Daijiro Kawasaki '29. Daijiro was a resident of Tokyo, Japan.

Daijiro was an economics major. He was a member of the tennis team and Alpha Delta Phi.

He was born in Tokyo on October 26, 1906, and returned to Japan after Kenyon to begin his career with the Daihyaku Mutual Life Insurance Co. He became managing director in 1949, senior managing director in 1959, executive vice president in 1963, president in 1965, and chairman of the board of directors in 1973. Over the years, he was a generous donor to the Kenyon Fund.

Daijiro was survived by his wife, Waka; daughter, Sakako Kawasaki; and son, Teijiro Kawasaki.

Robert S. Mill '39, on November 8, 2010. Robert was ninety-five and lived in Mount Vernon, Ohio.

Robert played football at Kenyon and went on to a forty-two-year career as a draftsman with Cooper Energy Services, retiring in 1978.

He was active in social clubs, and he enjoyed drawing, painting, and making greeting cards with a roses theme.

Robert was preceded in death by Mary, his wife of sixty-seven years. Memorial contributions may be made to the Mulberry Street United Methodist Church, 205 North Mulberry Street, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050, or the Hospice of Knox County, 17700 Coshocton Rd., Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050.

John R. Peterson '40, on November 27, 2010. He was ninety-two and a resident of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio.

John was part of the Glee Club and the Chapel Choir, and he worked as an electrician for the Kenyon Drama Club. He also attended Spencerian College. During and after World War II, from 1941 to 1947, he served as a chief yeoman in the U.S. Navy.

He worked for the Shelby Insurance Co. for more than thirty years. He was a member of social clubs. John is remembered as a raconteur, sharing stories of his travels and experiences.

John was preceded in death by his wife, Edna, and son, Andrew Peterson. He was survived by his son, Stephen Peterson. Memorial donations may be sent to the Humane Society of Greater Akron, 7996 Darrow Road, Twinsburg, Ohio, 44087; St. Paul's Episcopal Church, 1361 W. Market Street, Akron, Ohio, 44313; or the Hospice of Summa, 525 E. Market Street, Suite 2D, Akron, Ohio, 44304.

Martin L. Shaw Jr. '40, on February 6, 2011. He was ninety-three and lived in Wilmington, Delaware.

He was an economics major. Martin embarked on a forty-year career with the DuPont Co. and retired in 1980 as Plastics Department manager for the wire and cable industry. He was a member of the Wire & Cable Association, the Society of Plastics Industry, and the Plastics Pioneers of America.

Martin was survived by his wife, Elaine; children Marilyn Baer and Martin L. Shaw III; two grandchildren; and four great grandchildren. Memorial donations may be sent to the Marshallton United Methodist Church Elevator Fund, 1105 Stanton Road, Wilmington, Delaware, 19808.

William L. Davis III '41, on May 20, 2005. He was eighty-seven and a resident of Oceanside, California.

William joined Psi Upsilon. He became a sales engineer for Elect-Air Tool.

He survived the 1984 death of his wife, Joanne. William was survived by daughters Suewellyn Arnhalt and Wendy Hearn; son, William Davis IV; and five grandchildren. Memorial donations may be sent to Elizabeth Hospice, 150 W. Crest Street, Escondido, California, 92025.

Robert H. "Bob" Myers '41, on February 26, 2011. The Hamilton, Ohio, resident was ninety-one.

Bob was an English major. He joined Alpha Delta Phi. He then served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He earned a master's in business administration at Indiana University in 1948 and a doctorate in 1952.

Bob was an emeritus professor of marketing at the School of Business at Miami University. He retired in 1984. Bob served on the Business Advisory Council at Miami. He was also a marketing and management consultant.

He was active in the community of Oxford, Ohio, and promoted the community's business environment. He enjoyed riding a bicycle, walking, and jogging. He was a generous supporter of Kenyon.

Bob was preceded in death by his wife, Joan, and his son, Robert Myers. He was survived by his daughters Stephanie Hill and Susie Myers; son, Michael Myers; nine grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Memorial donations may be sent to the Oxford Rotary Club, 52 East Park Place, #4, Oxford, Ohio, 45056.

Richard H. Miller '42, on October 30, 2010. Richard was ninety and a resident of Pittsburgh.

Richard was a member of the tennis team and Psi Upsilon.

He was a glider pilot in the U.S. Army Air Forces during World War II and flew men and supplies into battle as a second lieutenant. "Despite the intense enemy flak, dad never hesitated in his mission," his daughter, Pamela Miller, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "My father was proud to have served his country." He left the service in 1945 with seven battle stars.

He later joined the Fort Pitt Chemical Co., which his family founded in 1910, and eventually became company president. Richard was known for his work ethic. "Although dad played golf on Saturdays, he'd spend the mornings in his office," Miller said. "Dad's customers appreciated dealing with my father."

Richard was past president of the Pennsylvania Golf Association, and he encouraged young people to learn the game throughout the state. Richard and his wife, Janet, had mastered ballroom dancing. He was also much involved with the Shadyside Presbyterian Church.

In addition to his wife and daughter, Richard was survived by sons Richard H. Miller Jr. and Charles A. Miller; a dozen grandchildren; and eleven great grandchildren.

Billee T. Scott '43, on November 30, 2010. The resident of Palm Coast, Florida, was ninety.

He was a member of Alpha Delta Phi.

Ronald W. Kobes '47, on November 9, 2010. He was eighty-four and lived in Holland, Michigan.

Ronald was a member of Sigma Pi and left Kenyon to serve in the U.S. Navy during World War II. He later attended Marquette University.

In a 1945 letter to Kenyon, Ronald wrote, "Kenyon is a very pleasant memory to all of us and many of the fellows dream of the day when they can walk down that center path once again and sing songs on Sundays."

