George S. Clarke '38, on April 7, 2010. The Silver Spring, Maryland, resident was ninety-four.

George was a biology and chemistry major and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He joined Psi Upsilon, played football, and ran track. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II, from 1940-45. He was wounded twice during fighting in France, Belgium, and Germany. He was awarded the Purple Heart with the oak leaf cluster. George left the infantry with the rank of first lieutenant.

He later worked in sales and became a sales engineer for the Trane Company in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

George's wife, Jan, died in 1983. He was survived by daughters Deborah Sebring and Jennifer Restrepo; three grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

John A. "Jack" Lindberg Jr. '41, of Marshall, Michigan, on December 9, 2009. He was ninety and had suffered a stroke.

Jack was a chemistry major. He played basketball, football, and golf and joined Phi Kappa Sigma.

He took a job as a metallurgist with the U.S. Cartridge Co. in St. Louis, Missouri, and then enlisted in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He served in the South Pacific as a lieutenant junior grade. After the war, he played professional golf before he began a career as a manufacturer's representative, working in the Detroit, Michigan, area for many years. He spent twenty-two years with the Carl A. Underhill Co., became regional manager of Western Brass Mills, and, in 1977, founded John A. Lindberg and Associates, representing the Swedish corporation Metallverken.

"I have heard so many tales about Kenyon through our sixty-one years of marriage," his wife, Eleanor, wrote in a note to the College. "Jack was always an ardent fan of Kenyon and was ever grateful for his unique experiences there. He had reached the 'nifty nineties' and lived a full and joyful life."

In addition to Eleanor, Jack was survived by his children Carol Jehle, Lauire Lindberg, and John A. Lindberg III; four grandchildren; and a great-grandson. Memorial donations may be sent to Trinity Episcopal Church, 101 East Mansion Street, Marshall, Michigan, 49068.

Robert W. Curry '42, P'75, on September 25, 2010. The Tucson, Arizona, resident was ninety.

Robert joined Psi Upsilon. He left Kenyon to join the American Field Service during World War II, and he drove an ambulance in North Africa, including during the battle of El Alamein. He later joined the U.S. Army and worked in intelligence services in Europe during the remainder of the war.

Robert worked in the oil industry until moving to Tucson in 1971.

He was survived by his wife, Catharine; children Robert, ­Timothy, and Suzanne Curry O'Gara '75; six grandsons; and three great-grandchildren.

Harold T. "Had" Millikin '44, on September 6, 2010. He was eighty-eight and lived in Santa Barbara, California.

Had was an economics major. He was president of Sigma Pi and was on the swimming team. He served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War II, including service in North Africa and the Middle East. He returned to duty during the Korean War.

He embarked on a successful career in sales and advertising and much of his life was spent in the Chicago area. He was advertising manager for the Westclox Division of the General Time Corp. and finished his career as an advertising executive for Family Circle magazine, retiring in 1989. He was an avid curler and was once director of the U.S. Men's Curling Association. He also enjoyed golf. Had was an active member of Christ Church. He will be remembered at Kenyon for his leading role as an alumnus, volunteering as a class agent and campaign field director.

He survived the death of his wife, Dorenda, in 1996, and the death of his second wife, Claire, in 2001. Had was survived by his children Rendy, Anne, and David.

Thomas W. Shields '44 H '78 P'76,'79, on October 7, 2010. The Lincolnshire, Illinois, physician was eighty-eight.

Thomas was a biology major. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He joined Middle Kenyon Association. Thomas was a 1947 graduate of the Temple University School of Medicine. He served as a physician with the U.S. Army during the Korean War, from 1951-53.

Thomas was a surgeon, educator, and writer. He was professor emeritus of surgery at Northwestern University and chief of surgery at Veterans Administration Lakeside Hospital in Chicago. He was the editor of several books, including General Thoracic Surgery, and was an associate editor for Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics. His students and peers created a lectureship in his name at the Feinberg School of Medicine at Northwestern. When he was awarded an honorary doctor of science degree at Kenyon in 1978, Thomas was described as "prolific in research, gifted in instruction, skilled in the surgeon's arts, authoritative in medical knowledge."

He had enjoyed retirement in Scottsdale, Arizona, for ten years. He was an avid cook, a world traveler, and photographer.

Thomas was a generous supporter of the College. The Shields Room in the Olin and Chalmers Libraries was established in memory of Bessie Shields, Thomas's mother.

Thomas was survived by his wife of sixty-two years, Ann; sons Thomas W. Shields Jr. and John Shields '76; and daughter, Carol Loeb '79; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Surgery, 303 East Chicago ­Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60611.

