor, New York, New York, 10001, or the Kenyon Alumni Association, Office of Development, Kenyon College, College Relations Building, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Theo D. Baars Jr. 1942, on June 17, 2008, of congestive heart failure. He was with his family at home in Pensacola, Florida. Theo was eighty-seven.

Theo was an economics major. He participated on the swimming and tennis teams and was a member of Phi Delta Theta. He also attended Auburn University and Tulane University. Theo served in the U.S. Navy during World War II.

He founded Baars Realty in 1946, and he became prominent in the development community, particularly in the 1960s and 1970s. A story in the Pensacola News Journal described Theo as "a man with a hand in some of the most familiar landmarks in modern Pensacola." He was involved in real-estate deals that led to the development of Cordova Mall, Pensacola Junior College, and Sacred Heart Hospital in the Pensacola area. Theo opposed land-use zoning controls. His son, Theo Baars III, told the newspaper, "Dad's position was economics should dictate all things, not elected officials."

Theo was also involved in civic activities. He was president of the Pensacola Association of Realtors, served on the board of the Naval Aviation Museum, and played a role in the Pensacola Little Theatre, Pensacola Symphony, and Pensacola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce.

He is survived by his wife, Margie; children LuAnne Pope, Frauna Swansc, Theo Baars III, Peyton Slagle, and Bryan Baars; ex-wife Betty Baars; step-children Becky Taylor, Chuck Barrineau, and Dan Barrineau; eleven grandchildren; four step-grandchildren; and a great-grandchild. Memorial contributions may be made to Christ Episcopal Church, 18 West Wright Street, Pensacola, Florida, 32501; Covenant Hospice, 5041 North 12th Avenue, Pensacola, Florida, 32504; or Junior Achievement, 1010 North 12th Avenue, Pensacola, Florida, 32501.

Arthur H. Vail Jr. '45, on May 29, 1997. The Conroe, Texas, resident was seventy-four.

Arthur was an economics major. He was elected senior class president. He was a member of Delta Tau Delta and the Kenyon Klan. Arthur played football and golf and ran track. He was senior co-captain of the football team. He served in the U.S. Navy during World War II, leaving Kenyon in 1943 and returning in 1946. He graduated in 1947. Anticipating his return to Kenyon after the war, Arthur wrote in a letter to the College, "It will be good to be back and see some of the old boys again."

He went on to become a sales manager, based in Chicago, Illinois, for the Union Mechling Corporation, which provided barge-transportation services along the Mississippi River system and Gulf Intercoastal Waterway.

He is survived by his son, ­Arthur Vail III; daughters Katherine Swartzfager, Patricia Duff, and Diane Bossange; nine grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.

Lawrence Rust Hills Jr. 1946, of cardiac arrest, on August 12, 2008. The Key West, Florida, resident was eighty-three.

Rust was an English major and a member of Alpha Delta Phi. Rust served in the U.S. Merchant Marine during World War II. He later earned an undergraduate degree and master's at Wesleyan University and became an instructor of English at Carleton College.

Rust became the fiction editor at Esquire magazine and worked in that role during three stints from the 1950s through the 1990s. The New York Times called him "a staunch advocate of contemporary American literature." He had a hand in publishing the work of many of the country's finest writers, including Ann Beattie, Raymond Carver, John Cheever, Don DeLillo, Richard Ford, William Gaddis, Norman Mailer, E. Annie Proulx, and James Salter. The Times noted that Rust was adept at taking excerpts from novels and shaping them to seem like short stories, creating a complete experience for the reader.

"He used to say that excerpting was the true editor's art," Ford told the Times. "He had a wide idea of what good fiction was, and when I got involved with him, it seemed like a huge stroke of luck."

The Times said Rust was "known for being cranky, curious, passive-aggressive and, most of all, persnickety." David Granger, the current Esquire editor-in-chief, said, "It was and is clear that he was one of the great stewards of magazine fiction."

He wrote three books of personal essays, starting with How to Do Things Right: The Revelations of a Fussy Man.

In a 1940s letter to the ­College, he wrote, "Kenyon ... is always in my mind. I still know all the Kenyon and Alpha Delt songs by heart. I wonder if all colleges and fraternities exert such a ­lasting bond."

Rust is survived by his wife, Joy Williams; daughter, Caitlin Hills; and a grandson.