Ronald took a job with Standard Oil in Milwaukee before joining the family business, Lokker Rutgers, in Holland in 1954. He was a member of social clubs, loved to fish, and enjoyed Florida vacations.

He was survived by his wife, Judy; daughters Lynn Kobes and Sarah Kleinjans; son, Jerome Kobes; and five grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be sent to Hospice of Holland, 270 Hoover Boulevard, Holland, Michigan, 49423.

Walker M. Bagby '49 P'81, on November 28, 2010, after a short illness. He was eighty-six and a resident of Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

Walker was an economics major. He joined Beta Theta Pi. After one semester, in 1942, he was drafted into the U.S. Army during World War II and sent to Wendover, Utah, to work as a technical analyst during the building of the Fat Man atomic bomb that was exploded over Nagasaki, Japan, in 1945. Walker returned to Kenyon after the war.

He went to work at his family's commercial building and restoration company, the Western Waterproofing Co., in Cleveland, Ohio, for two years before moving to the home office in Detroit, where he served as president.

Walker survived the 2005 death of Joanne, his wife of fifty-four years. He was survived by his daughter, Nancy; son, Walker Bagby '81; and two grandchildren. Memorial gifts may be sent to the Little Traverse Conservancy, 3264 Powell Road, Harbor Springs, Michigan, 49740.

Harry Michael "Mike" Mathis Jr. '49 GP '09, on March 3, 2011, after a long illness. The resident of Cincinnati was eighty-two.

Mike was a psychology major. He played lacrosse and joined Delta Tau Delta. He loved his college years and was known to fraternity brothers as "the Seal." He served in the U.S. Army 101st Airborne Division and was a veteran of the Korean War. He also attended the University of Cincinnati.

He was a realtor and worked in commercial real estate.

Mike was preceded in death by his son Harry Michael Mathis III. He was survived by Jean Carolyn, his wife of sixty years; daughter, Ann Schoeny; son, Ward Mathis; and four grandchildren, including Samantha Schoeny '09. Memorial donations may be made to Crossroads Hospice, 4360 Glendale-Milford Road, Cincinnati, Ohio, 45242, or the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy, 3860 North Long Lake Road, Suite D, Traverse City, Michigan, 49684.

John A. Bartlett '50, on December 18, 2010. He was eighty-two and a resident of Sarasota, Florida.

John was a biology major. He was class president during his sophomore year, captain of the 1948 undefeated swimming team, and played football and lacrosse. He joined Delta Tau Delta. He earned a degree in dentistry from the University of Michigan in 1952. At Michigan, he was president of the Psi Omega dental fraternity.

He served as an officer in the U.S. Air Force Dental Corps and worked in a mobile army surgical hospital during the Korean War. He reached the rank of major and was assigned to the NATO air base at Chateauroux, France.

John was a prominent dentist, specializing in restorative dentistry and lecturing for the American College of Dentists and the American Academy of Restorative Dentistry throughout the United States and Europe. His articles were published in various dentistry journals. He practiced for twenty-five of his thirty-five-year career with his father, Avery Bartlett, in Detroit and, later, Birmingham, Michigan. The dental practice is the oldest in Michigan. John shared the podium with his father several times during joint lectures at dental meetings. John was also a visiting lecturer at the University of Texas, University of Virginia, University of Mexico, and the Royal Dental College in London.

John was a lifelong sailor and was a men's champion of the Michigan Inland Yachting Association and national champion of the Rebel Class Sailing Association. He served on the board of directors of the U.S. Yacht Racing Union and was an advisor to the U.S. Olympic Team. John held leadership positions at the Huron-Portage Yacht Club and the Michigan Inland Yachting Association. He later was a founding member of the Bent Tree Country Club in Sarasota, Florida.

John was survived by Betty Mae, his wife of sixty-one years; daughters Nancy Hollingsworth and Susan Noel; son, Avery Bartlett II; and seven grandchildren.

James B. "Jim" Brooks '50, on June 3, 2009. The resident of Houston was eighty.

Jim was a political science major. He joined the Middle Kenyon Association. He graduated from Stanford University in 1950. He attended the Yale University School of Law. He also served in the U.S. Navy. He moved to Houston, where he founded Houston Barge and Boat Sales in 1964. He enjoyed traveling and was proud to note that he had visited every continent except Antarctica.

Jim was preceded in death by his wife, Geneva. He was survived by his second wife, Evelyn; daughter Jennifer Slivensky; step-children Terrell Cochran and Sherry Speck; two grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; and three step-great grandchildren.

Robin S. Cordner '50 on October 28, 2010. Robin, eighty-one, lived in Dennisport, Massachusetts.

Robin was an economics major. He was part of the baseball, lacrosse, and track teams and was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma and the Spanish Club. He earned a master's from Westfield State College in 1968. Robin served in the U.S Navy during the Korean War and retired from the Navy Reserves as a lieutenant commander.

He became a special education teacher at West Springfield High School. Robin moved to Cape Cod after retirement. He enjoyed taking cruises, playing bingo, and rooting for the Boston Red Sox.

Robin was survived by his wife, Marilyn; daughters Robin Turro and Carrie Guyer; son, Randy Cordner; brother, Ian Cordner; sister, Penelope Lennihan; eight grandchildren; and two great grandchildren. Memorial contributions may be made to the Special Olympics of Massachusetts, Yawkey Sports Training Center, 512 Forest Street, Marlborough, Massachusetts, 01752.

Raymond G. Reid '50, on January 29, 2011. He was eighty-eight and lived in Chicago.

Raymond was an economics major. He played lacrosse and joined Phi Kappa Sigma.