Milford H. "Bill" Davis 1946 P'88, on July 31, 2010. The Boulder, Colorado, man was eighty-five.

After a year at Kenyon, during which he joined Delta Phi, he served in the U.S. Army Air Forces as a technical sergeant, leaving the service in 1946. During the war he volunteered to be an observer at atomic bomb testing in the Bikini Atoll. He graduated from Yale University in 1949 and earned a doctorate in physics at the California Institute of Technology in 1955.

Bill worked for the Rand Corporation in Los Angeles from 1955 to 1967, the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder from 1967 to 1976, the University Space Research Association from 1976 to 1987, and as a special assistant to the director of the space research association from 1985 to 1993.

Bill was survived by his daughter, Jennifer Faith Davis '88; son, Timothy Paul Davis; and former wife, Silca Pigors. Memorial contributions may be made to Doctors Without Borders, 333 Seventh Avenue, New York, New York, 10001.

Donald S. McCreary '49, on October 2, 2010, of complications from emphysema. The resident of Siasconset, Massachusetts, was eighty-five.

Donald was an English major. He joined Psi Upsilon. He had volunteered as an ambulance driver with the American Field Service in Italy during World War II and came to love all things Italian. He returned to Italy as a Fulbright scholar and studied at the University of Florence in 1950.

Donald started his professional career in New York City, for Radio Liberty and Columbia University Press. In 1958, he went to Belgrade, Yugoslavia, as an assistant mission chief for CARE, the international aid agency, according to the Washington Post and the Inquirer and Mirror of Nantucket, Massachusetts. Donald moved to Warsaw, Poland, with CARE before returning to Belgrade in 1962 as CARE mission chief. He was recognized by the Yugoslav Red Cross for his relief work during the 1963 earthquake that devastated Skopje, Yugoslavia.

In 1965, Donald moved to Virginia to work for the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Service, and he stayed for twenty-five years. He retired in 1985 as an administrator for the commodity distribution division. Donald retired to Nantucket in 1992. While in Nantucket, he worked for the Nantucket Historical Association, the Life Saving Museum, and the Nantucket Emergency Food Pantry. He enjoyed literature, poetry, jazz, and playing the piano.

He was survived by his wife of forty-nine years, Jane, and children David McCreary and Janet McCreary. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Nantucket Conservation Foundation, P.O. Box 13, Nantucket, ­Massachusetts, 02554.

Thomas N. Carruth '50, of cancer, on July 10, 2010. The Lancaster, Ohio, man was eighty-two.

Tom was an economics major. He was a member of the swimming team and Delta Tau Delta. He served in the U.S. Army during the Korean War.

He went on to work for more than thirty-five years at the Anchor Hocking Glass Company in several leadership positions. Tom was an avid golfer and active in community clubs and events.

Tom was survived by daughter, Joan Fithian; son, Thomas Carruth; five grandchildren; sister, Tish; and friend, Nickie Leckrone. He was preceded in death by his wife of fifty years, Jacqueline Sue Carruth. Donations in his memory may be sent to Fairfield Medical Center Palliative Care Unit, 401 North Ewing Street, Lancaster, Ohio, 43130.

John C. Mitchell '50, on August 14, 2010, after a long battle with heart disease. The Brewster, Massachusetts, man was eighty-one.

John was a psychology major. He was on the swimming team, and he joined Beta Theta Pi and the Kenyon Klan. He also participated in theater productions and was part of the debating team. John later served with the U.S. Army 47th Infantry Division during the Korean War.

He began a career of almost forty years with the McGraw-Hill Publishing Company in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1952. He worked for McGraw-Hill in management positions in Detroit, New York City, and Maidenhead, England, where he became an enthusiastic Anglophile. In 1980, John represented the company in the first U.S. trade delegation allowed into China. He later worked in England as director of European operations for Energy Conversion Devices.

The family then settled in Brewster, where John was a dedicated fan of the Boston Red Sox. He also played an active role in local politics and served as a Brewster selectman for twelve years. During the time he served, Brewster spent about $40 million to repair various town buildings and build a new police station and elementary school. He was appointed six times by three governors to serve on the state Local Government Advisory Commission. He took a special interest in helping save and restore the Crosby Mansion, a Brewster landmark. After leaving the town council, John became a volunteer driver for the Council on Aging.

A story in the Cape Cod Times about John's death described him as "a dyed-in-the-wool, fiscally conservative Republican ... known for being outspoken on the causes he cared about, but not afraid to change his mind." Brewster town administrator Charles Sumner said, "He was a very serious, bright guy, but he liked to have fun."