Robert "Bob" I. Hirst 1946, on September 19, 2007. The Lodi, New York, resident was eighty-three.

At Kenyon, Bob was a founder of the Archon fraternity. He withdrew from Kenyon to serve in the U.S. Army during World War II. In 1950, Bob was graduated from the University of Toronto with a degree in library science. He worked at the Akron (Ohio) Main Public Library and became chief librarian at the Mills College of Education. He also worked at the Yonkers (New York) Public Library and the Brooklyn (New York) Public Library.

Bob loved to travel and enjoyed photography and music.

James "Bob" R. Munson '46, of Connellsville, Pennsylvania, on August 1, 2008. He was eighty-four.

Bob was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma and the Lords swimming team. He joined the U.S. Naval Reserve during World War II. He later attended the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan and became a sales representative for the Myers Furnace Supply Company of Duquesne, Pennsylvania. He was involved in Masonic activities.

Bob is survived by his sons, J. Mark Munson and David Munson, and five grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the New Haven Hose Company, 125 N. 7th Street, Connellsville, Pennsylvania, 15425, which supports the New Haven Hose Company Volunteer Fire Department, or to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 22718, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 73123.

Thomas R. Spellerberg 1948, on October 12, 2008. Thomas died in the Ohio Veterans Home in Sandusky, Ohio, at age eighty-two.

Thomas was a political science major. He attended Kenyon in 1944 and 1945 and transferred to Ohio State University (OSU), where he completed his undergraduate degree and became a Big Ten Conference fencing champion. He served in the U.S. Army Air Forces in 1947. He later served in the Air Force Reserve for fourteen years, retiring as a captain.

Thomas graduated from the OSU College of Law in 1950. He practiced law in Tiffin, Ohio, and in 1960 was elected prosecuting attorney of Seneca County. Thomas was elected judge of the Tiffin Municipal Court in 1984 and judge of the Seneca County Common Pleas Court in 1986. He retired as judge in 1998. Thomas was president of the Seneca County Bar Association, a member of the board of directors of the National District Attorneys Association, and a member of the board of directors of the local YMCA.

He is survived by his wife of more than sixty years, Elinor; sons Scott, Jeffrey, and Lance Spellerberg; daughter, Janet Bursley; and five grandchildren. Contributions in his memory may be made to the Trinity United Church of Christ, 131 East Perry Street, Tiffin, Ohio, 44883, or to a scholarship fund at Ohio State University, ­Enarson Hall, 154 West 12th Avenue, ­Columbus, Ohio, 43210.

Peyton "Peyt" Pitney '51, on March 18, 2008. The Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, resident was seventy-eight.

Peyt was a mathematics major. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi and the Student Council, was captain of the Lords baseball team, and worked on the Collegian. Peyt served in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War and was stationed in California. He earned a master's degree in education from Harvard University in 1963.

He taught at the Pingry School in Elizabeth, New Jersey, and then the Northfield Mount Hermon School in Mount Hermon, Massachusetts. Peyt became dean of students and head of the Northfield campus. He was also comfortable on the ice with the Northfield Mount Hermon faculty hockey team. He later started the Pitney's Groundskeeping business in Arendtsville, Pennsylvania, and worked as a financial planner.

Peyt enjoyed time spent with his family at their cabin on Silver Lake in New Hampshire. He was also fond of bird-watching, gardening, tennis, woodworking, and skiing.

He is survived by his wife, Patricia; daughters Susan Giuffreda and Jennifer Pitney; and six grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Adams County Public Library, 140 Baltimore Street, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 17325, or the Land Conservancy of Adams County, 670 Old Harrisburg Road, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, 17325.

Alan M. Connelly 1952, on June 19, 2008. The resident of Massillon, Ohio, was seventy-seven.

Alan left Kenyon to serve in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He later completed his undergraduate degree at Miami University. He went on to graduate from Yale Law School in 1957. He worked as a lawyer and was a member of the Ohio State Bar Association and National Bar Association.

Alan is survived by his wife, Carol; sons Steven and Rick Connelly; daughters Vicki Searles, Susan Demko, and Carol Nordman; brother, Dr. David Connelly; foster brother, Elio Barbis; and several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Dr. Dennis F. Hoeffler '53, of cancer on September 2, 2008. The Cleveland, Ohio, resident was seventy-seven.