He immigrated to the United States from England in 1925 and, although not yet a citizen, he joined the U.S. Army during World War II and served as a radio operator in France.

Raymond worked for the Square D Co. in Ohio and Illinois and retired as manager of employee benefits in 1987 after thirty-five years. He was involved in corporate personnel policy and won a reputation with the company and with labor union leadership as a tough and fair negotiator.

As a longtime resident of Schaumburg, Illinois, he was involved in community affairs. Raymond enjoyed playing tennis and golf.

"My memories of the school, my classmates, the beautiful setting are most fond," he wrote to the College in 1973. "These things and the excellent education I received enriched my life greatly."

He was preceded in death by Miriam, his wife of fifty-five years. He was survived by daughters Alice Reid, Sue Reid, and Kathy Iverhouse; sons Jeff Reid and Phil Reid; nine grandchildren; two great grandchildren; and brother, Richard Vardaris. Memorial donations may be sent to Heifer International, 1 World Avenue, Little Rock, Arkansas, 72202, or the Appalachia Service Project, 4523 Bristol Highway, Johnson City, Tennessee, 37601.

Bill Bosworth Ranney '52, on January 10, 2011. The Tampa, Florida, resident was eighty-one and had suffered from Alzheimer's disease and other ailments.

Bill was a history major. He joined Delta Tau Delta. He played football and was part of the undefeated team of 1950. He remained a fan of the Lords as an alumnus and often attended games, making it a practice to deliver apples to the players after the contests.

Bill, who had earlier served as president of the alumni association and chairman of the Kenyon Fund, was an alumni trustee of the College from 1972 to 1978 and a trustee-at-large from 1978 to 1990. At his retirement from the board, he was awarded the status of trustee emeritus. Bill's other activities on Kenyon's behalf included service as a campaign committee member, class agent, phonathon volunteer, and regional association officer.

In a long career in business, Bill worked for several large companies, including American Ship Building and Wheeling Steel Corp., and operated his own management-consulting firm, B.B. Ranney Associates. At American Ship Building, he became acquainted with one of the company's principals, George Steinbrenner, famous for his role as owner of the New York Yankees. Bill maintained a friendship with Steinbrenner long after leaving American Ship Building and retired three years ago as a senior archivist for the Yankees.

"He was strong; he was nurturing," said Joanne Ranney, who met her husband-to-be in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, during the spring break of Bill Ranney's senior year at the College. "He was loving and caring, and he had a good sense of humor."

Bill was survived by his wife, whom he married in 1954; daughter, Judith Ranney; sons Keith Ranney and Michael Ranney; and five grandchildren. Donations in Bill's memory, which he wished to be directed to the Lords football team, may be made to Kenyon in care of the Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Ethan A. Turshen '54, on February 9, 2009. Ethan was seventy-five and lived in Arlington, Virginia.

Ethan's major was biology. He joined Alpha Delta Phi. He earned a master's degree in public administration at Syracuse University in 1955 and a law degree at George Washington University in 1961. He retired as a colonel from the U.S. Air Force Reserve.

He worked for the Atomic Energy Commission and later practiced law.

Ethan was survived by his wife, Deirdre; daughters Rose, Sarah, and Sophie Turshen; sister, Meredeth Turshen; and brother, Keith Turshen.

Carmen J. Arrigo '57, on November 24, 2010. The resident of Macedonia, Ohio, was seventy-five.

Carmen's major was modern languages and literatures. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma and was a yearbook editor. Carmen served in the U.S. Army in 1958-60 and was secretary to the regimental commander at Fort Jackson, South Carolina.

He worked as an office manager for the Ohio Overall Cleaning Co. in Cleveland, Ohio.

Thomas S. Tomlinson '59, on October 28, 2010, of cancer. The resident of Franklin, Tennessee, was seventy-three.

Thomas was an economics major. He joined Phi Kappa Sigma and was fraternity president. He later studied business administration at Drexel University.

He embarked on a career in the insurance industry and later owned Aide Pension Administration and provided benefits consulting services. Thomas was an automobile aficionado, collector of antique cars, and a member of several classic car and cruising clubs. He also collected antique furniture. He was a generous supporter of the College.

Thomas was survived by his sister, Marifrances Hiltz. Memorial contributions may be sent to CMR Building Fund, CLC Office, Post Office Box 36083, Columbus, Ohio, 43236.

The Rev. William "Bill" Senter Jr. B'61, on February 9, 2009, of cancer. He lived in Jackson, Mississippi, and was seventy-three.

Bill joined Delta Tau Delta. He also graduated from the University of the South and went on to earn a master's of divinity degree at Colgate Rochester Divinity School.

Bill was pastor at the Church of the Epiphany in Lebanon, Tennessee, in the 1960s and 1970s, and he was active in community theater and civic affairs. In 1961, he became part of the Governor's Advisory Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse. He served at several other parishes in Tennessee, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

He was survived by his wife, Linda; daughter, Lydia Senter; son, Matt Senter; and a grandson.

David P. VanLooy Sr. '63, on December 11, 2010. He was seventy-one and a resident of Lansing, Michigan.

David was an economics major. He joined the Chamber Singers and Delta Phi. He earned a master's degree in business administration at the University of Detroit in 1974.

He worked for General Motors in the Cadillac Division in the personnel department and for IBM in industrial sales before he became a stockbroker and financial planner for First of Michigan Corp. and later Oppenheimer and Co.

David was active in the community and the Peoples Church, where he served on the Council of Elders and in the choir. He enjoyed exercise and travel.

He was survived by his wife, Dorothy; son, David "Chip" VanLooy; daughter, Denice VanLooy; two grandchildren; and sisters Carol Tapp and Margaret Leib. Memorial donations may be sent to the Greater Lansing Food Bank, NBD Commerce Bank, Post Office Box 16224, Lansing, Michigan, 48901.