John was survived by his wife of fifty-five years, Joan; children Paul and Suzanne; and a grandson. Memorial donations may be made to the Brewster Council on Aging, 1673 Main Street, Brewster, ­Massachusetts, 02631.

George Lanning Jr. '52, on ­August 5, 1995. He was seventy and lived in Cleveland, Ohio.

George was an English major. He was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma and worked on Hika and Reveille. The Best American Short Stories of 1951 included his short story "Old Turkey Neck," written while he was a junior.

He pursued a successful career in writing and became an editor of the Kenyon Review. Many of his stories and critical essays were published in magazines around the country. He wrote the novels This Happy Rural Seat (1953), The Pedestal (1966), and Green Corn Moon (1968). Time praised This Happy Rural Seat in a review that mentioned George as "one of the ablest new novelists in some time." Hollywood Reporter called Green Corn Moon "easily the funniest book of the year" and described George as "a superlative writer." George was named director of news and publications at Kenyon in 1952 and continued in that role until 1960. He was editor of the Alumni Bulletin for twelve years, starting in 1952. He later worked for the Educational Research Council of America as a research associate writer. George was also a freelance writer.

Marvin P. Betts '54, on August 2, 2010. The Middletown, Connecticut, resident was seventy-seven.

Marvin was an economics major. He was active in theater and joined the Middle Kenyon Association. He later served in the U.S. Army during the ­Korean War.

Marvin went to work for the Titan Chemical Corp. in Houston, Texas, and then moved to Connecticut, where he became operations manager for the Connecticut Lighting Center. He later joined the Cobalt Supermarket, where he became manager and co-owner. He was a past commander of Jewish War Veterans of the United States, Department of Connecticut, and an active member of Congregation Adath Israel.

Marvin was survived by his wife of fifty-one years, Edith; sons Jonathan and Michael Betts; and three grandchildren. Memorial donations may be made to Congregation Adath Israel, P.O. Box 337, Middletown, Connecticut, 06457, or the American Heart Association, 5 Brookside Drive, Wallingford, Connnecticut, 06492.

David A. Scudder '54, of complications suffered after a 2008 skiing accident, on August 24, 2010. The seventy-eight-year-old man lived in West Hartford, Connecticut.

David was a political science major. He joined Delta Phi and played on the lacrosse and tennis teams. He earned a master's in business administration at Cornell University. David served in the U.S. Army as a radio operator, stationed in West Germany.

He went on to work for the Travelers Insurance Co. in Simsbury, Connecticut. David moved to Washington, D.C., in the middle 1970s to become the general manager of the National Flood Insurance Program, and he later worked as a lobbyist for the National Electrical Contractors Association and became a freelance writer. He enjoyed skiing, sailing, tennis, and building railroad and ship models. He spent many years as a senior patrolman for the National Ski Patrol on the New England slopes. He was a past president of the Hartford Tennis Club.

David was the son of the late W. Tracy Scudder Jr., who was the College director of admissions from 1950-67 and the late Ruth Auld Scudder, who was a member of the Hill Players Society and involved in Kenyon's theater productions. David had been married to the late Nancy Steele Scudder; they met while he attended Kenyon and she attended Denison College.

David is survived by children Sarah, Timothy, and Linda; eleven grandchildren; and brothers Brent Scudder '60 and Walter Scudder. Donations in his memory may be made to the Special Olympics, Connecticut, P.O. Box 4000, Hamden, Connecticut, 06514.

James D. Staub '56, on July 5, 2010. The Honolulu, Hawaii, man was seventy-seven.

James was a French major. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma. He earned a master's degree in business administration at the American Institute of Foreign Trade.

He became a fifth-grade teacher in Honolulu in 1958. After two years, James began a corporate career as treasurer for Alexander & Baldwin, a transportation and real estate company. He eventually transferred to the company's San Francisco office. In 1984, he joined the Atalanta Sosnoff Corporation, a financial services company. James headed the company's Western Pacific Marketing Division. He traveled widely in the Western Pacific.

He was survived by his wife, Judith; sons Jonathan Staub and David Staub; daughters Kila Peterson and Blair Paterson; two grandchildren; and brother, John Staub.

Theodore R. St. Clair '57, on December 21, 2009. The resident of Plymouth, Michigan, was seventy-five.

Theodore was a biology major. He was a member of the Middle Kenyon Association. He later attended the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine and enjoyed a career as a specialist in anatomic and clinical pathology.

Lloyd Warner '57, on July 27, 2010. The Williamsburg, Virginia, man was seventy-four.