Dennis was a German major. He was a co-captain of the swimming team and a member of the Kenyon Klan. He was elected president of Sigma Pi. He earned advanced degrees from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, in 1957, and the University of Michigan School of Public Health, in 1972.

He served for twenty-four years in the U.S. Navy, retiring in Washington, D.C., as director of occupational and preventive medicine and deputy surgeon general for Navy health-care programs. He had earlier served in Japan as a pediatrician at the Naval Hospital in Yokosuka and at the Great Lakes Naval Center in Illinois, where he was chief of the Epidemiology Division, Naval Medical Research Unit.

He joined General Electric in 1982, working as a medical director at General Electric facilities. He retired in 1997 as the medical director for the General Electric Nela Park facility in East Cleveland, Ohio.

He was fond of hiking in the Cleveland Metroparks with his wife, Karol. The couple collected toy owls. A family friend told the Plain Dealer of Cleveland that Dennis was observant and pragmatic and dispensed sage advice if asked. Dennis was a volunteer at the North Coast Health Ministry in Lakewood, Ohio.

Dennis is survived by his wife; sons Fredrick, Theodore, and Andrew Hoeffler; stepsons John and Mark Lundine; and nine grandchildren. Donations in his memory may be sent to North Coast Health Ministry, 16110 Detroit Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44107; Rocky River Presbyterian Church, 21750 Detroit Road, Cleveland, Ohio, 44116; or Save the Children, 54 Wilton Road, Westport, Connecticut, 06880.

Jon D. Wittgenfeld '53, on June 27, 2008. The East Rochester, New York, resident was eighty.

Jon served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. He was a technical writer for Xerox.

He is survived by daughters Lucinda J. Bohnas, Ida Milligan, and Jane Ernsberger; son, William Huffman; sister, Susan Clark; brothers Dallas and Rick Wittgenfeld; thirteen grandchildren; and thirteen great-grandchildren.

Edgar C. Bennett '54, P'89, of Kailua, Hawaii, on July 3, 2008. He was seventy-six.

Edgar was a history major. He was a member of the Arnold Air Society and Sigma Pi. He earned a master's in arts from Ohio State University in 1961, between terms as a high school teacher in Cape Vincent, New York.

Edgar served in the U.S. Air Force and won a Bronze Star during the Vietnam War for action against the Viet Cong. He later served in a unit of the Aerospace Defense Command. He retired from the military in 1979. He had been stationed in Hawaii, where he joined a commercial insurance company as auditor. He later formed an independent audit company.

Edgar was a world traveler and enjoyed sailing and swimming. He was a volunteer with Habitat for Humanity and coached soccer. He was active in local politics. Edgar was a vestry member of Street Christopher's Episcopal Church.

Edgar's father was the Rev. Aaron Bennett '21. The names of six alumni from the extended Bennett family are listed on a bench plaque on Middle Path. In a note to the College, Edgar wrote, "Kenyon captured a part of my heart and wherever I found myself I have always felt it was home."

In a memorial note to the College, Edgar's daughter, Mary Bennett Smith '89, wrote, "From Middle Path ... he has left footprints on mountain tops, on walls and in the four corners of the world. Sailing was one of his greatest pleasures, and he shared it with friends and family. He enjoyed several epic sailing trips."

Edgar is survived by his wife, Winifred; daughters, Virginia "Ginger" Fulton-Bennett and Smith; son, David Bennett; a sister; and a granddaughter. Memorial donations may be made to Street Christopher's, P.O. Box 456, 93 North Kainalu Drive, Kailua, Hawaii, or to Kenyon in support of the Stephen Bennett Memorial Award, Office of Development, Kenyon College, College Relations Building, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Martin J. Waldman '56, on September 17, 2008, at his home in Livingston, New Jersey. He was seventy-four.

Martin was an economics major. He played on the soccer and baseball teams and was a member of Delta Kappa Epsilon, which elected him president. He went on to serve in the U.S. Army.

He retired in 1999 as the president of the Inventory Control Company in Teterboro, New Jersey. He previously worked for the Brixite Manufacturing Company in South Kearney, New Jersey, and, after that company was purchased, for National Distillers and Chemicals. Martin had moved to Livingston in the last year after living for many years in both East Orange and West Orange, New Jersey. In recent years he also maintained a home in Boynton Beach, Florida.

Martin is survived by his wife, Loretta; children Scott, Steven, and Andrew Waldman and Jill Parker; and six grandchildren.