Myron D. "Mike" Harrison '65, on August 14, 2010. He lived in Marietta, Georgia, and was sixty-seven.

Mike was a political science major. He joined Delta Tau Delta and the Kenyon Klan. He played football, was the president of his sophomore class, and was a head waiter in Peirce Hall. Mike earned a law degree at Ohio State University in 1969. He practiced law in Georgia.

Joseph D. Terrence '67, on December 5, 2010. He was sixty-four and a resident of DeLand, Florida.

Joseph's major was chemistry. He also attended Duke University. He was drafted into the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War and spent a year in Vietnam as a medic.

Joseph ran a pet store in New York and, later, a gift store in Florida. He enjoyed the beach and hiking in the woods.

He was survived by his wife, Claudia; son, Peter Terrence; and brother, Christopher Terrence.

J. Bruce Herd '69, on March 12, 2007. The resident of Claymont, Delaware, was fifty-nine.

Bruce left Kenyon to enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War. He earned two Purple Heart medals. He was in Vietnam for twenty-five days when he suffered shrapnel wounds in the chest and shoulder on April 18, 1968, while on patrol near Quang Tri in the Republic of Vietnam. He graduated from the University of Cincinnati with a degree in psychology in 1971 and earned a law degree at Cincinnati in 1974.

He launched a career in banking, including at the Philadelphia National Bank and the CoreStates Bank, both in Philadelphia.

Bruce was survived by his wife, Nan. M. Richman; sisters Lisa Farthing and Jana Edberg; and brother, Jim Herd. Memorial contributions may be sent to the American Heart Association, 1501 Casho Mill Road, Newark, Delaware, 19711.

Richard Schifman '70, on October 23, 2004. He was fifty-six.

Richard's major was biology.

Patrick "Pat" Guilfoyle '73, on November 20, 2010. The resident of Washington, D.C., was sixty.

Pat was an English major. An active and adept student, he served as secretary-treasurer of the Film Society (which notably overspent its budget that year), a member of the Student Lectureships Committee, and head resident advisor in Gund Residence Hall. Pat was named to the Merit List all four of his years at the College, and he was invited to join the honors program in the English department at the end of his sophomore year.

During his years at Kenyon, Pat had a devoted circle of friends, including both students and faculty members. They appreciated him for his often wicked wit—he was especially adept at assigning embarrassing nicknames—and his proficiency as a raconteur. The latter was abetted greatly by both a richly modulated voice (the product of childhood acting experience) and a skill that a faculty friend once described as "the ability to talk about any book ever written, even those he hasn't read."

Pat also had, and never lost, a very personal sense of style, enhanced by his remarkable shock of red hair. In college, while his classmates were wearing faded plaid shirts and limp woolen sweaters, he was wearing cashmere, and the occasional silk cravat. While others decorated their rooms with a hodgepodge of posters affixed to their walls with tape, Pat had a carefully selected collection of matted and framed prints hung on hooks installed by the Maintenance Department at his request. In later life, he delighted in bespoke shirts from Savile Row, movies and movie memorabilia, oriental rugs of every size and hue, and leather-bound volumes of literary classics. His final purchase, shortly before his death, was a cashmere coat from Ralph Lauren.

After earning his degree from Kenyon, cum laude and with highest honors in English, Pat studied briefly at Yale University but found that advanced study wasn't what he wanted. Instead, he took a job in the District of Columbia Superior Court, where he met Julia O'Brien, his future wife. Both went on to graduate from law school at Georgetown University, with Pat joining the Washington law firm of Ashcraft and Gerel. He practiced there for more than a decade, devoting most of his time to personal-injury law, especially with regard to asbestos-related litigation (on the plaintiffs' side). After leaving Ashcraft and Gerel, Pat worked as a legal consultant and writer.

Pat and Julia were married in Kenyon's Church of the Holy Spirit, where both of their children would be christened. Officiating at all of these celebrations was the Rev. Richard Harbour, a former College chaplain and Harcourt Parish rector who was also a surrogate father to Pat, who would see him through his old age and then serve as his executor. Pat, Julia, and their children were frequent visitors to Gambier and frequent hosts to Kenyon friends visiting Washington, D.C., where Pat, always quick with a film or literary reference, had christened the family's imposing Tudor Revival house (equipped, of course, with a third-floor home theater)—what else?—"Greystoke."

Pat remained a devoted and engaged alumnus. A longtime friend and mentor to Kenyon Review editor David Lynn '76, whose resident advisor he had been, Pat was among the earliest trustees of the Review, serving from 1998 through 2005. He was also active as an admissions volunteer, phonathon caller, and reunion planner.

He had been in declining health since suffering a stroke eighteen months before his death. Pat is survived by his children, Daniel and Katherine, and his former wife, Julia O'Brien. Memorial contributions may be made to the scholarship fund of the Young Writers Program of the Kenyon Review, Finn House, 102 West Wiggin Street, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

M. Peter "Pete" Miller III '83, on February 3, 2011. The Peru, Illinois, man was fifty.

Pete was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma. He went on to graduate from the University of Minnesota.

He became president of Miller Group Media, which owns the NewsTribune of LaSalle, Illinois; AgriNews Publications; Ottawa Delivered; and LaSalle County Broadcasting.

"We remember Pete as someone who enriched all of our lives," Joyce McCullough, publisher of the NewsTribune, said in a story in the newspaper. "Pete cared deeply about the news, our organizations, the lives of the people who work here and their families."