Lloyd was a history major. He played baseball and was a member of Sigma Pi and the Kenyon Klan. He went on to graduate from the U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School and served on the USS Ranger and USS Midway and in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. He retired after twenty-one years in the Navy with the rank of commander.

He loved trains and, after his Navy service, he worked as a Conrail trainmaster in Philadelphia. He later worked as a program manager for HRB Singer, a defense electronics firm, in State College, Pennsylvania. After Lloyd moved to Baltimore, Maryland, he became the assistant director of the USS Constellation while the ship was being restored. He was also a consultant for special projects for the Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum. Lloyd founded the Bellefonte Historical Railroad Society.

He retired in 2004 and moved to Williamsburg, where he became a docent at Bruton Parish Church. He enjoyed golf and was an ardent fan of the Philadelphia Phillies.

Lloyd was survived by his wife of forty-eight years, Carol; daughters Deborah Kloiber and Deirdre Warner-Kramer; son, David Warner; five grandchildren; and brother, Caryl Warner '55. Memorial donations may be sent to Bruton Parish Church, P.O. Box 3520, Williamsburg, Virginia, 23187; or American Cancer Society, 11835 Canon Boulevard, Suite a102, Newport News, ­Virginia, 23606.

Karl C. George '58, on October 4, 2010. He was seventy-four and lived in Mount Vernon, Ohio.

Karl participated in lacrosse and joined Phi Kappa Sigma. He later attended the University of Dayton.

Karl was hired by National Cash Register in Dayton as a draftsman in 1957 and, in 1973, moved to Cambridge, Ohio, to continue his career with the company, retiring in 1992 as an engineering manager. He enjoyed bowling and golf.

Karl's wife of fifty-four years, Barbara, died on November 6, 2010. He was survived by his daughter, Ginger Baerenwald; two grandsons; and sisters Mary Anderson and Elaine Maynard. Memorial donations may be sent to Faith Lutheran Church, 170 Mansfield Avenue, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050; Knox Community Hospital Foundation, 1330 Coshocton Avenue, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050; Hope Now, 1309 North Mulberry Street, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050; or Interchurch Social Services, 306 West Gambier Street, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050.

O. Kingsley "King" Hawes II '59, on September 1, 2010. The Little Compton, Rhode Island, resident was seventy-seven.

King was a history major. He played on the baseball team and participated in theater. He joined Alpha Delta Phi. King left Kenyon to join the U.S. Marine Corps and served during the Korean War. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Marine Corps League, and the Veteran Marine Corps Association.

King worked in sales and national accounts marketing for Aero Mayflower Household Carriers in Detroit, Michigan, and became district manager. He was a member of the National Maritime Historical Society, the Elephant Rock Beach Club, and the Fall River Historical Society. King was a longtime advocate for Alcoholics Anonymous and worked with others toward recovery. He was a sportsman who loved to golf, ­savored foreign travel, and appreciated music of all kinds.

He survived the death of his wife, Jean, and was survived by daughters Stacy Goes and Elaine Trzasko; son, George E. Hawes; and stepdaughters Sylvia Billig and Ann Bradfield. Memorial contributions may be made to Fall River Historical Society, 451 Rock Street, Fall River, Massachusetts, 02720.

Robert M. Jaffe '75, on July 16, 2010, after a determined battle against primary amyloidosis. The fifty-seven-year-old arts educator lived in Davis, California.

Robert was an English and drama major. He performed in many Kenyon theater productions and was the director of the Gambier Ensemble Theater and vice president of the Kenyon College Dramatic Club. He earned a master's in theater administration at the Yale School of Drama in 1978.

Robert pursued a vigorous career in the arts, beginning at the Viola Farber Dance Company in New York City, later making his way to California to join the Spreckel's Theater in San Diego. He moved to Sacramento in 1979 to become the director of the Sacramento Theater Company. Robert was then hired by the California Arts Council as its program officer.

The Sacramento Bee reported that Robert "nurtured the talents of a generation of young people." He participated in the development of legislation to create "an educational environment for young California artists." Passed in 1982, the law led to the creation of the California State Summer School for the Arts, or InnerSpark, in 1986, and Robert served as its director for twenty-four years. The school is a pre-professional, collegiate-level summer training program for high school students interested in animation, creative writing, dance, film, music, theater, and visual arts. Robert brought international recognition to the program. More than 11,000 performing and visual artists have participated. Among those who attended the program are actors James Franco and Zac Efron and singer Katharine McPhee.