Robert "Nick" N. Farquhar '58, on April 22, 2008. The Dayton, Ohio, resident was seventy-one.

Nick was a political science major. He was a member of the Chase Society, Delta Phi, and the Student Council. He graduated from the law school at Cornell University in 1961. He practiced law in Dayton and became a partner in the law firm Gould, Bailey & Farquhar. He later became president of Altick & Corwin Company LPA.

Nick was active in the local and legal communities. He had been chairman of the Ohio State Legal Ethics and Professional Conduct Committee, president of the Dayton Bar Association, and president of the Grace House Sexual Abuse Resource Center, among other positions.

Nick enjoyed family time, genealogy, history, and reading. He was a member of the Dayton Bicycle Club and the Centerville Historical Society. Classmate and friend Robert Price said, "He was ... one of the nicest guys I ever knew."

Nick is survived by his wife, Carol; sons Robert N. Farquhar Jr., James Brian Smith, and Brad Alan Smith; daughter, Jensen Askay; sister, Ann Krug; and eight grandchildren. Memorial donations may be made to the Robert N. Farquhar Memorial Fund, Dayton Bar Association Foundation, 109 North Main Street #600, Dayton, Ohio, 45402.

David B. Pharis '63, of esophageal cancer at home with his family, on September 6, 2008. The Austin, Texas, resident was sixty-seven.

David was an English major. He was a member of Delta Phi and the Student Council. David earned a master's degree in social work at Case Western Reserve University in 1965 and a master's degree in community and regional planning at the University of Texas in 1978.

He embarked on a career in social work, starting in adolescent care in Chicago, Illinois. He became assistant superintendent at the Jacksonville State Hospital in Illinois, and then worked for the Texas Department of Human Services. Starting in the 1980s and for sixteen years he served as the U.S. District Court monitor overseeing reforms in eight state psychiatric hospitals in Texas after a class-action lawsuit. The lawsuit uncovered horrific conditions in Texas mental hospitals. The case led to new procedures and quality-care standards for mentally ill patients that have since been adopted in other states. He edited the book State Hospital Reform: Why Was It So Hard to Accomplish? David became a consultant in the fields of mental health and social services, working with federal, state, and local agencies and attorneys. David was also an advanced clinical practitioner in social work and provided counseling services. He became a professional guardian to many impaired people.

The Austin (Texas) American-Statesman said David was "the closest thing to a guardian angel that many people with mental illness in Texas had." And Texas civil rights lawyer Philip Durst told the newspaper, "David was a great and humane monitor and enforcer of the rights of persons with mental illness."

His family and friends were central to his life. He was also a fisherman, gardener, and traveler. David loved to read and devoured an average of one book each week. He donated his body to the LifeLegacy Foundation for use in medical research.

David is survived by Mary, his wife of forty-two years; sons Christopher and Michael Pharis; and two grandchildren. Donations in his memory may be made to the People's Community Clinic, 2909 North IH-35, Austin, Texas, 78722; Capital Area Food Bank, 8201 South Congress Avenue, Austin, Texas, 78745; Hospice Austin, 4107 Spicewood Springs Road #100, Austin, Texas, 78759; or any charity.

Richard H. Jones '64, on September 24, 2008. The Perrysburg, Ohio, resident was sixty-six.

Richard was a psychology major. He was a member of Beta Theta Pi and the Glee Club. He worked for Owens Corning Fiberglass and became a personnel manager in Anderson, South Carolina. He transferred to Toledo, Ohio, in 1974 to work in corporate industrial relations. Richard retired in 2003 as the director of labor relations after a career in which he won the respect of union leadership.

Richard was an avid fan of University of Michigan football and also enjoyed classic movies, history, and politics.

He is survived by his wife, Kathleen; sons Jason, Erick, and David Jones; sister, Diane Long; and father, Edward Jones. Donations in Richard's memory may be sent to the Hospice of Northwest Ohio, 30000 East River Road, ­Perrysburg, Ohio, 43551.

Alan E. Crace '75 of a brain tumor, on August 12, 2008. The East Walnut Hills, Ohio, resident was fifty-four.