Pete and his wife, Catherine Eberwine Miller '83, raised golden retrievers and participated in golden retriever rescue groups. They were also active in the March of Dimes. And he was the driving force behind the construction of the Miller Building, a state-of-the-art aquatic and physical therapy center, at the Illinois Valley YMCA."Pete was a kind, generous and extremely talented individual," Dave Potthoff, chief executive officer of the YMCA, told the newspaper.

In addition to his wife, Pete was survived by his sister, Kristie Miller, and brother, Mark Miller.

Andrew W. "Andy" Kotowicz '95, after a car accident, on October 24, 2010. The Seattle resident was thirty-seven.

Andy majored in anthropology and sociology. He was a WKCO disc jockey.

A music enthusiast, he began his career in the industry in 1996 with Spongebath Records in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, and moved on to KOCH Records and Razor and Tie in New York City. He landed his "dream job" at Sub Pop Records, the Seattle label that had introduced the grunge band Nirvana. At Sub Pop, Andy was vice president of sales and marketing and also scouted new bands.

The Seattle Times called him "revered and much-loved." Megan Jasper, Sub Pop managing director, told the newspaper, "People like Andy don't come around more than once in a lifetime. He knew radio. He knew publicity. He knew retail, and he had an extraordinary talent in how it all worked out." Label general manager Chris Jacobs called him a "true believer."

Jasper credited Andy with resurrecting the label after a downhill slide before he arrived in 2000. The label then had major success with the bands the Shins, Fleet Foxes, Postal Service, Mudhoney, and the music/comedy duo Flight of the Conchords.

Seattle record-store owner Matt Vaughan called him "the greatest ambassador Sub Pop ever had." His death was an "immeasurable loss" for the Seattle music scene, according to

Seth Timbs, a former colleague at Spongebath, told Nashville Scene that Andy had an encyclopedic knowledge of music and a sense of universal good will. "He was just a great guy," Timbs said.

Andy was injured on October 21 when his car was struck from behind and forced into another vehicle. His three-year-old daughter, Anna, was rescued from the burning car by the owner of a nearby restaurant. Andy was an organ donor.

Andy is survived by his wife, Jocelyn Boyea Kotowicz '94; his daughter; parents Bill and Michele Kotowicz; sister, Madeline Kotowicz; and grandparents, Frances and James Whittaker. Memorial contributions may be sent to the Andy Kotowicz Family Foundation, c/o Sub Pop Records, 2013 Fourth Avenue, Third Floor, Seattle, Washington, 98121.

Nadene Wright Strome Lord, widow of retired Kenyon administrator Samuel S. Lord H'87, died on October 10, 2010, in Peach Tree City, Georgia. Nadene was eighty-six.

Nadene lived in Gambier from 1952 to 1988, and she was widely known in the Knox County community. She hosted "Coffee Cup," a daily radio show broadcast by WMVO for about ten years in the 1960s and '70s. She conducted on-air interviews, including many with Kenyon guests and visiting lecturers. Nadene had also worked in the 1970s as the public relations director for the old Martin Memorial Hospital in Mount Vernon. At Kenyon, she sometimes acted in College drama productions before women students were admitted in 1969.

"She was vibrant, very active," said her daughter Barbara Strome. "She was curious, an inquisitive person. She was interested in meeting people and getting to know them."

Nadene was born in Nashville, Tennessee, and graduated from Vanderbilt University in 1946. Samuel S. Lord died in 1997, ten years after he retired from Kenyon, where he worked for twenty-eight years. Samuel Lord served as vice president for finance, treasurer-business manager, and business manager. The couple moved to Pinehurst, North Carolina, after he retired.

In addition to Barbara Strome, Nadene was survived by her children David W. Strome '72 and Margaret Strome Davisson; three grandchildren; and two great grandchildren.

Kevin M. Britz, a gentle man who inspired his students and was trusted by his colleagues, died on January 7, 2011, of cancer at his home in Durango, Colorado.

Kevin, fifty-six, was the director of the Center of Southwest Studies at Fort Lewis College and was the former associate director of the Kenyon Academic Program and a former assistant professor of American studies at Kenyon. He was the father of Emma Britz '08 and Madalyn Britz and the former husband of Jennifer Delahunty, dean of admissions and financial aid. His career was based on American history and museum studies.

"He was a gentle and supportive colleague who the students adored," said Peter Rutkoff, professor of American studies. "He was very good at what he did. He was always there. He was always just really present. He was perfectly suited to teaching."

Kevin was a mentor to Janae Peters '10, who now teaches at the Northfield Mount Hermon school in Mount Hermon, Massachusetts. "He was the first person I knew outside of my family who expressed his full and complete belief in me," she said. "He's my hero."

Peters first visited Kenyon from her home in Cleveland, Ohio, when she was 15, as part of the Summer Kenyon Academic Program that introduces high school students to the college experience. Peters, "young and naïve," told Kevin that her dream was to become a college professor but she believed that career was reserved "only for white men." Kevin responded over three weeks by introducing the class to members of the Kenyon faculty who were not white males. At the end of the program, Kevin named Peters the person "most likely to become a Ph.D." She is now preparing for graduate school.

"It was one of the most meaningful experiences of my educational career," Peters said. "I was in his office every day. I went to him with every decision I had to make. Even after he left, I called him to talk about big decisions in my life. He was amazing. He was solid. He was encouraging yet so realistic.

"He let me do most of the talking, but he told me not to live anyone else's dream. Live your own dream because of the shortness of life, not knowing how much time you have left."

Kevin joined the Kenyon community in 2003. He left the college in 2007 and joined the Department of History at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. In July 2008, he took the reins of the Center for Southwest Studies. The center specializes in research in local and regional history and includes a museum, special collections library, and archive.