He "built connections among artists, Hollywood agents and studio heads, politicians, and private foundations and corporations to raise money for the school," according to the newspaper. "Mr. Jaffe also spoke out against budget cuts for music, drama and other creative programs in public schools." Robert's message to school alumni was always "Go far, stay close!"

Robert was appreciated for his many contributions to the community, including his role as a former co-president of Congregation Bet Haverim.

He had fond memories of life at Kenyon, and his most vivid recollection was walking from the New Apartments to Ascension Hall on a crisp October day, "with the sun dancing on red leaves."

Robert was survived by his wife, Eileen; children Sarah and Ethan; parents Herbert and Evelyn; sister, Carole Felsenstein; and brother, Chuck Jaffe. Memorial contributions may be sent to the California State Summer School of the Arts, 7801 Folsom Boulevard, Suite 104, Sacramento, California, 95825, or to the Stanford University Amyloid Center, Research Fund for Dr. Ronal Witteles, Falk CV Research Center, 300 Pasteur Drive, Stanford, California, 94305.

William A. Heidrich III '76, on July 23, 2010. The resident of West Chester, Ohio, was fifty-six.

William was a biology major. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma and the brass ensemble. He earned a law degree at the Ohio State University College of Law in 1979.

William began his career in patent and licensing law at the Standard Oil Co. in Cleveland, Ohio, and in 1988 moved to Cincinnati to continue his practice in intellectual property law at Quantum Chemical.

He was interested in music and had played the trombone. William also enjoyed sailing on Lake Erie, genealogy research, SCUBA diving, and travel.

William was survived by his wife of twenty-nine years, Debra; children Emily and Bill; mother, Carol; and siblings Kathy Koch, Fran Butcher, Mary Ann Fox, Teresa (Terry) Heidrich Cole '97, John Heidrich, Christine Riley, and Pat Washington. Memorial contributions may be made to the Freestore Foodbank through or the Nature Conservancy through

Byron J. Horn '86, on July 22, 2010. The Chagrin Falls, Ohio, resident was forty-six.

Byron was a political science major. He played lacrosse, joined Delta Tau Delta, and was elected Student Council treasurer. He earned a law degree at Case ­Western Reserve University in 1989. He practiced maritime law.

Byron was survived by his wife, Kristin; children Alexander, ­Elinor, and Audrey; parents Gerald and Majda Horn; and brother, Geoff Horn. Donations in his memory may be sent to CHI Educational Foundation, care of CHI Chapter Alumni Association, Byron J. Horn, P.O. Box 14263, Cleveland, Ohio, 44114.

Lee Ann Duckett Bell '90, on August 13, 2010. The forty-two-year-old woman lived in Kansas City, Missouri.

Lee Ann was a studio art major. She joined the Fencing Club. Lee Ann went on to earn bachelor's and master's degrees in architecture at the University of Kansas.

She had worked as an architect for the Ramos Design Corporation and Nearing, Staats, Prelogar & Jones. Lee Ann is remembered by friends and family as someone with a deep appreciation of art in all its forms, a love of books and a good story, and an unflagging pursuit of knowledge.

Lee Ann was survived by her husband of ten years, Douglas, and her brother, Tom Duckett. Gifts in her memory may be sent to the Lee Ann Duckett Bell Memorial Fund at the Barstow School, 11511 State Line Road, Kansas City, Missouri, 64114.

Nadene Wright Strome Lord P'72, widow of retired Kenyon administrator Samuel S. Lord H'87, on October 10, 2010. The Peach Tree City, Georgia, woman was eighty-six.

Nadene lived in Gambier from 1952 to 1988, and she was widely known in the Knox County community. She hosted Coffee Cup, a daily radio show broadcast by WMVO for about ten years in the 1960s and '70s. She conducted on-air interviews, including many with Kenyon guests and visiting lecturers. Nadene had also worked in the 1970s as the public relations director for the old Martin Memorial Hospital in Mount Vernon. At Kenyon, she sometimes acted in College drama productions before women students were admitted in 1969.

"She was vibrant, very active," said her daughter Barbara Strome. "She was curious, an inquisitive person. She was interested in meeting people and getting to know them."

Samuel S. Lord died in 1997, ten years after he retired from Kenyon, where he worked for twenty-eight years. Samuel Lord served as vice president for finance, treasurer-business manager, and business manager. The couple moved to Pinehurst, North Carolina, after he retired.

In addition to Barbara Strome, Nadene was survived by her children David W. Strome '72 and Margaret Strome Davisson; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Back to Top DeliciousFacebook FacebookStumbleUpon StumbleUponDigg Diggreddit reddit