Alan, an English major, graduated magna cum laude. He was a member of the undefeated 1972 Lords football team and was a G.K. Chalmers Scholar. He earned a teaching certificate in 1976 from Wilmington College but shortly afterwards decided to begin a career in the construction industry. He founded Crace Construction Company, in Piketon, Ohio, and remained president of the company until his death. A dedicated philanthropist, Alan supported the United Way, Cincinnati Public Schools, the Unity Church of Peace, and Youth Opportunities United in the Cincinnati area.

In an interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer, longtime friend Tipp Long said, "You tend to talk good about people when they pass, but there just really wasn't any better person than Alan Crace."

Literature was a lifelong passion, and he enjoyed all of the arts, as well as tennis and biking. He also competed in triathlons.

Alan is survived by his wife, Nancy; daughters Marie Shearn and Hannah Crace; and sister, Anne Schilling. Memorial donations may be made to the Brain Tumor Patient Care Fund, University Hospital Foundation, ML0700, 234 Goodman Street, Cincinnati, Ohio, 43219, or 4C for Children, 1934 Dana Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45207.

Gregory Alan Shell '78, on August 16, 2008, of injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. The resident of Norwalk, Ohio, was fifty-one.

Gregory was an art major. He played on the Lords football and wrestling teams. He went on to graduate from Capital University Law School and became a defense attorney. He was a world traveler. Gregory loved the arts, including photography, and enjoyed motorcycles and automobiles. He also savored cigars.

He is survived by sons Peter and Jonas Shell; father, Paul E. Shell; four grandchildren; and sister, Linda Harrington. Memorial donations may be made to Pontifical College Josephinum, 7625 North High Street, Columbus, Ohio, 43235.

Waldo "Pasq" Wilson Jr. 1982, on May 23, 2008, after a brief illness. He was forty-eight.

Pasq was a history and religious studies major. He was a member of the Peeps fraternity and the band the Conscious Bugs. He went on to study with Allen Ginsberg and Anne Waldman at the Naropa Institute in Boulder, Colorado. He became a poet and performance artist.

Childhood friend Amanda Walker posted an online memorial for Pasq, noting, "He was so wonderful-full of poetry and so much larger than life. And in all the times I've seen him over the years, those things never changed." Pasq's friend, bandmate, and classmate Harrison Sherwood, wrote, "My hat's off to you, my old friend ... From protector to needful supplicant, sometimes in the space of a day. That's what friends do."

Pasq is survived by his mother, Callie Mae Wilson, and his sister, Nancy Scanlan.

Frederick F. Samaha '83, of glioblastoma after a long illness, on August 26, 2008. The Villanova, Pennsylvania, resident was forty-seven.

Frederick was a chemistry major. He earned his medical degree from the University of Cincinnati School of Medicine. He finished his internal medicine residency at the University of Illinois Medical Center in Chicago and a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Frederick was an associate professor of medicine at the University of Pennsylvania and chief of cardiology at the Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which became nationally recognized for programs in cardiovascular medicine and clinical research under his leadership.

Frederick was a leader in cardiovascular research. His research comparing low-fat to low-carbohydrate diets in 2003 influenced the dietary recommendations of cardiologists and nutritionists around the country. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs said this about his research: "Obese patients on a low-carbohydrate diet for six months lost more weight and fared better on certain cardiovascular and diabetes measures than patients on a low-fat, calorie-restricted diet." He also did research into the effect of sleep apnea on cardiovascular risk and the role of raising HDL cholesterol in reducing heart attacks. His studies were funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Veterans Administration.

Frederick's passion was spending time with his family. He was an avid runner and enjoyed singing and playing the guitar. He was known for his sense of humor and love of life.

He is survived by his wife, Carol Chou; children Sophia and Alexander; sister, Michelle Kennedy; brother, James Samaha; and parents, Frederick and Claire Samaha. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Friends School Haverford, 851 Buck Lane, Haverford, Pennsylvania, 19041; the Radnor Monthly Meeting, Conestoga Road and Route 320, Radnor, Pennsylvania, 19087; or the Brain Tumor Society Race for Hope under Team Rick Samaha, Race for Hope-Philadelphia, c/o Brain Tumor Society, 124 Watertown Street, Suite 3H, Watertown, Massachusetts, 02472.

Michael M. Drozd '84, of Mahwah, New Jersey, on August 12, 2008, in a traffic accident. He was forty-six.

Michael was a studio art major. He was a counselor, a Generics (computer programming) co-leader, and a member of Phi Kappa Sigma, the rugby team, and a barbershop quartet.