"He had a keen ability to spot the talents, the unused talents, of his staff and students, and he helped to bring those to the forefront," said Elayne Silversmith, librarian at the center. "He brought out the best in professional ability. He always wanted you to think in extraordinary terms and to create collections and exhibitions that promoted dialogue. He wanted thought-provoking exhibitions." The current exhibit at the center is Mountain Lion!—the most successful in the center's history.

"I am a member of the Navajo Nation," Silversmith said. "Kevin had a great respect for native people and native cultures, and we trusted him. That says a lot about a non-native director of this institution. He was very inclusive," she said. "We're sad."

Before arriving at Kenyon, Kevin worked as vice president for programs and director of exhibits at the High Desert Museum in Bend, Oregon; deputy director and museum curator at the Stearns County Historical Society in St. Cloud, Minnesota; exhibit technician at the Museum of the Great Plains in Lawton, Oklahoma; and exhibit preparer at the Arizona Historical Society in Tucson, Arizona. He earned a bachelor's degree in history and anthropology from Knox College and a master's degree and doctorate in U.S. history at the University of Arizona. He specialized in the cultural history of the American West in the 19th and 20th centuries and was interested in the intersection of popular culture and community identity. And he enjoyed Western movies, Rutkoff said.

In addition to his daughters, Kevin was survived by his wife, Kate Bentham, and his father, Daniel Britz.

Carl T. Brehm, emeritus professor of economics and a guiding hand for students and colleagues, died on February 10, 2011, in the company of his family. The Gambier resident was eighty-six.

His wife of sixty-two years, Lois, is an accomplished musician and was a longtime adjunct member of the music faculty. Carl taught economics at Kenyon from 1963 to 1995, when he was awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters degree.

"He became really close to quite a few of his students," said Bruce Gensemer, emeritus professor of economics, of Durham, North Carolina. "He was sort of a father figure to his students. He was a low-key fellow and brought a fair amount of humor into the class." He was also a firm critic of student writing on economics and helped develop and refine the department's approach to seminars. "He was certainly one of the most influential people in our department," Gensemer said.

Carl taught seminars in the areas of government regulation, health economics, and industrial organization. "He sort of changed over the years," Gensemer said. "He was pretty liberal as a younger man, and he became more conservative, but he wasn't bombastic or ideological."

"He was the best," said Edward B. Schwartz '89 of Solon, Ohio. "He was a great teacher, a great mentor, a great friend, and a confidant." In 2007, Schwartz, a pension-fund investment counselor and real estate developer, created a scholarship at Kenyon in Carl's name. "His legacy will always be honored," Schwartz said. "He would do anything for his students. I'm very sad."

Carl was the advisor for Kenyon Trustee Joseph E. Lipscomb '87 of Chevy Chase, Maryland, a partner at Arborview Capital LLC. Carl, he said, was adept at putting complex ideas into practical context and brought a creative element into his classroom or while conducting seminars over dinner at his home. "We used to have our senior seminars at his house," Lipscomb said. "We spent hours talking in his living room.

"He was somebody who was always available. He loved teaching. He was a really high-quality person, a special person. He impacted a lot of people."

Carl was an Iowa native and earned a bachelor's degree in 1949 at Drake University, where he also earned a master's, in 1951. His doctorate came at Indiana University in 1958. Following a stint as an economist with the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland and several years as a faculty member at Michigan State University, Carl came to Kenyon as an associate professor of economics. He won tenure and promotion to full professor in 1968 and served at various times as faculty secretary and as chairman of both the economics department and the social sciences division.

After he retired, Carl served from January 2000 to December 2003 as a member of the Gambier Village Council, where he was a strong voice for fiscal conservatism. "He was not very satisfied with some of the fiscal issues and so forth," Gensemer recalled. "He was quite a gadfly on village council."

Carl's daughters Susan Hall and Barbara Curtis both mentioned his love for teaching and his strict approach in the classroom. "He insisted they learn," Hall said. Curtis added, "He was the old guard."

He enjoyed walking and was an avid reader, with a love of history. And Carl was a "terrific" father, Curtis said.

In addition to his wife and daughters, Carl is survived by four grandchildren, including Ian Curtis '12. Gifts in Carl's memory may be sent to the Brehm Scholarship Fund, Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Kenyon College, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Dorothy E. Jegla H'97 P'89, professor emerita of biology, who died on February 19, 2010, was at home in the natural world. She was seventy-one.

She was known for her study of sunflowers, fascination with birds, and skill in garden and lab. Dorothy's gentle soul served her well but her inner strength stands out to her husband of forty-six years, Professor Emeritus of Biology Thomas C. Jegla. "She was a tough one," he said. "Very smart. Her main interest was conserving the world."

Dorothy felt it was important for the family to protect their thirty-five-acre Knox County property by a conservation easement arranged through the Philander Chase Corporation.

She was a pioneering woman on the Kenyon faculty with a devotion to students. Dorothy taught plant biology and developmental biology and became a leading expert in the sunflower. She joined Kenyon as a laboratory instructor in 1971 and became an assistant professor of biology three years later. She interrupted her time at Kenyon to return to Yale to finish work on her doctorate, completed in 1985.

he was granted tenure and promotion to associate professor in 1987 and was appointed to full professor in 1990. She served as department chair before retiring in 1997, when she was awarded an honorary doctorate of science. Dorothy won the Trustee Award for Distinguished Teaching in its inaugural year, 1989.

Dorothy was an "inspiring role model for women faculty" and was among the first women to earn the rank of full professor, Professor of Biology Joan Slonczewski said. "She helped transform our department into a modern biology program. She led the modernization of our core program, particularly the core laboratory course. She built strength in molecular and plant biology, designing the course in which all introductory students conduct an independent project."

The Dorothy E. and Thomas C. Jegla Prize, endowed by a Kenyon parent, recognizes the first-year student or students who show the most promise in biology as a result of that research project.

Professor of Biology Kathryn L. Edwards described Dorothy as the mother of the Department of Biology program now in place. "It was her conceptual vision for our strong and progressive foundation course in experimental biology ... that develops student skills in scientific writing, experimental questioning and design, and data analysis and statistics," she said.

"Her courses were demanding," Edwards added. And Dorothy was a meticulous researcher with "a quietly sharp mind."

She was a calming influence for some members of the faculty, Professor of Biology Harry Itagaki said. Generally quiet in public, she often provided spice in social conversation. She disliked pretense, ego, and waste. "What I'll always remember is her utter, child-like wonder at the natural world," Itagaki said.

Her commitment to students was apparent. They were frequent visitors to the Jegla property for picnics, dinners, and hands-on research. Dorothy "never let the department forget to consider what any decision we made would hold for the student," Edwards said.

To Beth Welty Dreyfuss '87 of Los Angeles, Dorothy was prized as an advisor and mentor. "She put so much personal effort into her students," Dreyfuss said. "She was excellent in the classroom." Dreyfuss was Dorothy's first honors student and recalls planting and caring for sunflowers on the Jegla farm as a Summer Science Scholar. "She had such varied interests. They were avid birdwatchers. They had a variety of apples growing out there. She made her own granola," Dreyfuss said. "They embodied organic gardening and local foods way before Kenyon took it on."

Dorothy was a native of Brooklyn, New York, and grew up in Springfield, Vermont. "She was really a Vermonter," her husband said. Her interest in the natural world developed as a child, when she collected insects and spent years as a camper and then counselor at a New England summer camp. She earned a bachelor's degree at Mount Holyoke College in 1961 and a master's at Yale in 1964. The couple met in a Yale laboratory.

Dorothy balanced her role in the lab and classroom with her role as a mother, rearing two sons who sometimes joined her in the lab after school and tucked toys in a lab drawer. One student babysitter was Libby Goldstein '77 P'12 of Seattle. "She was very inspirational to me," Goldstein said. "It was one of those relationships that Kenyon affords you. In later years, we became friends. She was a caring person."

After retirement, the Jeglas enrolled in Kenyon as students of Spanish and honed their language skills during several bird-watching trips to Latin and South America. "We were great birdwatchers," Tom Jegla said. Dorothy listed sightings of more than 100 bird species on their property, including more than 70 that nested.

"I will always associate her with the sunflower, her main research organism," Slonczewski said. "Her glowing face, cheerful as a sunflower, was always a source of hope and comfort for students facing the challenge of biology."

In addition to her husband, Dorothy is survived by her sons John Jegla '89 and Timothy Jegla, and two grandsons. Donations in Dorothy's memory may be made to the Dorothy E. and Thomas C. Jegla Prize, Office of Development, 105 Chase Avenue, Gambier, Ohio, 43022.

Gordon Johnson, a member of the College's chemistry faculty from 1962 until his retirement in 1996, died on February 21, 2011, following a long illness. He was seventy-eight.

A native of Newark, Ohio, Gordon graduated from Newark High School in 1950 and four years later earned a B.S., magna cum laude, at Ohio University, where he won high honors in chemistry and a Phi Beta Kappa key. He went on to receive a Ph.D. in inorganic chemistry, along with membership in Phi Lambda Upsilon and Sigma Xi, at the University of Illinois in 1958, after which he became an assistant professor at Duke University. He spent the summers of 1960 and 1961 as a participant in research conducted by the Institute of Nuclear Studies at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory.

Gordon, who came to Kenyon in 1962 as an assistant professor of chemistry, won tenure and promotion to associate professor in 1965 and promotion to full professor in 1969. In addition to the department's introductory course, he taught a variety of courses in analytical, inorganic, and physical chemistry. His interest in the problems of world energy supply led him to develop a popular course entitled "Energy, Science, and Society."

Known for his rapport with students, Gordon was an avid participant in research with Summer Science Scholars. His own research, which he pursued with funding from the F. Gardner Cottrell Research Corporation and the National Science Foundation, involved reactions catalyzed by metal-ion compounds.

Elizabeth Drotleff '91, now a senior competitive intelligence analyst at Chemical Abstracts in Columbus, Ohio, remembers Gordon as a "consummate researcher and teacher." As both her faculty advisor and Summer Science mentor, Elizabeth says, Gordon was "always so supportive and enthusiastic about my aspirations in chemistry. When our summer research took an unexpected turn, he allowed me to move away from our original goal and explore something new; we ended up investigating something neither of us had expected to discover. He truly loved chemistry, and he truly loved teaching."

Gordon directed the Great Lakes Colleges Association's Oak Ridge Semester during a 1975-76 sabbatical and, while in Tennessee, also conducted research for the U.S. Bureau of Mines. A 1983-84 sabbatical took him to Ohio State University, where his research focus was synthetic heme protein molecules.

An active participant in the governance of the Chemistry Department, the Natural Sciences Division, and the faculty, Gordon was his department's chairman three times. During the 1995-96 academic year, he served as the first chairman of the faculty's then newly formed Tenure and Promotion Committee. At his retirement from the faculty in 1996, Gordon was awarded emeritus status and an honorary doctor of science degree.

Although their tenures overlapped only briefly, Professor of Chemistry Scott Cummings found that "Gordon was a gifted chemist, powerful educator, and compassionate colleague. During my first year of teaching at Kenyon, I was immediately struck by the deep respect Gordon had earned from students. They valued his rigor and enthusiasm, and I am certain that his many lessons—about chemistry, science, and life—have stayed with generations of alumni who work in laboratories and hospitals.