Michael completed a graduate degree certificate in computer technology at Columbia University in 1987. He worked as a computer programmer and analyst for IMI Systems in New York and later became a self-employed computer analyst. He enjoyed traveling around the world with his wife, Pamela. Michael was a volunteer firefighter in Waldwick, New Jersey, and he later became the Mahwah fire inspector. He was also a pipe sergeant in the Bergen County Firefighters Pipe Band

He was killed when his pick-up truck rolled over in Paramus, New Jersey, while he was driving home from a pipe band performance. Michael's father, Robert Drozd, said, "Life without Michael is inconceivable." Waldwick Fire Chief Joseph Alvarez said, "He was always looking to help people. He was very into public safety."

The pipe band played "The Rowan Tree" and "Going Home" during his funeral. A member of the pipe band, Jim Schmitt, was overcome by emotion and later told the Record of Hackensack, New Jersey, "There are those that say they don't think they can do it. But they will do it. And they are."

Brian Potter, battalion chief at Mahwah, said Michael helped with the firehouse cooking and anything else that needed to be done. "He was so well-versed on anything-from history to science fiction," Potter told the Record.

He is survived by his wife; parents Margaret and Robert Drozd; and four siblings.

Howard A. Hansen II '85, of a congenital liver problem, on May 11, 2008. The resident of Seattle, Washington, was forty-four.

Howard was a mathematics major. He went on to a career as a software designer, working variously for Microsoft, Timeline, and the Payne Consulting Group.

To help cope with his illness, Howard became a certified practitioner of the BodyTalk System, an energy-healing form of alternative medicine. He was an avid photographer and reader and was fond of body surfing in the Atlantic Ocean. He had command of a mental trove of eclectic information. He was an exacting cook and collected books, music, single-blade razors, and T-shirts.

Howard is survived by his wife, Sondra; children Milo and Ella Hansen; mother, Nancy Hansen; grandfather, Robert Farnham; sister, Lieschan Lopuszynski; and brother, Robert Hansen. Memorial contributions may be made to the Seattle Public Library Foundation, 1000 Fourth Avenue, Seattle, Washington, 98104, or the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation International, 120 Wall Street, New York, New York, 10005.

Daniel J. Stewart 1990, at his home in Madison, Wisconsin, on August 3, 2008. Daniel was forty.

After leaving Kenyon, Daniel went on to earn a master's degree in poetry from Ohio State University. He was president of Stewart & Associates, a political research and media consulting business in Royal Oaks, Michigan, in 1997, and most recently was chief executive officer of Stewart Security of Worthington, Ohio.

Daniel shared his passion for the fine arts with his family. He was a skilled photographer and enjoyed chess. He supported many community organizations, including the Madison Ballet, the Madison Country Day School, and the Madison Children's Museum in Wisconsin; Planned Parenthood of Michigan; NARAL Ohio; and Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio.

He is survived by his children with Katharina Stewart, including John, Erik, and Laura Stewart; parents Lauren and Deborah Stewart; sister, Rachel Street John; and maternal grandparents Joseph and Ceila Mitchka. Contributions in his memory may be sent to Nationwide Children's Hospital, 700 Children's Drive, Columbus, Ohio, 43205.

Cheri A. Camacho '00, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on September 4, 2008. She was twenty-nine.

Cheri was a neuroscience major. She was a member of the track team, PEERS (Promoting Educated Effective Relationships Among Students), and the NIA sorority. She also participated as a REACH (Recognizing Each Others' Ability to Conquer the Hill) mentor. She was admitted to the scientific research society Sigma Xi.

Cheri lived in Spain for a few months after graduating from Kenyon and then entered the University of Rochester School of Medicine in New York. She was in her second year of anesthesiology residency at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. She loved to travel and spend time with her family, friends, and her dog, Sassy. She considered her mother her best friend.

Patricia Roberts of Great Falls, Virginia, said of Cheri, "I will always remember her as a dedicated physician. Her smile and sense of humor brightened us all."

Cheri is survived by her parents Camille and Adolfo Camacho, and her sister, Candice Camacho '95. Memorial donations may be made to a local animal shelter or the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 424 E. 92nd Street, New York, New York, 10128.

Back to Top DeliciousFacebook FacebookStumbleUpon StumbleUponDigg Diggreddit reddit