"A few years after he retired, we had to pack up much of the old chemistry building for our move into Tomsich Hall. It was then that I realized just how prolific his research had been. There were boxes and boxes of inorganic compounds synthesized in his lab, and shelves of student theses on a range of inorganic topics. Working with Gordon, even for only a short time, was an honor."

Gordon is survived by his wife, Laurel Johnson; daughters, Cheryl A. Johnson '81 and Cynthia Johnson Calley; and four grandchildren. Memorial gifts may be sent to Faith Lutheran Church, 170 Mansfield Avenue, Mount Vernon, Ohio, 43050, or Heartland Hospice Memorial Fund, Post Office Box 10086, Toledo, Ohio, 43699.

Jerrald "Jerry" Townsend, a pioneering spirit known for his varied talents and attainments, died on February 26, 2011. The Gambier resident was sixty-nine.

Friends and associates remembered Jerry as a devoted clergyman, counselor, and friend whose interests ranged from needlepoint to French medieval church history. An Episcopal priest and licensed counselor, he remained active in his church and the Knox County mental-health community until shortly before his death.

A native of North Carolina, Jerry was born August 2, 1941. He first came to Gambier in 1978 with his former wife, Margaret "Marnie" Townsend, who served six years as the College's dean for academic advising. The Townsends had previously been affiliated with Kirkland College in Clinton, New York—the coordinate women's college later absorbed by adjacent Hamilton College—where Jerry taught history and helped develop an interdisciplinary curriculum for the fledgling school.

After studying at Yale Divinity School, he earned a master's degree in divinity in 1981 and was ordained to the Episcopal priesthood in February of 1982. He served parishes throughout northeastern Ohio and in Pontiac, Michigan, and remained involved in the church after he retired from active parish ministry in 2002.

"He was a very faithful colleague fully engaged in the life of the diocese, attending our conventions and conferences and filling in for other clergy from time to time," said Rt. Rev. Mark Hollingsworth Jr., bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, who knew Jerry for seven years. "He was attentive to and interested in the lives of his colleagues."

Jerry helped break a barrier in the Episcopal Church as one of its first openly gay priests in Ohio. "He was extraordinarily faithful to a church that wasn't always faithful to him," Bishop Hollingsworth said. Today, most dioceses ordain openly gay men and women and some bless same-sex marriages.

Complementing his graduate degree in history and divinity degree with a master's degree in counseling from the University of Dayton, Jerry served the mental-health community as a board member and president of Mental Health America Knox County (formerly the Knox County Mental Health Association), and a counselor, specializing in substance-abuse and interpersonal problems for Mount Vernon Psychological Associates and the Alcohol and Drug Freedom Center of Knox County.

"He was a gracious and giving person who devoted his life to meeting the needs of others," said Dodie Melvin, executive director of Mental Health America Mount Vernon. "It came out in everything he did for us. People with mental-health issues require a lot of understanding and help. Society sets them apart, but Jerry was fighting for them all the time."

From August 1993 to March of 1995, Jerry was assistant news director in Kenyon's Office of Public Affairs. During that time, he also wrote articles for the Alumni Bulletin.

Raised an only child whose family moved every year for his father's job, Jerry was happy to call Kenyon home. "He loved being in an academic atmosphere and all the energy he got from students," said Robert E. Bennett, professor emeritus of classics and Jerry's partner of thirty years. Jerry most recently expressed his appetite for learning this spring semester when he audited a medieval history class.

Jerry enjoyed friendships with many Kenyon alumni and members of the administration, faculty, and staff. Elizabeth Emmert '86, a friend and colleague in the mental health field, saw his popularity surface during her frequent lunches with him at the Gambier Deli, Middle Ground, or the Kenyon Inn. "He said hello to everybody who walked through the doors," she said.

Psychologist Catriona Galloway Keller, a friend who served on the mental health association board with Jerry, described him as a "big man with a big personality," characterized by humor and warmth. "He was always checking in with me, worried that I was stretched too thin between my children and my job," Catriona said.

Jerry and his partner Robert served as Kenyon's unofficial welcome wagon, opening the Bennett-Townsend home at 405 East Wiggin Street to Kenyon newcomers. The couple worked hard to make Kenyon a welcoming community for faculty, administrators, and students, including gay and lesbian people. Guests eagerly anticipated the garden parties the couple regularly hosted for Jerry's birthday or the annual Ohio Episcopal Celebration at Kenyon.

During his first year of college at North Carolina State University in Raleigh, Jerry studied architecture, an interest he carried with him throughout his life. He was able to put one of his hobbies—drawing floor plans—to use when he designed the addition built in 2002 to the Wiggin Street home filled with Jerry's needlepoint and other decorative touches.

Conversant in art, architecture, opera, education, politics, and literature, Jerry personified Kenyon's liberal-arts philosophy. He was a gifted cook and gardener who spoke fluent French and loved to dance. "He enjoyed jousting with and testing his friends and liked to call himself a recovering SOB, but he had a big heart," Elizabeth Emmert said.

The simple pleasure of Jerry's company will be the memory Elizabeth cherishes the most. "He created this magnificent garden where we would sit on his deck, have a cup of tea, and chat," she said. "I used to love going there. His passing is a great loss for me and our community."

Contributions in Jerry's memory may be sent to Episcopal Relief and Development, Post Office Box 7058, Merrifield, Virginia, 22116; or The Bishop's Annual Appeal of the Episcopal Diocese of Ohio, 2230 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115; or CARE, 151 Ellis Street NE, Atlanta, Georgia, 30303.

Back to Top DeliciousFacebook FacebookStumbleUpon StumbleUponDigg Diggreddit reddit